LegacyGT.com

Battery Replacement, Will it screw the electronics if...

If I disconnect the battery and pop an new one in. Will all the electronics screw up?

Driving ; Japanese Subaru Legacy SportsWagon 2.0GT AT (maybe 2003, or 05. First of the BP5)

I used to drive a crappy 1l car, but now with the turbo n'all, will I get my ass handed to me if I did the replacement myself without a garage. - Or do I need to jimmy-rig it to some other source of power when replacing?

First post here, sorry chaps

Ta

If you don't want to reset your clock or radio presets, etc. leave your car running while you change out your battery. Your car will not shut off unless your alternator is bad.

And also be careful with positive terminal to not let it touch any grounds on your car. This will shut off your car than you'll have to reset your clock and radio.

Sweet, thanks for the info.

Basically, if the battery gets disconnected its just a resetting of battery and clock- no bits of the car goes bad... Thanks for the clarification.

I was going to set up some jumper leads to another battery to keep the cars electronics powered, but wasnt sure about how 100% to do it. If I were to do it this way, would I need both the positive and negative nodes go to both batteries at the same time, and then remove the old and insert the new?

Keeping the car running seems an easier solution however ;-)

Sweet, thanks for the info.

Basically, if the battery gets disconnected its just a resetting of battery and clock- no bits of the car goes bad... Thanks for the clarification.

I was going to set up some jumper leads to another battery to keep the cars electronics powered, but wasnt sure about how 100% to do it. If I were to do it this way, would I need both the positive and negative nodes go to both batteries at the same time, and then remove the old and insert the new?

Keeping the car running seems an easier solution however ;-)

I forgot to mention that there is a better way to doing this and will save you from headache. That is to use a memory saver. It's basically a 9V battery that connects to your cigarette lighter slot. After you connected that you can go ahead and change out the car battery without having to leave the car running. And I didn't mention that it use to be easy doing it with the car on way but now a day cars are more equip with micro chips that doing it that way cay damage it. You can get this at an auto parts store. Good luck.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg309/SilverBOXER4/13D86243-3803-476B-A497-A0CEC9C04D0E-286-000000149D28137E.jpg

I forgot also that I cant start the car in its current stage, unless I get it jumped. But you know, living in Japan... Everyones reliant on "garages" and the like

+1 on that memory saver idea though! Gonna look into that one!

I forgot also that I cant start the car in its current stage, unless I get it jumped. But you know, living in Japan... Everyones reliant on "garages" and the like

+1 on that memory saver idea though! Gonna look into that one!

Than memory saver is the best route. Good luck.

• I Donated

There are only three things, bass middle and treble that effect how the radio sounds. 3 settings is not hard...

Just seems stupid to go and buy a new thing just to avoid resetting radio settings once. Sounds like OP is only doing this once not resetting it every week. Then I could understand the need to not want to redo your settings all the time, but just for one battery replacement it seems like a waste to me.

YMMV

True, oem radio has that -8 to +8 on all audio setting. But aftermarket had a few more you have to deal with. If OP decide not to go with 9V device, than using a portable jumper is the way to go. If OP have to purchase that, than it'll come in handy for future use.

If OP have to purchase that, than it'll come in handy for future use.

Yeah, completely correct.

I have found a set of jumper leads on Yahoo Auction, but they go for around 25/30 bucks a pair (including postage) for a cheap set. I found a cigarette lighter bobby for only 7 bucks with postage.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Not done it yet, just waiting for the stuff to come in the post.

Would like to have more of a clue on how to wire up the battery if I was to only use jumpers though. Is there a risk of shock?

@bucko;

I bought my car used, but compared to the old Nissan Micra I had, the Subaru Legacy came with great speakers from stock.

Wouldnt mind an MP3 CD player or aux input though. - and its not like its an easy deal pulling the radio out of this car, its a huge all-in-one jobby.

• I Donated
@bucko;

I bought my car used, but compared to the old Nissan Micra I had, the Subaru Legacy came with great speakers from stock.

Wouldnt mind an MP3 CD player or aux input though. - and its not like its an easy deal pulling the radio out of this car, its a huge all-in-one jobby.

