LegacyGT.com

Racer X (itsme) FMIC install

itsme

The first thing I did was trim those tabs on the airbox, there was no way I was even going to be able to fit the pipe in without doing so. Even so, the box is pushed over so that the little rubber mount that's on the top right is sheared over as far as it will allow. I'll get some pics of how I routed everything and maybe you guys can give me some insight about where to place them better. Thanks a lot.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DISCLAIMER: My RacerX FMIC fits and works. Bryan did a great job given the space in the 05 engine bay. I'm picky, so I'm trying to make it better.

My FMIC core is about 2" off center, but I attribute that to manufacturing and installation variation. I'm going to remove + reinstall to get the core closer to center. If I need to cut the cold side pipe from the battery to FMIC and put in another connector, so be it (I'm a perfectionist engineer, as if that isn't redundant).

With some work I think the Mishimoto radiator can fit, but it will be a custom job, not bolt-in. For most people it's probably more work than it is worth.

Kyle "BlackHole"

Kyle, the core can be centered. Somewhere in here I did a write up showing how to center it perfectly. It just pushes the cold side pipe into the cam cover bolt. Cutting the pipe and installing the supplied hump hose coupler along with the new replacement cam cover bolt Bryan is sending is the hot ticket. It will allow you to center the core, alleviate the pipe hitting the bolt head and then give you a way to remove the battery easily.

As for the Moshimoto Rad. Good luck man. You only have 1 and 1/4 inches of clearance (give or take) between the radiator and the pulleys. Hows a 2 and 1/2 inch pipe going to fit in there? Two objects can not occupy the same space. Making the pipe smaller, then larger is going to really mess with pressure, lol.

Kyle, the core can be centered. Somewhere in here I did a write up showing how to center it perfectly. It just pushes the cold side pipe into the cam cover bolt. Cutting the pipe and installing the supplied hump hose coupler along with the new replacement cam cover bolt Bryan is sending is the hot ticket. It will allow you to center the core, alleviate the pipe hitting the bolt head and then give you a way to remove the battery easily.

As for the Moshimoto Rad. Good luck man. You only have 1 and 1/4 inches of clearance (give or take) between the radiator and the pulleys. Hows a 2 and 1/2 inch pipe going to fit in there? Two objects can not occupy the same space. Making the pipe smaller, then larger is going to really mess with pressure, lol.

FWIW I was never able to center mine either after multiple tries. I got it closer though.

FWIW I was never able to center mine either after multiple tries. I got it closer though.

It is not easy to do and requires some adjusting and possibly cutting away a little more of the metal flange from the bumper. I gave up after it was pointed out to me that the FACTORY bumper skin is not asymetrical anyway.

None of my pipes lined up even within an inch, distance or angle wise.

I can only guess that your install is a not routed cleanly between the pipes/lines making it sloppy. I am NOT being insulting - if you saw one cleaning installed you would understand. ALL of my pipes click-connect within the couplers.

Granted, I did have an install from the one and only MSprank and without him I would have ended up like you, but that was before the install pics and walkthough. I suggest that you take some GOOD photos of what you have done with your install and first compare them to the install photos here. Correct what is different THEN repost what your issues are.

MSprank is able to put a VERY clean install together for you that will reduce any wear and maximize the use and usefulness of your FMIC. Consider meeting up with him. I am sure he can clean it up for you for a good price.

Edited by LosAngelesLGT

I wasn't complaining about the setup, I was merely asking for help.

Anyway, I decided I wasn't going to mess with the cold side since it wasn't too misaligned, the couplers weren't kinking over to one side like the hot side ones are.

Here are the pics of how I have the hot side pipes. I cant get that long 2.25" pipe to go where it needs to be. Some help?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6IC_v7-gpNlPi0t9GLWrmg?feat=directlink...Could someone tell me how to post pics? Lol..

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6IC_v7-gpNlPi0t9GLWrmg?feat=directlinkhttp://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6SkAbYt-ZwWMD67qv2b7Qg?feat=directlinkhttp://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/oxz2hPRwB6OMpCnDeVl9pA?feat=directlinkhttp://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/VEmOfoRaoal6IIgBij0fow?feat=directlinkhttp://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2vuPejNaoTb6W9dtjYctIA?feat=directlinkhttp://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2LDf8tSZheMkz1hqIqV5rA?feat=directlinkhttp://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_BQt7FJ3DqgpU1i8DAjPrQ?feat=directlink

Edited by shrike1201
Adding pics

You need to trim alot back on the driver side to get it centered. Don't be afraid, it's not a structural boo boo to trim it back. In fact, that is why I had such a hard time getting that pipe thru, I did not trim enough of the flange.

