LegacyGT.com

All new engine

Opie

All new FA24DIT to power the new 7-passenger ASCENT...bet that same engine powers the 2019 STI and I'd bet the 3.6H6 gets discontinued and the 2019/2020 Legacy gets the FA24DIT as it's "top" engine.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
we'll see what kind of power output it makes. anything less than 350, and its a failure. the STI now needs 350hp/tq to compete against the focus RS, and this big Ascent SUV will need that to be reasonably quick at anything.

Can't wait for the trade-in/up and engine swap threads over on NASIOC... oh and the transmission and other parts of the drivetrain bashing threads too. Sad.

Aside from an FA24DIT, Subaru needs a F*30DIT and yes, 350-400 hp/tq flavors (with port and direct injection like the BRZ, RPM and Engine Oil temp driven boost control, post intercooler charge temp sensors, and per cylinder AFR control).

I hear electric superchargers and 9-speed CVTs as well as (gasp!) FWD cars are in the works for the next decade.

You don't say mate. Simulated fake shift points like on the current Lineatronics

(6 faux shift points on the FXT and Legacy/Liberty 3.6Rs and FA20DITs in S/S# where available...

same as on the old Liberty DIT, and 8 faux shift points on the WRX/S4/Levorg GTS in S# mode).

Slides 6-8 might be of interest:

http://www.atra.com/Webinars/Import/Subaru_Lineartronic_CVT_Introduction.pdf

All new FA24DIT to power the new 7-passenger ASCENT...bet that same engine powers the 2019 STI and I'd bet the 3.6H6 gets discontinued and the 2019/2020 Legacy gets the FA24DIT as it's "top" engine.

I sure hope they revamp the oil supply system since the current FA20 setup is an unmitigated disaster.

BTW, you guys know an FB25 crank can be fitted in the FA20, right? It's been possible to build your own stroker motor for a while now.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

BTW, you guys know an FB25 crank can be fitted in the FA20, right? It's been possible to build your own stroker motor for a while now.

Next question is then if you can use stuff from the EE20 on a FB25 or FA20.

Why? - Because you can! :p

453747.png

I don't understand why people assume this will be a performance oriented engine. Its going in a grocery hauler. It'll have to run on regular fuel. No way is this thing making more than 260 HP.

My bet is that this is the base engine and a 6 cylinder is in the works since they reported cylinder deactivation is in the works and that only makes sense on a 6. Guessing a small displacement 6 with cylinder deactivation and mild hybrid electric assist.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

I don't understand why people assume this will be a performance oriented engine. Its going in a grocery hauler. It'll have to run on regular fuel. No way is this thing making more than 260 HP.

My bet is that this is the base engine and a 6 cylinder is in the works since they reported cylinder deactivation is in the works and that only makes sense on a 6. Guessing a small displacement 6 with cylinder deactivation and mild hybrid electric assist.

There are 4 cylinder engines with cylinder deactivation.

Subaru already have a 2.0-litre turbo four; they would only develop another turbo four with more displacement if it will produce more power and/or torque than their existing 2.0-litre. My best guess is this new engine will focus on torque, much like Mazda's 2.5-litre turbo in the CX-9. Something as big as the Ascent will need a *lot* of torque.

I'm guessing 240hp and 300lb-ft of torque. I'm interested to see how good I am at guessing!

I hope a turbo 6 cylinder engine is in the works but I'm not holding my breath. Subaru have limited engineering resources and I'm guessing that the 2.5-litre turbo four will be Subaru's sole performance engine for the new global platform, albeit in different states of tune.

Subaru have limited engineering resources and I'm guessing that the 2.5-litre turbo four will be Subaru's sole performance engine for the new global platform, albeit in different states of tune.

I'm guessing the STi. There are some clear signs a DIT unit was supposed to be in the VAF a few years already. The reasons for that not happening are either that they couldn't pull 305bhp out of that reliably, or do it within emission specs. Either that or they've already realized the market has moved on and the car needs a sticker saying 350hp to compete with things like the Focus RS, and they again couldn't reach that with the FA20DIT with reliability and hit emission specs. Probably no point in building a stop-gap model with a maxed-out FA20DIT for one year, just to piss off the early-adopters.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

You think the EJ was first and foremost a performance-oriented engine?

An engine can be modified. A 2.4DIT has some potential, even if the turbo is small and the heads aren't up for big RPM. Free things up, add octane, etc, and it'll be strong, either way. And chances are, some spicier variations for this 2.4 are down the road.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

You think the EJ was first and foremost a performance-oriented engine?

I don't, but I do recall that there were (for the time) high-end versions right in the first year, like those Legacy RA versions with magnesium valve covers etc. They didn't design a tractor engine and then slap a turbo on it as an afterthought.

An engine can be modified. A 2.4DIT has some potential, even if the turbo is small and the heads aren't up for big RPM. Free things up, add octane, etc, and it'll be strong, either way. And chances are, some spicier variations for this 2.4 are down the road.

Put it this way, they've had four years now to knock the ball out the park with the FA20 and it ain't happening. I don't see anything else on the horizon except this new FA24. I'll be really surprised if the next STi doesn't use some version of that.

The EJ was a great step up in reliability from the EA82 engine, at least when it comes to the NA versions. The EA81 engine was however a very reliable engine (gear driven center camshaft) with only a few quirks that you could live with - but with only about 80 hp it's not surprising.

So someone must have done something right with the EJ to make it last as long as it did.

The FA/FB and EE engines all have moved over to chain driven cams and I hope that it has increased the reliability over the EJ. Unreliable cam transmission is acceptable if you only have non-interference engines but as soon as there's interference it's a bomb waiting to go off.

453747.png

The EJ was a great step up in reliability from the EA82 engine...

So someone must have done something right with the EJ to make it last as long as it did.

I think a lot of people hear 'EJ' and all they can think of is cracked hypereutectic pistons and blown EJ25D head gaskets. The bump from 2.0 to 2.5 displacement came with a whole raft of unpleasant side-effects. People forget the days where you literally could slap a bigger turbo and manual boost controller on and put down a reliable 400hp. Since the ECUs were so primitive then the only solution was to overbuild the motors.

OTOH, FA20DIT is nothing to be proud of in terms of either output nor reliability, so I sure hope they've learned lessons there they can apply to the new FA24!

Put it this way, they've had four years now to knock the ball out the park with the FA20 and it ain't happening. I don't see anything else on the horizon except this new FA24. I'll be really surprised if the next STi doesn't use some version of that.

Word.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

• 4 weeks later...
I want a new Legacy, but the borderline antique H6 engine makes me cringe.

I'm sure if it stays in the line-up it will get DIT sooner rather than later.

I want a new Legacy, but the borderline antique H6 engine makes me cringe.

The rumors from Subaru employees are the Ascent will have 2.4DIT boxer 4. I would assume if the Ascent does not get a DI H6 that the Legacy/Outback will drop the 3.6R on the next gen and get a similar motor. It is pretty likely if the Legacy/Outback do get the 2.4DIT that it will be mated to HTCVT like the 3.6R is.

I would assume if the Ascent does not get a DI H6 that the Legacy/Outback will drop the 3.6R on the next gen and get a similar motor.

Yeah, you're right. They're not going to put an n/a six in the smaller vehicle and a turbo four in the bigger, heavier one. Sounds to me like the H6 will go away.

Check out the Focus RS forum, some good and bad like any car. I would not be digging the part time awd that stops working when it gets hot...

VW I would buy the extended bumper to bumper warranty, actually I would do that for either and never mod them.

Archived