LegacyGT.com

Removing rust and repainting yourself?

Insidiouskermit

I have zero experience working on the exterior of cars so I've attached a picture of a rust spot that started to form over this past winter. There's a similar spot forming on the other side of the car. This is the back wheel well of my '05 Legacy. Anyone know what it would cost to have this professionally repaired? I'm hesitant to even ask the local dealership because when I asked them for a quote on new tires the total was over $900.

As I mentioned, I don't really have any experience or the tools on hand. How much would all the tools together cost to fix this.

http://i.imgur.com/AOHdwyf.jpg

Bump ttt

I too am having very small rust spots on my roof and side beam. The metal on these cars must be extremely shitty because I have never had this much little rust spots... or ANY on my Mazda. And living in Hawaii I am prone to salt air. Any feedback will be great.

Well I mean I guess I would sand out the area with a coarse grit paper until the rust is gone, then hit it with something finer. A bit of bondo to make up any area that rusted off or was sanded away. Sand it by hand into shape as much as possible, I'd probably wet sand too. The toughest part of the whole job would be to blend the paint into the panel around the area. Prime it first but you'd have to buy some of whatever your color is and apply the different coats with a paint gun, blending it into the surrounding areas as best you can. I think that's where people mess things up the most. They just use a black aerosol can to spray a car that's metallic black and it looks awful. I'd say your biggest concern would be the paint so your best bet in my opinion would be to get it to a point where it's prepped the best possible and bring it to a body shop and have em shoot it with a paint gun and the right equpment. I'd get it all sanded, filled, and primed and take it to a shop if you really want to do it yourself. Also, I would not be asking the dealer about doing it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a spot like this on the car I just bought, seems like the only bit of rust other than above the windshield.

I'd say your biggest concern would be the paint so your best bet in my opinion would be to get it to a point where it's prepped the best possible and bring it to a body shop and have em shoot it with a paint gun and the right equpment. I'd get it all sanded, filled, and primed and take it to a shop if you really want to do it yourself.

This is what i am planning to do. Paint is just too finicky to do in your garage. You need a place where they can blend properly and bake it. I have a buddy who used to do this type of work, and I'm hoping he can help me prep it properly. I plan to document and post if he does.

You have to pull the screw out of the bumper and get that out of the way and also take that rubber strip off to properly prepare if for paint, If you go around these things it will be back in a year or less. You also need some good corrosion protection or self etching primer, don't just bondo over the pitted metal. If you don't have the experience or tools, I wouldn't waste your time or money buying everything to do the job. If you know someone that is good, that helps and would be better. To have it professionally done, they will blend the paint out on about half the panel and then clearcoat the whole quarter, probably about a grand at most in a reputable shop.

http://apps.sherwin-automotive.com/products/show_product.cfm?product=988

This is commonly used in shops. If your in a high corrosive environment, nothing will be permanent, rust sucks and once it starts, it's hard to stop it. If there are pin holes in the panel and you don't weld them or seal it with fiberglass the new paint will start to bubble in a matter of months. The best way i have found to combat that "hotspot" for rust on legacys is to pull the side carpet back in the trunk and spray oil or some form of corrosion protection on the inside of the quarter panel and have it drip out the pinch weld in the spot you have shown. I had a 96 legacy with over 300k miles on it that spent most of its life in the salt belt of the northeast and it never even started to bubble there. I oiled it every fall in all the hot spots for rust and it never happened. Even if it has started, you can basically stop it with oil or the product below.

http://www.keeprustaway.com/index.php/retail/

That stuff is incredible. Been using it for years.

Archived