LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our odyssey trans flush was around $250 for labor and fluid. So really not that much difference considering awd and all. And the Odyssey as great as it is on flat land (well MPGs anyway) sucks really bad on hills, the lack of shift control besides a 4th gear lock button and "low" is really annoying. The Ascent can't get to a close dealer soon enough!

If someone gets a chance to test drive, can you check to see if accelerator gets overridden when brakes are pressed? My 2012 Outback is still good, but noticed my parent's same year accord had gas cut feature on braking.

I would be really sad if Subaru finally caved in to that, being able to press the gas and brake at the same time is vital to getting out of low traction situations like snow or offroading.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

VW had that on their cars already many years ago. And it caused a test driver to end up in a snow wall on a test track - and he was furious.

It was pissing me off driving the Accord on the street, I just replaced the pads/rotors and was trying to bed them in :lol:.

In a racing scenario I can definitely see it being very dangerous, the weight shift forward from stopping throttle can really loosen up the rear wheels. I blame runaway toyota's for why we see throttle cut on brake on most cars now days.

22 Ascent STOCK

Got the call today to come t-drive the GM's ordered Ascent. Came off the truck 5 mins after they called me. It was clear that it had been sitting arse-end toward the front of the truck; the entire back of it was plastered with bugs.

Ascent Premium with 8-seats, cloth interior and the 8" media system. 18" wheels

Overall very impressed, with everything except the color - it's some version of Subaru's "red pearl" Crimson RP I think, and it just didn't do the lines justice. Something in white or a light blue would be awesome.

Don't think I'd like it in black for the same reason, besides the fact that I'd bake everything inside and within a foot of the outside in the SC sun/heat.

Mrs. SBT seems to like the Tungsten Metallic. They're supposed to be getting a Crystal WP Touring in in a few days. They said they'd call me when it's prepped.

Driving dynamics.

This thing has a ton of torque off the line and pulls hard, shifts like it means it and flat out accelerates. Cruises at 75 and hardly even breathes.

Reminded me of the FXT I drove when they first came out, felt like it wanted to spin all four wheels any time I tapped the go pedal.

Downshifts and throttle blip are crisp and up/down shifting with the steering wheel paddles is equally good. Everything is composed, but just waiting for your input commands.

Acceleration - superb. Jumped on the freeway and there was a lifted Chevy 4x4 bearing-down hard in the number 1 lane. Bumped the throttle slightly and it was in boost and accelerating immediately - had to back off, with a downshift throttle blip on the wheel paddles. No hesitation, downshifted immediately and slowed like you'd dropped it down a gear.

Took a hard downhill to uphill left hand 90* turn with my foot in the juice all the way through and accelerating, and it tracked with nary a list and no understeer, felt almost tail happy but definitely composed.

Braking and handling - equally good. This was equipped with the lane keeping feature which is a lot less intrusive then other systems I've driven. If you really get out of line, it will steer you back with alacrity if needed, but mostly it waits for you to manage your line and only overrides when you're clearly heading off the beaten path. All this can be turned-off.

When we finished the T-drive, the sales guy had me swing around back and accelerate toward an air-filled vehicle "block" with a picture of the back of an Outback on it. I didn't let up on the gas, and when the Ascent got to within 2' of the picture, it stopped right now. No muss, no fuss, no shaking, just stopped, from about 25mph.

Really quiet, but you do hear the engine, when you bring it to bear, and it sounds good. Could imagine this with a nice resonated catback setup. Windows had an almost Lexus-like up/down quality to them - 2 fronts are auto U/D.

As I mentioned after the Atlanta car show, everything is where you'd expect it to be. Steering wheel feels small-ish, but I'm big handed, so that's part of the "ish". Electric steering is crisp, it has good road feel and just feels composed no matter what you're doing with it. And the wind was pushing about 40knots cross-wind and it didn't seem to affect handling at all.

I asked the salesperson to figure out how to get the back facia off before I come in for the next drive with Mrs. SBT, so they'll know, and I can learn, how to uncover the hitch.

