LegacyGT.com

First trip MPG -- I'm ok with it

This weekend I went for a first trip in the new-to-me 2015. Going down I had an AVG mpg of 37 --- what the heck can that be true.

Coming back without resetting it my AVG MPG went down to 34.3. No traffic jams either way, a small bit of in-town driving but 98% highway.

Avg MPH was 70.

So I would say for a car the size of the Outback my MPG on the trip was very good. Certainly much better than the Outbacks I owned that were 90's models.

You'll definitely want to calculate the mpg yourself when you fill up the tank. The computer mpg figures have a tendency to over exaggerate by a few miles per gallon. I have a mixture of rural/suburban driving with a very mountainous and hilly area. I'm getting 31-32 mpg during the summer months.

I think my MPH was high coming home and may be the difference in the MPG going down and back. I think at 70 MPH the MPG may drop.

34 for me calculated on a tank doing mostly 80mph in flat roads in Florida.

Well I've finally had a chance to drive the car as my daily driver. Running errands, stop and go, doing a normal for me day. I filled the tank before doing my day. At the end of the day the MPG was sitting at 17.7. Well that is 2 MPG better than a 1990 XJ6 I had that was used for the same daily adventures. It is about what I got on the 1997 Outback and the 2007 Volvo V50 turbo.

The 2011 Honda CRV with its 1.4 engine really does do close to what is registered with the EPA. The same driving gets me @ 23 MPG.

Not a thrilling MPG but an average that I've been accustomed to for the past 20 years.

But I only drive @ 6>7 thousand miles a year so I end up not using a lot of fuel and I do like driving the car. It is what it is.

2011 Honda CR-V is a 2.4L inline 4.. a 1.4L could not possibly hope to move that car....

when I drive 2015+ legacies as loaners they all averaged around 30 mixed. Key to success? key the tach at 2K or less when accelerating... my current car (14 Legacy) manages 29.7 calculated at 72mph, I can live with that. my wife's car (2003 Legacy) at the same speed averages 28.

Get up around 80 in the 14, mileage is still respectable at 27 but the 03 tanks quickly... (about 25)

True :)

Edmunds -- "EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)"

I think when my son had a little ole Saturn L 200 it was a 2.2 and that was not as big as the Honda.

Currently my 2.5 Turbo Volvo is sitting with an avg MPH of 16 and the avg MPG is 15 (137 miles driven). The Outback is sitting with an avg MPH of 23 and 19.6 avg MPG (went on the highway today). I'm wondering what the Outback MPG will look like when it hits the avg MPH of 16 which is my normal type of driving around this area?

Where do I see how many miles I've driven since I last reset the trip meter?

Under 2000 is difficult to get moving from a traffic light. My wife says I drive slow and to keep it under 2000 rpm I would be really slow from a stop.

2011 Honda CR-V is a 2.4L inline 4.. a 1.4L could not possibly hope to move that car....

when I drive 2015+ legacies as loaners they all averaged around 30 mixed. Key to success? key the tach at 2K or less when accelerating... my current car (14 Legacy) manages 29.7 calculated at 72mph, I can live with that. my wife's car (2003 Legacy) at the same speed averages 28.

Get up around 80 in the 14, mileage is still respectable at 27 but the 03 tanks quickly... (about 25)

^ what's the hurry? :p

Seriously though, if you want good fuel economy, you got to keep the foot out of the throttle....

you can use the information keys on lower left to cycle through the center LCD in the cluster and eventually you will get back to trip A and trip B

Archived