LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

Pulled the front diffusers/skirts to get them painted. Lots and lots of stone chips, couldnt take it anymore!

N9gcwDZ.jpg

That's how I feel with my front bumper. Just detailed my car recently and the amount of chips...I think I'm just gonna get a new painted bumper tbh. She's still looking good though.

hfMbV0w.jpg

Rebuilt my ISC coilovers. AND! Got to have ebony and ivory together to get wrenched on at the same time (Zee)! Spent a good time talking shop and cars over Mexican food and a couple of Dos Equis while we waited.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZtiJN6yiik]Ebony and Ivory - Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder - YouTube[/ame] Edited by Zee199969

Perrin 25mm spacers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

When you first put the 25mm spacers on, did you have an issue with fender rubbing? I had 25mm adaptors on mine and the rears rubbed. I don’t have stock wheels on my 2.5i but they are only 7.5 inches wide.

Either way I changed over to some 15mm always hub-centric adaptors so that it looks flush with the fender.

I also have spungy stock suspension too so if I have anything substantial or somebody in the back seat it will sink a good amount.

Anyway I’m rambling. It’s looks great with the stock wheels when they flush up to the fender. Certainly makes the stance look much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you first put the 25mm spacers on, did you have an issue with fender rubbing? I had 25mm adaptors on mine and the rears rubbed. I don’t have stock wheels on my 2.5i but they are only 7.5 inches wide.

Either way I changed over to some 15mm always hub-centric adaptors so that it looks flush with the fender.

I also have spungy stock suspension too so if I have anything substantial or somebody in the back seat it will sink a good amount.

Anyway I’m rambling. It’s looks great with the stock wheels when they flush up to the fender. Certainly makes the stance look much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No rubbing that i have seen, the progressive eibach springs really work well with the konis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

That's how I feel with my front bumper. Just detailed my car recently and the amount of chips...I think I'm just gonna get a new painted bumper tbh. She's still looking good though.

hfMbV0w.jpg

She's still looking good!

Why not just get it re-sprayed?

I am leery of paintwork as I've had my share of bad experiences but I'm happy with the way mine turned out! Color match is good, everything was stripped and put back together cleanly with all clips, and paint was applied to the plastic panels with all the right prep and sticking well as evidenced by no chipping when a passenger scratched up the side skirt with their shoe one day after I got the car back. :icon_sad:

Right one on, now for the left.

eVzRAI7.jpg

Edited by Scubaboo

She's still looking good!

Why not just get it re-sprayed?

I am leery of paintwork as I've had my share of bad experiences but I'm happy with the way mine turned out! Color match is good, everything was stripped and put back together cleanly with all clips, and paint was applied to the plastic panels with all the right prep and sticking well as evidenced by no chipping when a passenger scratched up the side skirt with their shoe one day after I got the car back. :icon_sad:

Right one on, now for the left.

There's a place not far away that sells painted bumpers and ships them. I know of someone who had good luck with the color matching up. I'd be worried with other colors but I wouldn't think it'd be too hard to get the black to match up. Heck the wrap on the grill, other than on a super sunny day looks almost the same as the car paint. I really dig the Europe and Asian front ends of the Legacy. Especially the design of the lip portion.

There's a place not far away that sells painted bumpers and ships them. I know of someone who had good luck with the color matching up. I'd be worried with other colors but I wouldn't think it'd be too hard to get the black to match up. Heck the wrap on the grill, other than on a super sunny day looks almost the same as the car paint. I really dig the Europe and Asian front ends of the Legacy. Especially the design of the lip portion.

Ah thats cool! It might end up cheaper for you with painting being so expensive there.

The black (D4S Crystal Black Silica) I thought was simple too, but in the light you can see the metalic with green speckles. I was afraid they wouldnt get it, but they did a good job thankfully!

Yeah I prefer the Euro/Asia front ends too, I wonder why Subaru changed them for the US market?

I recently picked up an unpainted bumper from the dealer and had it painted (black) too. The black itself matches perfectly, but they added more metallic than the rest of the car has. Not a problem unless you're planning on doing some bright-sunlight car shows. Not sure how they'd ever match the metallic perfectly without doing several test panels

Thanks, I don't know how none and some rear toe changes things, will have read up and ask them to zero it out next time. Also I got an alignment at a different shop between these 2 that mainly focuses on subarus that had set no rear toe.

None all-around will feel a little darty at speed (ask me how I know), but zero in the back and just the least little bit of phthalo blue toe-in in the front will feel a lot better.

One of these days, I'll get around to dialing in a little bit of front toe...

After installing the Kartboy short shift adapter and Perrin bushing this weekend, I took a couple minutes tonight to install the shift stop that came with the Kartboy kit. I dropped one of the allen screws from the kit and lost it between the carpet and the floor somewhere... a gift to the car gods, I guess. I picked up another from a local hardware shop and it was all good.

I then took a couple drives to adjust the stop just right. It really does make things nice and snug all around.

