LegacyGT.com

3.6 Highway RPM's

I have a 2013 Legacy 3.6. I was noticing on the highway at 70 mph my rpm's are at 2400. I have the stock rims and stock size tires. My other cars all run around 1700 to 1800 rpm on the highway at 70 mph.

Is this high rpm normal for the 3.6 or is my overdrive not working?

I'll check my 2011 3.6 5sp auto tonight if Interstate traffic allows but I would bet on the 1800 number.

My 2018 Outback 3.6 HCVT is at the 1800ish rpm but we rarely go that slow on I-95 :)

Update ---- Well I was wrong the 2011 is running close to 2400

My wife has the 2017 Outback with the 2.5. Her car is at 1800 at 70 mph.

You would think the 2.5 would need the higher rpm to keep the car moving and the 3.6 with all of its torque would not need the high rpm's to keep moving.

Mine pulls 2500 rpms going 75 mph with 235/45/18's.

Our trans does have 6 speeds. The 6th RPM reduction is the converter unlocking, but you have no control over that and it's only a few hundred RPMS. I could see it happen on the Tach of my 4eat WRX. I don't notice it as much on the 5eat.

Thanks everyone. I have 5 months left on the warranty and just wanted to make sure the transmission wasn't broken.

Even with the higher rpm's, my car still gets way above the advertised mileage on the highway. Although I never buy a car for its fuel economy.

Mine pulls 2500 rpms going 75 mph with 235/45/18's.

Our trans does have 6 speeds. The 6th RPM reduction is the converter unlocking, but you have no control over that and it's only a few hundred RPMS. I could see it happen on the Tach of my 4eat WRX. I don't notice it as much on the 5eat.

I have to pay attention to the shifts on the tach the next time I go on the highway to make sure its going into the 6th gear, or the converter unlocking.

I have to pay attention to the shifts on the tach the next time I go on the highway to make sure its going into the 6th gear, or the converter unlocking.

I've never watched it on this car but I recall with my WRX I had to slowly accelerate on the freeway to a cruse to watch it happen on the Tach. On the final shift you'll see the rpms drop a final few just after. I think you'll see it best in a low load situation like on a flat.

My ol'girl is right around there as well, maybe a tad lower

(but then again shes not the best benchmark for stock so ymmv):

Manual Mode 5th ~2.2K RPM @ 70mph feathering the throttle.

Manual Mode 5th ~1.5K RPM @ 60mph with oomph from say 1.2K RPM+,

in that gear and velocity range.

I rarely ever use Full Auto D, but I'll check how she does in D as well.

UPDATE: Same difference in Full Auto D. Straight sea-level road, slight uphill/downhill grades, feathered throttle or coast.

BAU she cruises along at 55-65mph in Manual mode 4th or 5th, below 2K RPM.

Archived