What is the purpose of keeping the bumper beam when a FMIC is installed??

I am very weight conscious when it comes to modding my car. If I were to do a FMIC I would do away with the front bumper beam as the FMIC is only adding front end weight if the bumper beam is kept which does nothing for the understeer.

FYI, I'm not bashing anyone or anything, just curious.

Edited by lightweight14

What is the purpose of keeping the bumper beam when a FMIC is installed??

I am very weight conscious when it comes to modding my car. If I were to do a FMIC I would do away with the front bumper beam as the FMIC is only adding front end weight if the bumper beam is kept which does nothing for the understeer.

FYI, I'm not bashing anyone or anything, just curious.

Because if you crash a pretty FMIC won't help you. Plus, if you do have an accident and the insurance company sees you don't have a bumper will they cover you? The bumper is not very heavy and for me it was not worth the risk.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I likely would not have bought the kit if I had to lose the bumper beam.

As far as the pipe alignment goes, the cold side is a little tricky. My pipes/coupler above the battery are the only ones that look a little "off". The hot side fit just about perfect w/the VF40 on my car.

Now I think my stock BPV is leaking a bit at times under high boost. Since the new pill I have seen 18 psi peak in 2nd and 20 in 3rd.

For those who've heard a stock BPV leaking under boost, what did it sound like to you?

and for the hell of it, a couple more quick pics of the kit installed on my 05:

my only slightly "off" looking coupler/pipes

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4659/67326534.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7900/89932324.jpg

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/7357/subie02.jpg

Because if you crash a pretty FMIC won't help you. Plus, if you do have an accident and the insurance company sees you don't have a bumper will they cover you? The bumper is not very heavy and for me it was not worth the risk.

From a safety standpoint I understand, I just never saw anyone on IWSTI that kept the bumper beam when going FMIC.

Great design though, admire that you put in the time to develop one which retained the foglights and beam.

... never saw anyone on IWSTI that kept the bumper beam when going FMIC...

This has been discussed ad-infinitium and a great many legacy drivers are driving a legacy because of awd and 5 star crash ratings. It is comforting to have a solid whip when you are going well over 100 on a track OR facing an offset head on by the assjack in the suv while grocery-getting.

Bumper beams are absolutely critical in the transfering of force in the frame during impact. Owners who drive without a bumper beam drive on the track or don't care about their own safety or the safety of their passengers. 'nuff said

EDIT: I would not have a FMIC if Bryan had not created this. I would not have accepted any angle-steel alternative mount that the competition has created and I would certainly not drive in my city without a bumper beam. I have been hit offset head-on (not at fault) and rear-ended at a dead-stop. REAL WORLD=BUMPER BEAM. If there is some concern about the bumper beam, it is pretty light weight and I can only suggest that whatever understeer its weight may save would absolutely, positively not be noticed on STREET driven cars - AT ALL.

Edited by LosAngelesLGT

My main concern with this setup is air infiltration. It seems a good 50% of the FMIC is covered by the bumper beam. Any thoughts or opinions on this??

This is where I mentioned on another thread that the 06/07 sti front bumper conversion would be a great idea as there is ALOT of room for a FMIC setup.

My main concern with this setup is air infiltration. It seems a good 50% of the FMIC is covered by the bumper beam. Any thoughts or opinions on this??

This is where I mentioned on another thread that the 06/07 sti front bumper conversion would be a great idea as there is ALOT of room for a FMIC setup.

Bumper beam or skin or both. No LGT FMIC has more than 50% of the core exposed.

So it's not normal to hear the turbo sort of whistle?

Mine does. But check for leak just incase.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Tthe oem TMIC is covered in comparison 80% or more. If I want to expose my FMIC more I simply have to cut out the center vertical bumper skin post in the middle of the opening exposing the FMIC. I have been considering cutting and glassing the opening and tossing a grill on as others have done.

I find it comforting that my FMIC is partically BEHIND my bumper beam for practical reasons: When the guy gets his F150 back, from the body shop, after the fatality offset collsion with the sti san bumper beam, backs into my car parallel parking I hope my bumper beam takes the hit not my FMIC. (If it crushes more than the foam it was more than a parking collision IMO). Maybe I should just order a spare core from Bryan considering my luck.:spin:

...and I don't want an sti front end. I would have gotten an sti in that case.:p