Post up your questions and I'll try to answer.

Oh, and the rear AC works really well. It was 95*F and 2000% humidity here, and you could tell they engineered the delivery system to handle 8 hot bodies jammed inside a dark car sitting in traffic on a hot SC day.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Man. no negative points at all (except I guess your comment about the paint) ?? :)

You really like this car huh. If the acceleration really feels like you described it, imagine this engine with a stage 1 tune in a 3500 lbs car. Bye bye RS :spin:

BTW - did you mention the Brake Override System (BOS)? I think it can be turned off, but it will not allow you to press the brake and the accelerator simultaneously. If you do, the system reduces the accelerator pedal output (reduces power).

The acceleration really did impress me. Frankly, I was surprised by it in a 4,450 lb midsized SUV with a CVT.

Did you see a boost gauge? If yes, what was the peak boost on this thing?

Did not see a boost gauge.

BTW - did you mention the Brake Override System (BOS)? I think it can be turned off, but it will not allow you to press the brake and the accelerator simultaneously. If you do, the system reduces the accelerator pedal output (reduces power).

I asked about it, that's a real shame! At least with VDC and it's independent 4 wheel braking, using the brakes to slow down the loose wheel is not necessary.

22 Ascent STOCK

I think with it "off" you can accelerate and brake together.

I'll check the next time I drive it again.

See if you can get any info on the maintenance schedule? Everything so far has been hypothesized from the Outback schedules. I hate how they bury them inside the warranty booklets.

Curious if they’re calling for a CVTF drain interval now.

I test drove a Limited 7p a few weeks ago and it was glorious. I really like the captain chairs. Didn’t think I would. I could see myself in an Ascent, it’s pretty close to the Outback 3.6 I was looking at.

I especially liked the OEM 2” receiver compared to the 1.25 on the Outback.

Edited by Pilot1226

• 3 weeks later...

We test drove a limited in cinnamon yesterday, I must say this is a clear evolution for Subaru. It was the quietest Subaru I have been in, and you can definitely forget just how fast you are going. The torque was pretty good, definitely puts our Odyssey to shame. The CVT was smooth and well behaved as expected from my previous Outback and Wrx test drives. The interior has a lot of high points and some Meh points but overall I like it very much, as did the wife. She did her own test drive and came away ready to put the car seats in and see how everything fit.

My only unanswered question is the fuel economy in mixed driving. But that will come with time. If its in the 20s I would be happy especially if the highway mileage in cruise at 70 is 28ish then we just need to deal with a bit less space.

That test drive pointed out a lot of flaws in the Odyssey, it is really noisy...

Oh don’t tell me that, our ‘07 Odyessy w/ 160k is getting old. Trying to wait a couple years before we pull the trigger on a replacement.

Our 14 odyssey with 71k is quite noisy compared to the Ascent. I would hold out for the 2nd or third model year if you can the option packages might get better, I wish the 18s were a no cost option on the Limited and Touring. And the front 180 camera and rear cross traffic detection was part of a tech package available on the premium... and the ventilated seats!

Edited by FLlegacy

Our 14 odyssey with 71k is quite noisy compared to the Ascent. I would hold out for the 2nd or third model year if you can the option packages might get better, I wish the 18s were a no cost option on the Limited and Touring. And the front 180 camera and rear cross traffic detection was part of a tech package available on the premium... and the ventilated seats!

I’m sure there will be an evolution over time. But for me I know my know my Outback is eligible for the GTP only for another 8 months or so. And there are a few expensive maintenance things on the horizon.

My OB has been much better since the torque converter replacement. But I like everything about the Ascent, except the forced Java Brown Touring interior and the no 3.6 option. But it was wonderful, and I think I’m going to go for it. I’ve done two test drives - one Limited 8p and one Touring 7p.

Finally saw an Ascent on the road yesterday. I think the most remarkable thing about the Ascent, is how unremarkable the styling is. Meaning, for a company that has made some ... interesting ... styling choices in the past, this vehicle is boringly not fugly.