LegacyGT.com

Spark Plug Install Instructions

What I put in: NGK Iridium IX (LFR7AIX) one step colder plugs. :D

Tools you will need:

10mm socket or ratchet - to remove intake and battery.

12mm socket to remove coil pack bolts.

1/4 drive socket wrench with 12mm socket for the two rear coil packs (It's tight).

5/8" spark plug socket

2", 3" and 12" extension for 3/8 drive wrench - For removing the spark plugs and coil pack bolts.

A knuckle extension.

Anti seize - I use this on the spark plug threads

Dilectric grease - I put a dab on the top of the spark plug where the coil packs wire touches the plug

Do the spark plug change when the motor is cold so you don't risk striping something or burn the living daylights out of yourself.

First start by removing the air box and all of it's plumming up to the inlet hose. First start by undoing the hose clamp that connects the airbox rubber hose to the inlet with a screw driver. The unsnap the air box clamshell clips and pull the back half of the airbox out of the engine bay. Now with a long extension remove the two 10mm bolts that hold the airbox to the fender. Don't forget the 1 10mm bolt inside the airbox as well.

Once the airbox is out go ahead and remove the battery tie down with the 10mm socket. Once that is out of the way remove the batt cables. Remember to undo the negative first and then the positive battery cable so you don't risk gettin a zap. (Installing will be positive and then negative).

Getting the airbox and battery out will make for alot more room as things are tight as is. Doing the WRX/STI some will take out the window washer bottle, but that is not needed for the LGT.

52342568_NoIntake.jpg.1467c25bb5ad334ae88e2dc69d15d735.jpg

242390749_NoBatt.jpg.aa87b02d9b0f3432c73ee0f5ded055b5.jpg

Battery.jpg.2b7f3bf925cb3cb1ea5d73dea2f0e26c.jpg

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Passanger Side (Pic 1)

Getting the coil pack off of the spark plug isn't all that hard for the two on each side in the front of the motor. The gold bolts you see are the only things that hold the coil pack onto the motor. Using a 12mm socket and knuckle along with a 3 inch extention remove the bolts. The fronts are simple and you have plenty of room. The back coil packs it's tight. This is where the 1/4 drive comes into play. The engine bay tapers to the rear so it will take some patience for the rears. I found that if I got the bolt loose enough I could take the ratchet off and keep the 12mm socket on the bolt and loosen it by hand. Don't worry about the bolts coming out of the packs, they don't. The rear passanger side coil pack has a bracket attached to it for the EGT wires that run to the Uppipe (Pic 2). Once the bolt on that pack is loose the bracket will fall to the side. It's ok and is easily put back when the coil pack goes back on. To distinguish the front pack from the rear pack the wire harness that runs to each has a white and black adapter (Pic 3). The pack with the white adapters are the front and the rear is the black.

1988211325_PassangersideCoils.jpg.0a9343d2814170201442dd0046dcf888.jpg

762308026_EGTBraket.jpg.97fd1239427d414c83a54e9ca45d64db.jpg

1312264516_BothCoilPacks(Pass).jpg.2fd88eef84040ea05327f39fd15707bf.jpg

Drivers side:

The front coil is a piece of cake and is just as easy as the passanger side front. However, the driver side rear is a headache. The space is tight and the problem is not getting the 12mm bolts off, which is the same as the passanger side. The rear coil pack does not have alot of slack to it interms of the wires running to it. Ontop of that, it is extremely close to the fender wall and takes some work to get out (Pic 1). The previous three coil packs you are able to take out and draw them up. However, the driverside rear you have to place below the cylinder because it is too tight to pull it up.

1841242865_DriversSide.jpg.27a72a6c0b454b92032c6fa2cd53c2d0.jpg

Once you have the coil packs out of the way you are ready to remove the spark plugs. What I found to be the easiest for all four cylinders is to slide the 5/8 inch spark plug socket onto the spark plug first, and then the knuckle extention, the 12in extension and then the 3/8 ratchet. The spark plugs are deep so your gonna be thinking these things are never gonna get out. Be patient with the rears because you are at a very odd angle. The closer you can get to perpendicular with the cylinder the better you will be. Here is a side by side of the old and the new (Pic 1).

Before you start to install the new plugs when all the old ones are out, check the gaps between the two. I know the spark plugs come pregapped, but you don't wanna find out after you have them in that the gap is too large and your misfiring. Be careful when you check the gap to not damage the electrode (it is very delicate).

