LegacyGT.com

Koni housings - what's good?

I am looking into installing Konis on my wagon (2009 OB lowered w/Legacy parts). It's currently running Bilsteins so I need a pair of front struts to use for the Koni inserts, since it's my understanding the Bilsteins won't work for that.

I have not found anyone parting a car near me and I'm not really willing to pay what it'd cost to ship struts or assemblies to wind up with surface-rusty old parts, although if it was cheap enough it's an option; I've got a wire wheel and rattle cans lol.

I've used KYB in the past on other cars, but I kinda hate to buy brand-new perfectly good struts just to gut them and I'm trying to keep costs down this time around.

SO - has anyone used any of the lower-cost options, particularly from RockAuto? Gabriel and FCS are each about $70 for both fronts before shipping, which seems a decent deal for nice new housings - but I'm not totally sure they'll fit and I obviously can't cut them up and then return them if they don't work.

Just curious what folks have done recently, with emphasis on budget. Any input appreciated.

I used a junkyard strut a few years back when I needed to replace the right front strut. And install the koni yellow into it.

Don't be so picky, no one can se the strut once its on the car.

I hit a rock which pushed the knoi into the bottom of the strut. The junkyard strut is the black one.

DSCN7906.thumb.JPG.7f19807dde1eca75516c6247c5f80c56.JPG

DSCN7902.thumb.JPG.59f2a59b3b5beff8c7dd1460e1e5a7c8.JPG

DSCN7901.thumb.JPG.2dc549d37e4df8c8eebc6c7a7a6edfdb.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Obviously OEMs will fit. I have more of a problem finding a set (no real junkyards near me to speak of) than with some rust, I just don't want to pay to ship used rusty parts, if that makes sense.

I'm most interested if the cheapo brands are sized properly to accept the Koni inserts, hence my questions.

Rockauto has cheap struts, looks like you could get two new aftermarket front bodies for $80 shipped

Yup, I mentioned that up top ;) They're part of what I'm trying to find out.

Let me ask a different way: has anyone actually used Gabriel/FCS or any of the other dirt-cheap strut offerings as housings for Koni inserts? I'm trying to find out if the Konis fit into them properly. I wouldn't trust them to use as-is (I doubt they'd last long) but I'm wondering about the size of the casings/housings themselves and if they're in spec to use for Konis.