I'm getting less vibration in the shifter now too. I used to have a little vibration in the shifter when cruising down the road. I'm not sure if it was the new center diff I put in or the changes in the shifter that did it? I would lean towards the center diff, but I'm not sure.

This is getting fun! Now, I'm thinking some Koni's and then on to a couple small upgrades with a pro tune.

Had a local Subaru friend sit down and properly show me how to inspect/remove/install brake pads, so I'm happy I finally know how to do that and feel fully confident I could swap pads for a track day no problem.

Thing is though, we did this to go chasing an obnoxious brake squeal I've been having. I have KNS 4k rotors and Hawk HPS 5.0 pads that have been on since April 2017. They've never been the quietest, but lately the squeal has just been unbearable and embarassing. So we went around and inspected the pads and rotors: pads all around had tons of meat left, still had shims, and seemed to be wearing evenly. The front rotors were glassy smooth, almost brand new feeling, and front pads had a normal amount of dust build up from a year of operation. The rear pads had quite a bit more dust than the fronts, and the rotors were not quite as smooth, but the pads still have a ton of material left and are wearing evenly, though the driver's side inner pad had dust build up in the channel that had metallisized a little hill inside the channel, but did not protrude higher than the pad material. We brake-kleened the pads, rotors, pad channels, and slide channels, re-assembled everything, and unfortunately, no real change in the squeal.

The only thing I've noticed is that the squeal actually seems WORSE once the brakes are heated up, the first few times braking after cold-starting are quiet. And the squeal is most predominant around maybe 25%-30% brake pressure, which is unfortunately right around the comfortable braking pressure for coming up to a stop, but goes away under heavier braking. The squeal also tends to have a pulsing sound to it. Any ideas what I could check next to address this? Was considering trying changing out the rear pads to a different brand to see if that made a difference. The brakes currently still perform fantastically and bite just as hard as they should, I just cannot live with the squeal anymore.

Did you lube everything up on reassembly? I always make sure to hit the back of the pads with lube too, mainly where the pads contact the piston and caliper end.

I have had bad luck with ceramic pads being more noisy than the metallic pads. In my truck fleet and personal vehicles. What material are the HPS pads?

Sometimes the brake rotors can become glazed and make noise. It's usually due to heat. You can have the rotors turned or some people scuff the rotors. Usually done with new pads.

Does the noise go away if yo make a couple of high speed stops... around 45mph to almost zero a couple times?

I have been living with a very slow leak in my L/F tire for about the last 4 months....finally got off my ass today and took the rim and tire to Costco where I bought the tires a few years ago. These are the OZ Racing with Michelins....as I suspected it was a tiny bead leak...the guys in the tire shop broke down the tire/rim and cleaned the rim and tire beads and then re-assembled it with bead seal....fingers crossed that it is the end of that problem. It was only about a pound or so after a week, but bloody annoying to have to be topping it up every few weeks. :spin:

The rims are a little over 10 years old so I should look at having them properly re-finished next winter when I have them off the car :rolleyes:

Had a local Subaru friend sit down and properly show me how to inspect/remove/install brake pads, so I'm happy I finally know how to do that and feel fully confident I could swap pads for a track day no problem.

Thing is though, we did this to go chasing an obnoxious brake squeal I've been having. I have KNS 4k rotors and Hawk HPS 5.0 pads that have been on since April 2017. They've never been the quietest, but lately the squeal has just been unbearable and embarassing. So we went around and inspected the pads and rotors: pads all around had tons of meat left, still had shims, and seemed to be wearing evenly. The front rotors were glassy smooth, almost brand new feeling, and front pads had a normal amount of dust build up from a year of operation. The rear pads had quite a bit more dust than the fronts, and the rotors were not quite as smooth, but the pads still have a ton of material left and are wearing evenly, though the driver's side inner pad had dust build up in the channel that had metallisized a little hill inside the channel, but did not protrude higher than the pad material. We brake-kleened the pads, rotors, pad channels, and slide channels, re-assembled everything, and unfortunately, no real change in the squeal.

The only thing I've noticed is that the squeal actually seems WORSE once the brakes are heated up, the first few times braking after cold-starting are quiet. And the squeal is most predominant around maybe 25%-30% brake pressure, which is unfortunately right around the comfortable braking pressure for coming up to a stop, but goes away under heavier braking. The squeal also tends to have a pulsing sound to it. Any ideas what I could check next to address this? Was considering trying changing out the rear pads to a different brand to see if that made a difference. The brakes currently still perform fantastically and bite just as hard as they should, I just cannot live with the squeal anymore.

It's weird how we have the same setup and I have zero issues. I had a small bit of squeaks at first when coming almost to a stop. The only time I get any now if it's sat all night and it rains or something. After a few brakes its fine.

Checked torque on suspension bolts, installed primitive trans armor plate, washed wheels and car.

@humble rumble I'm running hawk 5.0's as well and have the same as Timothy.B. Check the dust shield for clearance. You may just need to bend it back a little bit.