837348268_Sparkplugsidebyside.jpg.31370e2781b71629222773f6ea8e1f84.jpg

Before you install the new plugs, go ahead and put some anti-seize on the threads (you'll appreciate it if you ever need to pull them out again). You can use dilectric grease on the top of the plug that connets to the coil pack if you choose. Once the plug is prepared place it in the 5/8 spark plug socket. I have read that some take the cushion out of the socket, I don't find this to be a great idea because for the rears you are working with weird angles and risk cracking the plug should the socket slip off the plug. Connect the socket to a 2" extension as the cylinder is deep (Pic 1). Your going to wanna install the plugs by hand first as to not cross-thread the plug into the head. Again, doing this by hand for the rears takes patience. Once you plug threads into the head attach the knuckle extension and then the 3" extension followed by the 3/8 ratchet. Go ahead and tighten the plugs in.

Once all the plugs are in you can put the coil packs back on. Remember, the coil pack with the white harness is the front and the black the rear (Pic 2)Another thing to keep in mind when you install the packs back onto the plugs; you are not going to get the distinct snap that you would with a set of wires. With each pack you put on go ahead and slide the 12mm socket onto the gold bolt and hand tighten them first and then pop on the knuckle extension and 12in extension with 3/8 ratchet to tighten them down fully. Remember that the passanger side rear pack holds the EGT bracket, so before you tighten it down too far slide the bracket back onto the bolt and then tighten it down.

Once all the packs are on reinstall the air box and your battery. Go ahead and start her up! Don't forget to reset the clock, radio stations, and to shut off the annoying seatbelt chime. :D

Ok I'm done now.... :D

Head.jpg.0db4edb7ea7267d1e5f9920397104549.jpg

525733133_PassangersideCoils.jpg.aa77c16da5ba1cb07867a6546fab2a7f.jpg

The plugs in the LGT are platinum and are only due to be changed every 60,000 miles.

We charge 2.2 hrs labor to change just the plugs, or if you change them along with a 60,000 mile service we charge only .5 hours labor (In addition to the 60,000 mile service charge).

The plugs in the LGT are platinum and are only due to be changed every 60,000 miles.

We charge 2.2 hrs labor to change just the plugs, or if you change them along with a 60,000 mile service we charge only .5 hours labor (In addition to the 60,000 mile service charge).

I changed them for the one step colder. 2.2hrs? I took 1.5 with a few smoke breaks :D and to wash the Perrin air filter?

Ive been told that the stock plugs in our Turbos are Iridium not Platinum. :confused:

• 6 months later...

Ahhh,..

whatever happened to my DSM where the plugs sat inside the head and were easily changed from above and took like 10 minutes to do?,..

Sheesh,..sounds just as frustrating as changing the plugs on my 2.5l 4cylinder Ford Ranger,...bad angles, scraped knuckles, some swearing, blood, sweat, tears,..;0

Nobody ever said everything was easy. My 1992 Civic is a breeze to change the plugs on. But the oil filter is a bite of a pain.

If they made everything easy to get to, the car would be huge.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I got rough idle and a misfire CEL @ ~ 29K miles.

Turns out the spark plugs' electrodes were worn down. Talk about "spirited" driving.

I keed I keeed

You can use dilectric grease on the top of the plug that connets to the coil pack if you choose.
Just FYI - dielectric grease is NOT electrically conductive. You don't want to put this between your electrical contacts, as it will reduce conductivity to the plug.

Dielectric grease is intended to keep the wire-boot from melting/sticking to the spark plug ceramic. In addition, it's high electrical resistance is intended to keep the plug from tracking along the outside of the plug, and to help provide a "weather seal" for the conductor inside, to help keep it from corroding or getting wet/moist (a good boot will do this anyway, but in that case, you use the grease to help slide the boot on more easily.)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Two questions?

1 - why one step colder plugs

2. what does subscribe mean?

Kelly

1. 1 step colder plugs help prevent detonation when running mods. (ie more boost/fuel/air/bigger turbo etc.)

2. means that you get emails on if the thread gets new posts, but dont have to post in the thread. (ie if someone posts a thread of interest to you, but dont have anything to post in the thread (eg. a thread from a vendor about an upcoming product))

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage