LegacyGT.com

My 06 legacy gt

So this car was my christmas present for myself. After a while of loving her, i saw this white version of mine and she sounded sweet... I have no idea if it was turbo or not, i havent seen it again to ask. After 2 weeks of being enamored with the exhaust note, i looked at parts and what not. Im clueless and hoping you all know more about this? Suggest somethings that i can do? I saw some stage kits but it all seems to be for one without the hoodscoop.

Sent from my A570BL using Tapatalk

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Assuming you have a gt and it's an 06, the first thing I would do would be to swap the up-pipe for a newer catless LGT up-pipe. As for the sound, the cheapest and easiest thing to do would be a hogzaust, otherwise any cat-back should be fine, just depends what sound you're looking for.

Assuming you have a gt and it's an 06, the first thing I would do would be to swap the up-pipe for a newer catless LGT up-pipe. As for the sound, the cheapest and easiest thing to do would be a hogzaust, otherwise any cat-back should be fine, just depends what sound you're looking for.

After hogzaust you can also delete the rear cans and have a shop extend the pipe out the back with tips of choice as next cheapest option. This may be just enough for Boxer rumble satisfaction. I wish I stopped there, I decided to delete the resonator in the mid pipe and things got out of hand shortly after that. I have about 4 resonators (2 in the mid and 2 as cans in the back) and I still would rattle pictures on the wall on cold start ups.

Wow, rattling stuff is nuts! So i looked at a couple up pipes. All say something about a turbo which i don't have... Its okay to get an aftermarket one? Sorry for all the questions you all answer in your sleep. I can do general maint stuff, but it stops there sadly.

So.... Silly question.. Whats the differences between my legacy gt ltd and the spec b? I know i don't have a turbo, but finding stuff always turns up spec b nd i dont want to buy the wrong stuff

• Moderators
So.... Silly question.. Whats the differences between my legacy gt ltd and the spec b? I know i don't have a turbo, but finding stuff always turns up spec b nd i dont want to buy the wrong stuff

Sorry, but are you really this clueless or is this a joke?

Do you actually have a Legacy GT? If so, it has a turbo.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

The GT is turbocharged. The Spec B is essentially a limited edition version of the GT so they are the same except the Spec B has a 6-speed manual, upgraded suspension, and maybe some other minor differences. both are turbocharged.

Reason for changing the uppipe is to get rid of the catalytic converter in it so pieces of it don't come off and destroy the turbo. A lot of times when the turbo fails it destroys the engine too. Later models had uppipes without catalytic converters because Subaru recognized this problem. Also look into the turbo banjo bolt filter.

Just a quick question, I know some overseas Spec B were 6 Cyls, is that the same for some GT.

OP, can you take a quick engine bay picture for us so we can make sure we are feeding you the right info? I literally almost 2.5i trunk swapped to delete my GT spoiler years back and that's a possible situation here.

Hah after talking with this guy i met i found out a lot more about my car, but yes i am that clueless barmanbean, thanks for noticing! Thank you for the up pipe info! I will post the picture of the bay later. I remember the guy i spoke with telling me i have the ej255btcub. Where can i read about it? Maybe i wont be so clueless haha

Hah after talking with this guy i met i found out a lot more about my car, but yes i am that clueless barmanbean, thanks for noticing! I was always under the impression gt was a luxury upgrade like other grand touring vehicles. Is this the case but they stuck on some performance upgrades? Thank you for the up pipe info! I will post the picture of the bay later. I remember the guy i spoke with telling me i have the ej255btcub. Where can i read about it? Maybe i wont be so clueless haha

Hah after talking with this guy i met i found out a lot more about my car, but yes i am that clueless barmanbean, thanks for noticing! Thank you for the up pipe info! I will post the picture of the bay later. I remember the guy i spoke with telling me i have the . Where can i read about it? Maybe i wont be so clueless haha

http://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/ENGINE-ASSEMBLY-EJ255BTCUB/49222825/10100BM740.html

Stolt from a quick Wiki as my search went rogue... Permission granted to edit the right stuff in.

EJ255

DOHC 16-valve turbo with sodium-filled valves originally designed for North American market, now sees usage in some European Imprezas and Legacies destined for Australia and South Africa. Power 210-265 hp

EJ255 Version 1: Used in the 2005 and 2006 Legacy, as well as the 2004 and 2005 Forester. This engine uses the AB440 shortblock, which is the same shortblock as the 2004-2006 STI EJ257. The heads on these EJ255 are the AB650s, while the US 04-06 STI is the familiar AB640/910. The cams are the same between the EJ255 Version 1 and the EJ257.

EJ255 Version 2: Used in the 2006-2008 WRX, the 2007+ Legacy, and the 2006+ Forester. This is the newer AIS equipped EJ255, which uses a slightly different AB630 shortblock, as well as the AB820 heads. The only difference in the shortblock of this EJ255 and the 04-06 EJ257 is the pistons. They are of nearly the same construction, but have a slightly larger dish volume. As for the heads, the AB630 heads have a smaller combustion chamber, but I do not yet know the exact specs. I suspect it is around 50ccs based on the engine config spreadsheet listed. Subaru lists the CR at 8.4:1 vs 8.2:1 for the 04-06 STI engine.

