LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested to see how the plugin XV works. They said they are using Prius Prime tech, which is a step up from the previous way they did it. It'll probably be more robust then there current CVT's as well.

From the rumors I've heard they are going volvoish on the next major platform refresh at least for bigger/performance platforms. Rear electric axle with ether dual motors or electronic LSD. Then a single motor/generator on the front drive train set up FWD. Possibly the 2.0L or 1.6L turbo motors up front. Prius derived front drive train modified to be longitutal, then Highlander derived rear. They could use the driveshaft tunnel for more batteries.

Though maybe they are actually doing that on the XV, the Toyota Highlander did the electric AWD thing for a LONG time so there is plenty of stuff for them to borrow from the mothership.

The new "Intelligent Boxer" used in the new hybrid Forester and XV hybrid models shown at the Beijing auto show looks like they have a single electric motor behind the transmission. In the video, it looks like the electric motor can drive all 4 wheels, essentially the old Crosstrek Hybrid setup.

So now my question is, is this the basis for the upcoming Crostrek plug-in or is this just a hybrid option for other markets.

https://www.subaru-global.com/ms2018/beijing/

Nice image of the motor at the 0:21 mark.

Edited by laufu
spelling...

The new "Intelligent Boxer" used in the new hybrid Forester and XV hybrid models shown at the Beijing auto show looks like they have a single electric motor behind the transmission. In the video, it looks like the electric motor can drive all 4 wheels, essentially the old Crosstrek Hybrid setup.

So now my question is, is this the basis for the upcoming Crostrek plug-in or is this just a hybrid option for other markets.

https://www.subaru-global.com/ms2018/beijing/

Nice image of the motor at the 0:21 mark.

That looks a little bigger than the old electric motor, but nothing like the Prius Prime which has two motors that also run the transmission. It could just be an artistic interpretation, leaving out the front motor/generator, but it looks a whole lot like the old system.

Edited by utc_pyro

Read some interesting docs on the Ascent Forum about the CVT being unique for the Ascent and unique Fluid too. Going to be reading over those forums. Really seems interesting.

Also seems like they figured out the DI thing too.

I was thinking.... Once Subaru goes all electric, the legendary boxer engine will be gone. :(

Nah, I am not worried much about g'old IC opposite engine... Quoting Mark Twain, "The report of my death was an exaggeration".

:)

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Read some interesting docs on the Ascent Forum about the CVT being unique for the Ascent and unique Fluid too. Going to be reading over those forums. Really seems interesting. Also seems like they figured out the DI thing too.
Link/s please?

As far as we can tell based on chassis badges/stickers and visual inspection under the production Limited trim Ascent manufactured in April... its the good ol'TR690 and amber HT-CVTF.

Okay, here's a few things I've found so far:

First, the CVTF Maintenance - http://www.cars101.com/subaru/ascent/ascent2019.html

This shows that the CVTF is lifetime fluid in the 2018 models - but here it's mysteriously absent. There's also a notation for a "complete" fluid change at 90k, which is not typical maintenance schedule.

Second - CVTF itself is a different part number. SOA748V0300 is the HT-LV (whatever that means), whereas 0200 is the traditionally HTCVTF part number. Maybe they reformulated it for the FA20DIT and the EZ36 paired with the HTCVT, but this is concurrent with the tech article.

Also, a few sales reps have confirmed that the "Ascent CVT is going to be different from anything else we have now... unique CVT Fluid and no other CVT or CVTF can be used in them..."

Third - Direct Injection concerns:

http://www.ascentforums.com/forum/10-engine-technical-discussion/803-all-new-2-4l-turbo-subaru-engine-ascent-10.html#post9927

Fourth - HT-CVT:

http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease/1250/1/subaru-america-announces-pricing-all-new-2019-ascent

From the press release: "...the Ascent comes with a new version of Subaru's high-torque Lineartronic CVT..."

Yup, all known, I was hoping for something new.

You can ignore the sales reps and technicians - they are clueless and resort to regurgitating marketing bs.

Only techs that know what they're talking about are locked away in honten R&D labs and Nihon-jin sub-contracting vendor sites.

Service interval has more to do with Subaru finally waking up and coming to their senses with the maintenance free lifetime fluid bs on earlier MY cars.

That plus the gross weight and towing capacity of the Ascent. WRX/Levorg GTS should list 60K but of course dont.

Part number myth has been debunked years ago. Same old TR690, minor or no revisions. Subaru changes the last few digits of the transmission assembly model to model and per region on same MY cars. We saw this with old Legacy DIT vs first current-gen FXTs vs then current-gen WRX, Levorg.

Granted here they did possibly change a few things, however not enough to warrant a Gen3 HT-CVT, still a TR690.

Edited by Perscitus

Bucking that ridgeline on two opposite end/side wheels really demonstrated how torsionally rigid the new GSP is in this type of activity.

Also appreciated Ryan's comment on just how easily the vehicle accelerated with the 4300 lb Airstream on behind. Great low-end torque, and Subaru's S-AWD definite pluses in this segment.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yep. I'd say it's a winner versus a Highlander if off-road and towing was a big factor. Also I think the interior is better equipped than just about every other vehicle in its class.

... but for the same money, you could get a 4Runner and destroy the trails! :D

Truck life vs mainstream mid-size SUV... How much does the 4R tow?

Clearly room for both in a suburban garage, but prefer the latter's comfort and utility. :)

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Truck life vs mainstream mid-size SUV... How much does the 4R tow?

Clearly room for both in a suburban garage, but prefer the latter's comfort and utility. :)

5k. Just a completely different vehicle. The ascent is way more refined and more comfy as a daily driver, I'm sure. Except maybe the third row seating (for adults). Had my parents in the third row this weekend and no issues whatsoever (but they're 5'8" tall, so not exactly big people).

Wait, you have an Ascent??

No, a 2017 4Runner limited... :)

The 4Runner lacks big time interior features, the infotainment system is downright shameful.

I wouldn't call it shameful, but it's definitely not as nice as the Ascent. No CarPlay (my biggest gripe), but the Entune system is miles better than the infotainment system in my wife's '16 TLX (despite the small screen). Calls, voice commands, Pandora, OpenTable, etc is all easy as pie. I'm actually quite pleased with it.

Heated/cooled seats, leather, dual zone climate control, automatic headlights, etc etc etc... It's all pretty similar. No lane-change warning though or lane-keep assist. So yeah, some drawbacks. But almost 10" of clearance, amazing approach/departure angles, and very roomy interior. I'd still rather have the 4Runner...

No, a 2017 4Runner limited... :)

I wouldn't call it shameful, but it's definitely not as nice as the Ascent. No CarPlay (my biggest gripe), but the Entune system is miles better than the infotainment system in my wife's '16 TLX (despite the small screen). Calls, voice commands, Pandora, OpenTable, etc is all easy as pie. I'm actually quite pleased with it.

Heated/cooled seats, leather, dual zone climate control, automatic headlights, etc etc etc... It's all pretty similar. No lane-change warning though or lane-keep assist. So yeah, some drawbacks. But almost 10" of clearance, amazing approach/departure angles, and very roomy interior. I'd still rather have the 4Runner...

When they are asking 50gs on a 4Runner and no blind spot monitoring? Or automatic rear breaking? Also the 90s dash icons is downright awful.

For that much I’d look elsewhere.

That nav screen is smaller than an iPhone 10 screen. They hella cheaped out.

The feature on this car are back in the Stone Age, lastly no led or hid standard? Then the brakes on this car are meh.

Edited by IcEWoLF

When they are asking 50gs on a 4Runner and no blind spot monitoring? Or automatic rear breaking? Also the 90s dash icons is downright awful.

For that much I’d like elsewhere.

That nav screen is smaller than an iPhone 10 screen. They hella cheaped out.

50 G's?? I got mine at a significant discount due to it being a demo unit with 6000 miles on the clock. Technically "new" with full warranty, but $11k off... so it was a decent deal.

We aren’t talking used, we are talking about sticker price.

For an extra 10k I rather get a discovery Land Rover sport for $60k with much better tech and about 11” ground clearance. At that price range I’d like to have better technology because the Toyota tech is already outdated out of the lot big time.