LegacyGT.com

The Best Oil Filter

Holly dead thread bump!

1* The OEM filter they speak of is no longer oem.

2* You may want to post in this sectios since recomendations for oil chage intervals changed since our 05-09 went out of production http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/fifth-generation-legacy-2010-2014-92.html

• 4 years later...

Also, why in the world would a Subaru dealer not sell u the filter that's the best fit for your application? No they dont want your motor to explode so you have to have a new motor put in by the Subaru dealer.

If anyone believes this you have serious issues with conspiracy theories. 911 was committed by our government so we could go to Iraq to get their oil, UFOs are going to attack......you get the picture.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IMO, using the stock Subie oil filter is a no brainer. That is most likely the filter used when testing our engines and is most likely the filter spec'd by Subie engineers as one that will filter the engine oil correctly and maintain engine life. Why use anything else? No doubt other filters may perform better, but how can one be sure, given our turbo engine and proximity to the exhaust? To me using the filter spec'd by Subaru seems like the best choice.
Well said. I agree

Cars are knocking BADLY, bone stock. There is a huge delay in the switch between open and closed loop fueling and the car runs at a stoich air/fuel ratio for a couple seconds under full boost. It is a bad, bad problem. Worse than when some of the first STI's were pinging on Cali gas. This affects every single '04+ WRX. Most people simply feel it as a flat spot in the powerband, which is the ECU pulling timing in response to the knock. Anything that helps the turbo spool quicker -- exhaust stuff, uppipe, etc -- exacerbates the problem because the car is at full boost longer before switching to open loop fueling.

By this token you would never modify anything on your car. Are you enjoying those RE-92's? Those are the tires "spec'd" by Subaru. I wonder why it puts them on nearly every single model. I bet it's because they were tested on each one and found to be the best possible tires, right? Maybe it's because the company gets a $2 discount per car when they buy xxx,xxx,xxx tires.

Maybe Subaru is using the exact same filter on our fancy turbo Legacys as it did on its 2.2 liter 1994 Impreza L. Well no, they made it skinner in '04.

Yes correct. Lets not confuse skinnier smaller and shorter smaller. As mentioned, the difference between the two Purolator Pure One filters (one being the stock filter that Subaru uses, by the way.... and you can get the Pure One's from autoparts stores for less than the stock one at a dealership, which should be no surprise) and the two Mobil 1 filters that I linked is how tall they are. They are all the same width. The manifold snakes around the side of the filter. Subaru did not change the height, they made it skinnier. No matter how tall the filter is, it has nothing whatsoever to do with its proximity to the manifold and nothing to do with how much heat it absorbs...

...actually, you could argue the taller filter gets more airflow, which would have a cooling effect. Increased oil capacity is a bonus. More filter medium means it can filter and hold more "stuff" without restriction. There is an inlet and outlet side in an oil filter just like an air filter. More surface area almost always means less restriction and longer service life.

Jeremy

The bright side is that our cars don't work filters very hard. I can't remember how many threads (dozen?) I've read with peoples' oil analysis results, but it's rare to see any breakdown before a good 8,000 miles, regardless of filter. To be completely honest, I don't think it's all that important on our cars.

Of course car companies will go with the cheaper way to do certain things if it makes sense. Every manufacturer of anything is going to do this. Now if this particular part or design comes out to be a huge mistake like burning up turbos, they will try to remedy the situation asap because this will affect future sales. Subaru changed their design of the filter because this again was the cheapest way to fix the problem. Not changing the exhaust configuration, not by redesigning the turbo not anything. Except to change the filter design. Wala problem solved for the customer using the cheapest way saving everyone involved money. Applauded the new engineer and fire the old one. Happens every day

I have tried NAPA Wix filters before and found that they loosen themselves after a period of time and have to be retightened on a regular basis. I am now running an Amzoil filter which has no such problem. I may try something cheaper next time - there has to be a decent filter out there that doesn't cost a ridiculous amount.

As for the Subaru filter, there isn't one. Subaru does not manufacture oil filters, they buy them in. This is similar to the situation with my Miata where the filters that came on the car were Tokyo Roki filters but if you buy a filter at the Mazda dealership, it is a rebranded Fram, which is a low-quality filter.

• 2 weeks later...
That's sorta a loaded question but I personally use either wix XP or royal purple oil filter I normally run the royal purple oil filter unless they don't have any in stock they both have good flow/ filtration specs and are built well as are some others out there

I run the best quality oil filter that the auto parts store has at the time for a 2001 Honda Civic. They are the same width and thread as the Subaru filter but taller. Another member mentioned Mobil 1 M-110, which is the filter for a 2001 Civic, BTW. I like having the larger size filter. In my opinion, having a good quality filter with adequate filter media is extremely important. I usually buy the Mobil 1 if available, but I've run Bosch Distance Plus, K&N, Purolator One, etc. There may be a "best" filter but I feel that any of the "premium quality" oil filters should be sufficient. Sometimes Autozone has oil change specials which include an STP filter and are cheaper than just buying the oil so I grab a random STP filter and throw it in the trash as I'm walking out the door. All of this is my opinion and is worth exactly what you paid for it.