Usage in North America:

Impreza (WRX): 2006–2014

Forester XT: 2004–2013

Legacy GT: 2005–2012

Outback XT: 2005-2009

Baja XT: 2004 - 2006

SAAB 9-2X: 2006 only

Usage in the rest of the world:

Legacy/Outback: 2007–present

Impreza: 2005–present

Forester: 2005–2010

Thanks! So i have another noob question. What sort of exhaust systems can i go for? I am assuming intake and exhaust. I have the catless up pipe from this place in boulder colorado. But i cant pay the labor for a week so it sits in my closet. What are some realistic options? Since its my only car i plan on keeping i dont want to do much yet. But im skeptical of autozone stuff..

Here's my suggestion: slow down and start reading this website a bit more before you go all in spending a bunch of money and end up with some poor choices that you will regret later. These cars are awesome good fun, but they are not for the faint of heart and they are not Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys with legendary reliability and slow-ass boring road manners. Intake is not something you want to do on this car for a long time up the modding curve. I know that seems counter-intuitive for the ricer set, but the stock intake on the LGT is actually already a cold air intake from the factory and they flow really really well. You don't need an intake until you are making well north of 350 all-wheel horsepower (at the wheels).

It's still not clear to me whether or not you have a turbocharged Legacy GT or whether you have some weird amalgamation of parts. You would do well to figure out exactly what you've got first. Yes an EJ255 is a turbocharged motor for a Legacy GT, but "some guy said I had" is not quite the same as what you actually have.

Look, there's nothing wrong with not knowing much about cars and not knowing much about Subaru Legacy GTs either. When I first joined this site way back in '11 or '12, I didn't really know shit about cars either. That's what makes this site so great. It can teach you pretty much exactly as much as you need or want to know, but it's going to take some investment of time to read to figure things out.

We're happy to help you out and make recommendations on what to do and what parts to buy, but you really need to have some understanding of what you are doing and the choices you are making before you start modifying a 10 year old turbo Subaru and ultimately end up with a very expensive permanent driveway ornament. If you blow the motor on this thing, it will be $6000 (minimum) to get it back on the road.

First off, let's see what you've actually got. Sounds like your car says GT on the back and has a hood scoop on it. Sounds like a GT to me. Which means it's turbocharged. Here's an easy way to tell for sure: pop the hood. Is there an intercooler mounted on top of the engine? An intercooler looks a little bit like a radiator, but smaller and stuck on top of the engine (in the EJ255 stock configuration).

The purpose of the intercooler is to cool the compressed air boost being made by the turbo. When you compress air, it heats it up significantly, which drastically reduces the efficiency and effectiveness of a turbocharger. However, if you cool the compressed air charge between the turbo and the throttle body with an intercooler, the air charge temp will be much closer to what a naturally-aspirated aircharge is at, while being signifcantly compressed. Lots more air means you can add lots more fuel and get lots more bang.

Show us a pic of your engine bay or confirm that you have an intercooler on top and we'll start pointing you in the right direction. But at this point, I think you need to slow down and research a bit more what you've got and where you want to go. If it is indeed turbocharged, we'll start talking about uppipes and downpipes and catbacks and tunes and turbo swaps and forged pistons and nitrided cranks and front-mounted intercoolers and more power.

Lemme ask you this: have you thought at all about handling (suspension) mods yet? How about braking mods? You wanna make this car go faster. Perhaps you might consider how you will make it stop and turn better first before you overpower the stock components. Good luck and welcome to LGT.com. Enjoy!

Here, this is what an EJ255 turbo Subaru LGT engine bay looks like (see the intercooler right in the middle, near the windshield/firewall):

15213687185_0a469d3c31_b.jpg

What uppipe did you buy? OEM or aftermarket? Is it a flex joint or solid up? Does it have an EGT bung or not? It's not just as simple as throw parts on there and go faster. You are going to need to start thinking about tuning before you modify the exhaust. Yes, you can technically get away with an aftermarket uppipe and no tune, but any other airflow (exhaust or intake) changes are going to *REQUIRE* a tune. Here's your homework: see if you can figure out what Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, and Stage 4 mean in terms of modification as it relates to turbo Subarus. Then you might be able to start to make some reasonable choices about what your goals are and what you want to spend to get there. Faster ain't free. ;)

im skeptical of autozone stuff..

You should be. There are definitely things that are totally fine to get at Autozone, but hard parts are not really among them. We have lots of really great vendors registered on this site that are great places to buy good parts. Check out the vendor section and figure out who some of them are and which ones you might like to use.

OP, that picture in post 14 is a 07-09 legacy GT, it has the air pump over by the battery.

