LegacyGT.com

Full on manual conversion questions. 2007 legacy

So I have a 07 legacy with an auto trans, I also have a wrecked manual 2006 outback. I have the idea to take everything out of the outback and put it into the legacy. I realize the work load but no worried about it. im guessing I will have to swap the engine, trans, driveline, rear diff, dash, complete wiring harness's, center console, shifter, pedal, salve cylinder, all the modules, and the gauges. Am I missing anything? plus the outback has leather so that'll probly get swapped as well. im guessing if I don't swap all the modules the will be a correlation issue with the vins no matching. oh and the column too with the keys so that I wont have a security issue. any tips? let me know. thank you.

The trans tunnel and subframe are different between the two so you’ll also need to hack up the two subframes you already have to make one that fits the auto body and manual trans

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Transmission tunnels are not different in the slightest.

Nothing different about subframes, except spacers, either.

Odd... Maybe the US vehicles are different to AUDM/JDM in that matter too. On this side of the world custom crossmembers are made up to get things to fit as the body bolt holes don't line up with the ones from the manual cross member and the auto crossmember doesn't line up with the manual trans.

First one I could find with a decent pic.

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=1035

Edited by Andy_Mac

My bad, I was wrong and you're correct about the auto vs. manual issue. I don't know why I remembered reading this being bolt on affair.

Reference:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5eat-6mt-swap-questions-256284.html

I am pretty sure about Outback lift though. Outback's lift can be removed to make it Legacy, but it's lots of work.

Edited by unclemat

Ohh yea fully agree on the outback using spacers to lift the body. I just said subframe when meaning cross member in the first post.

So I have a 07 legacy with an auto trans, I also have a wrecked manual 2006 outback. I have the idea to take everything out of the outback and put it into the legacy. I realize the work load but no worried about it. im guessing I will have to swap the engine, trans, driveline, rear diff, dash, complete wiring harness's, center console, shifter, pedal, salve cylinder, all the modules, and the gauges. Am I missing anything? plus the outback has leather so that'll probly get swapped as well. im guessing if I don't swap all the modules the will be a correlation issue with the vins no matching. oh and the column too with the keys so that I wont have a security issue. any tips? let me know. thank you.

IMO That is a lot of work to put a MT in an auto Legacy. I would sell the Legacy, part out the OB and make some $ to put towards buying a MT Legacy.

thank you for the info. I know that its a ton of work but both cars were free and I have plenty of time. I will make sure to deal with the tunnel and the subframe issues. plus when its done ill feel good about all the time it took.haha

As long as you're doing the work yourself and enjoy projects like this it'll be well worthwhile primarily for the experience.

Paying a shop to do it on the other hand is pure madness.

Please do it. And put a great how to with lots of pictures. Would like to do the same myself. Subaru's are known as Legos.

The newer Subaru's are not Legos when it comes to electronics...

I could see how how having a shop do something like this would be absolutely pointless but I have been in the automotive field for about 10 years now and have a unique situation to do it. so far all I have done is strip the interior on the legacy to make sure the tunnel would work in some way and that the same slave cylinder mounting and clutch pedal mounting is there and it all looks good so far. I am trying to keep a good log of the progress. i