LegacyGT.com

90k maintenance

Is it worth it? The shop I'm talking to wants 450 to do it. Has anybody recently had this service done and noticed an improvement in driving characteristics? Anybody completely skip it and still running strong at over 100k?

To clarify, I'm clearly not questioning the regular maintenance like oil changes, but the fluid flushes/diff oil changes/etc. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

What exactly is being done for $450? MT transmission fluid changes are pretty easy, and I definitely recommend doing them, how often depends on what fluid you use in my opinion. I also firmly believe in changing your rear diff fluid periodically (1x a year for me), but I pay subaru to do that since they only charge me around $40.

Personally I never skimp on maintenance. Every car I've owned has been serviced every 10,000km's (6,000 miles) with a big service at every 100,000km's with complete flushing/replacement of oil/fluids (outside of an oil change) as you've mentioned. Wear and tear can = small metal filings in the trans etc overtime which can create more issues, so a flush helps remove these (you should have seen my old BMW gearbox oil!!!). Obviously you can never be completely guaranteed of zero problems after any maintenance, but its all about minimising risk (and risk = typically a higher degree of failure = generally more $$$ out of your pocket in the long term) The only thing I'd question is what they charge for their service, get more quotes!

Their 90k includes (Oil Change, Change Automatic Transmission Fluid, Brake fluid flush, Coolant change, Tune up incl. Filters, Tire Rotation, Adjust Park Brake, Adjust Fan Belts, Adjust Clutch, Change front / rear differential fluid)

I would assume it means tranny fluid in general, not just AT.

When it comes to these cars you can never do enough routine maintenance. I would say do everything that they are telling you to do but not for that price there are plenty of other shops that will do that for cheaper. Idk where in CT you are but the shop by my house in NY that does a lot of Subaru work. I work on my car there all of the time and we do a lot of Subaru work there. The shop is called Speidell Supercars. Give them a call and they might be able to give you a price over the phone. If your close to NY that is.

Their 90k includes (Oil Change, Change Automatic Transmission Fluid, Brake fluid flush, Coolant change, Tune up incl. Filters, Tire Rotation, Adjust Park Brake, Adjust Fan Belts, Adjust Clutch, Change front / rear differential fluid)

I would assume it means tranny fluid in general, not just AT.

Are you handy with/possess tools? If you are, Oil change, brake fluid flush, tune up incl. filters, tire rotation, adjust park brake, adjust fan belts, change front/rear differential fluid are an afternoon's work and save about $300 of the $450 they want. Get the car up on jack stands and you can do it all while it's up and drop it down and all of those are done.

Have someone else flush the ATF, adjust the clutch, and flush and change the coolant. These are major systems that actually require special equipment to do a flush on and let someone else take the liability in hand if they screw up rather than you if you're not comfortable doing them.

At any rate, you can save 2/3 of the cost of all of these maintenance issues by reading a little bit, and using some tools, and spending an afternoon, and then KNOWING how to do it next time on ALL of your vehicles.;)

I just hit 100k miles. I am about to get my timing belt done and all other maintance done. Other wise I have not done anything besides Filters/Oil/Breaks/Tires/Plugs. This will be the frist time my car has been back to the local dealer. If you can do basic work on your car you can do most everything yourself.

• 6 months later...
What's exactly suppose to be done at the 90k mark? At the current moment, I'm sitting at 89,947 miles. After owning a Rubicon and learning how to do a majority of the work myself or with a buddy I feel confident I can do just about all the 90k service items.

It really depends on what, if anything, you feel comfortable doing yourself. If you are ok with fluid changes, then take care of f/r diff, trans, coolant, motor oil, and brake fluid if you're up for it.

If you want to have everything done for you then IMO you should just wait a bit and combine the 90K with the timing belt. The timing belt is usually done at 105K, but you can roll the 90K and timing belt together and just do it at 100K. Don't put off a regular oil change though, stay on schedule with those.

The last thing you want to do is neglect maintenance on an awd turbo car.

here is a list form local shop what gets done at 90k service- approx $443

CAM & ACC BELT(S) - INSPECT

ENGINE COOLANT - INSPECT

FUEL SYSTEM/LINES/CONNECTIONS - BASIC SAFETY INSPECT (OPTIONAL)

AIR CLEANER ELEMENT - REPLACE

SUBARU OEM - AIR CLEANER ELEMENT - PART

TRANSMISSION & REAR DIFF GEAR OIL - SERVICE

VALVOLINE - 75W-90 GL5 LSD GEAR OIL CONV - FLUID

BRAKE FLUID & BRAKE LINE - SYSTEM BLEED & INSPECT

TIRE/ROTOR & PAD W/SUSPENSION - ROTATE/INSPECT

FRONT & REAR AXLE BOOTS - INSPECT

SHELL - ROTELLA T6 FULL SYNTH 5W/40 - FLUID

OIL CHANGE - SERVICE

SUBARU OEM FILTER

SUBARU OEM - CRUSH WASHER

OIL DISPOSAL - FEE

Here is my timing belt est - approx 686 (with first time customer credit of 85)

not sure if the gates kit includes the thermostat since i asked for it to be done also

GATES - TIMING BELT KIT W/W PUMP EJ255 WRX/LGT - PART

TIMING BELT KIT W/WATER PUMP - INSTALL

SUBARU OEM - GREEN COOLANT - FLUID

DISTILLED WATER - FLUID

SHOP SUPPLIES - MISC

directly from local subi dealer

SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE - $599.95

30,000 miles / 60,000 miles / 90,000 miles: Oil & Filter Change - Check & Top Off all Fluids - Check Tire Tread Depth Wear - Adjust Tire Pressure - Inspection of Exterior Lights - Inspection of Suspension Components (struts, ball joints, tie rods) - Inspection of Exhaust - Air Filter Change - Automatic Transmission Fluid Flush - Brake Fluid Flush - Change PCV Valve - Check Belts & Hoses - Coolant Flush - Change Spark Plugs - Tire Balance - Tire Rotation - Brake Inspection - Full Safety Inspection

Archived