Check out the jazzy aux in mod, best thing I ever did to my radio. It really wasn't that bad pulling the radio out, they have an entire walkthrough for every screw to pull out.

I would honestly just write down the radio preset and audio settings and redo it once you've reconnected the new battery. I wrote it in my cell phone so it's easy to bring it up.

The clock? It's super easy. You just have to press the "+" button until you get the right time.

Since you're from Japan, +1 for pics of the car! :)

Yeah, completely correct.

I have found a set of jumper leads on Yahoo Auction, but they go for around 25/30 bucks a pair (including postage) for a cheap set. I found a cigarette lighter bobby for only 7 bucks with postage.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Not done it yet, just waiting for the stuff to come in the post.

Would like to have more of a clue on how to wire up the battery if I was to only use jumpers though. Is there a risk of shock?

No risk of shock as long as negative goes to negative and positive goes to positive. Basically all you do is clamp your jumper to you terminal leads but be sure you have room to unscrew the the nuts on the lead. Your portable jumper will basically keep all you setting powered.

Oh and be sure you turn on the jumper power before remove the leads from your battery. :)

Since you're from Japan, +1 for pics of the car!

uhm, will do I guess ... slight scratches and a dint in the car (mystery how that got there but I reckon some other driver dinked it in the par cark)

Oh and be sure you turn on the jumper power before remove the leads from your battery.

Turn on? You mean be sure to connect the leads to the alternate battery before you disconnect the other one? ;-)

Pretty much got it down in my head now though, all sorted!

"Aux-in Mod"? : Thats will be in my "to do" list as soon as I get rid of my current ipod configuration (cigarette lighter transmitter). I bloody despise Itunes

uhm, will do I guess ... slight scratches and a dint in the car (mystery how that got there but I reckon some other driver dinked it in the par cark)

Turn on? You mean be sure to connect the leads to the alternate battery before you disconnect the other one? ;-)

Pretty much got it down in my head now though, all sorted!

"Aux-in Mod"? : Thats will be in my "to do" list as soon as I get rid of my current ipod configuration (cigarette lighter transmitter). I bloody despise Itunes

Sorry, thought you were talking about a jumper like this

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg309/SilverBOXER4/C403D35D-BB2B-4EA8-834F-11113908F90B-286-00000032BB5BB661.jpg

Had a look at the site, ... As said, Ill hold off til the ipod grinds to a halt ;-)

bucko3the7man, your car is "Brentuned", what the hell does that mean?

... btw; as I said, living in Japan... Currently anticipating missiles from North Korea. Ahhh

• I Donated
Had a look at the site, ... As said, Ill hold off til the ipod grinds to a halt ;-)

bucko3the7man, your car is "Brentuned", what the hell does that mean?

... btw; as I said, living in Japan... Currently anticipating missiles from North Korea. Ahhh

Bren Tuning in Worcester, MA tuned my car, he's one of the most popular tuners on the site. That's where it comes from. Good luck with not dying!

I replaced the battery in my 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback two weeks ago. I did not use any kind of alternate power source to preserve the charge in the car, so everything lost power for about thirty minutes (had to do a little work on the battery harness itself).

On the OEM stereo, I lost radio presets and clock. I am not 100% sure, but I think that the battery removal also reset the emissions ECU for the drive cycle. After I restored the battery I checked the monitors and it had "sensors pending" or whatever the o2 monitors say when it doesn't have complete data. Not a big deal unless you're about to go for an emissions inspection.

The only other piece worth repeating about batteries not already covered is to remove the cable from the negative (-) terminal first, and re-attach it last.

@ bucko3the7man :

What was done exactly to your car? stage 1 turbo charger?

I'd like to know how it changed, I remember hearing that the Legacy is a detuned boxer engine (compared to the Impreza). Or was it a simple ECU tuning? Was it "chipped" ? (like that lil upgrade you can do in GT4)

- and did it dramatically reduce fuel efficiency?

To be honest, I dont really have a clue about cars outside ripping a radio out, or regular maintenance (tyre pressure, oil, etc)

Archived