Your's should look something like this, this photo is from a few years back. I don't have a picture of it stock. You want have the air/oil separator and IPR tmic. (top mount intercooler)

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4365.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I can post a picture of the bay tomorrow but this is her sheet. Ive read about it a bit, and havent perused the site much. The intercooler is on the top. I know i dont know a lot but admittedly im only after the exhaust note. With that may come some speed but, its plenty quick right now. The up pipe i bought at the suggestion of the shop i was at is flex, with no bung. I understand the risks with modding the piss out of it, but i want her to breathe well, and sound nice and not much else till I pay the rest off and get something else. She is also under 80k miles with the only problem being my left turn signal dash light intermittently stops flashing. I am curious what stages actually mean, i get mixed answers so i will get on that and get back to you shortly. I also now know a lot more but not all about the differences between the spec b, so that was a silly question.... Also i know that a lot of this requires a tune when i start getting nuts with it, surely i can get her to purr without going too nuts. f4adb61752e7df5da56b78c870d138ed.jpg

9349130ddaa5e762a8376e50c5adead7.jpg

Beautiful car! The Tuning is needed when airflow parts are changed to prevent he car from running lean mainly. A lean air fuel condition will cause things to get hot and break. It can cause detonation in the engine and engine failure. You can probably get an axle back exhaust or a cat back for noise. I'd get a tune for a catback but you might not need it, especially if you're on the stock downpipe. Someone else can correct me though.

Thanks! I love her! So i did a bit of reading. So far still in the dark on stage 2-4. I understand i wouldnt get anything or actually perform worse with just slapping them on, because the management system wouldnt know. Im not sure if stage 1 can fix that, but it can help it use what i have better. I also found out until this happens the UP i got would trigger a problem. Makes sense to me so far. I just gotta figure out what the others are [emoji14]

Read the sticky's.

Stage 2 is a down pipe and tune

Stage 3 is bigger turbo and supporting mod's

Stage 4 would be internal engine mods.

Stage 2 is where you want to be.

So your up pipe should have the DP and tune all at the same time.

Before you spend money, make sure the oil usage is ok. these cars can use oil at different rates, keep checking and topping it off, never let it get low, more oil to better then low oil.

Cobb AP is the easy way to get stage 1, & 2 with supporting mod.

Ask us before you spend any more money.

OH YEA, make sure the timing belt was replaced at 10 years old. The Aisin Kit seems the best one out there now. http://partcat.com/aisin TKF-004

https://www.google.com/search?espv=2&q=aisin+timing+belt+kit+2005+subaru+legacy+gt&oq=aisin+timing+belt+kit+2005+subaru+legacy+gt&gs_l=serp.3...7203.19814.0.20376.22.22.0.0.0.0.203.2417.8j13j1.22.0....0...1.1.64.serp..0.16.1632...0j35i39k1j0i22i30k1j33i160k1j33i21k1.0FD1fSrL0nc

I was just checking the Euro site, they have two Aisin kits for a 2005 GT. Seems one has the lower pulley missing. I suggest you buy the kit from one of the few trusted vendors on here. You can call and talk to a real person if you need.

I ordered motul gear 300 from http://www.AZPinstalls.com the other day and got a phone call verifying the info. May be it cost a bit more then some place you can never talk to someone but the piece of mind is priceless.

http://www.infamouseperformance.net "m sprank" (member name) is another good place. As well as the best tuner http://www.tuningalliance.com I just ordered a new clutch from him.

These guy's can get you any part you need and give you good advice on what you want and need.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Good look on the timing belt! Ill figure out if it has been done yet or not. Is the 05 assembly the same as an 06? I see ones that say 05-06 only or 06-09 or 00-06. So i do have to go stage 2 for what i want, fair enough. I'll find out what i can for the belt/assembly!

You said you're just interested in some exhaust noise, right? You don't need a Stage 2 tune for that. I'm not sure you even need any tune to be honest but don't quote me on that.

For SURE make sure the timing belt is done before you start spending money on exhaust or any other performance/fun mods.

IF you're going to get a Cobb AccessPort to flash a map (tune) to your car, it's only a few hundred bucks more to add a downpipe into the picture and flash a Stage 2 tune instead of a Stage 1 tune.

The stock downpipe is kind of the first biggest restriction that's bottlenecking the power on the car as it sits now. You can get a few horsepower out of JUST a tune but buying the downpipe too is just a really good value and makes the car feel more powerful. It also adds a little bit of throatiness to the exhaust I think (mine is catless though). Even a performance downpipe with a high flow catalytic converter well net you almost as big of a gain as a catless downpipe because the restriction seems to be in the design of the "bellmouth" near where the downpipe connects to the turbo.

Buying the accessport is like when you go to the movie theater and buy a really expensive small tub of popcorn. Buying the downpipe too is like paying 50¢ more to upgrade to a large popcorn. Mmm I'm hungry.

EDIT: Also, here's a Stage guide for reference: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/unofficial-legacy-gt-stage-upgrade-definitions-48123.html

It's more of a guideline than a specific set of rules. Also, I think if you talk to WRX/STI guys they may have their own ideas of what stages mean on their cars.

Archived