LegacyGT.com

WRX rims on 1990 legacy (stock)?

Hello i have a 1990 legacy with stock springs i believe and I recently bought 16 inch WRX/impreza rims for it with new tires for $150. It was a good deal so i had to jump on it and this is what my right rear tire looks like. Is this bad? will it mess up my turning? it doesn't rub the wheel well but it cuts it very close with the springs.http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/250808_423279077717218_2138716965_n.jpg

• I Donated
If it doesn't hit the bottom perch of the strut when the car isn't moving, you're fine (assuming all your bushings and bearings are in good shape). The distance from the axle to the bottom perch stays constant at all times.

the relationship of tire and strut do not change during suspension travel. everything is hard mounted together and the are no flexible areas to allow the wheel to travel up the strut and contact it. the tire may come in contact with the fender but you should have no problems with it coming into contact with the strut.

and those tires are pretty chopped. i bet they are pretty noisey. but as long as your alignment is good, they should somewhat straighten out.

I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

P205/50r16 should fit nicely. And you can get decent performance treads for that. The wrx wheel came w/ p205/55r16 but the slightly smaller diameter should help clear a little bit better.

there isn't any way for a tire to get rid of body roll. unless they are so large in diameter they come into contact with the body limiting its travel.

Actually it can. And the way it works is by lowering the side wall of the tire. The smaller side gets rid kg the flex in the tire and there fore getting rid of some of the body roll. Yes if you take a 90 degree turn at 40 mph there still will be roll. But it gets rid of the small amount. You should definitely feel a difference in the handling.

that is tire roll. not body roll. two totally different things with two totally different solutions. not even close. they don't even cause the same problems.

• I Donated
Yes but the wider width of the tire will make the car more stable. Allowing less movement.

Incorrect. The wider width of the tire will create more traction, which if anything will allow more body roll before handling limits are reached.

Advice: instead of doubling down on a stupid comment, admit you were wrong before you dig too deep a hole.

With coilovers I got 225/45/17 on LGT wheels. Its the biggest tires i could get without flaring the fenders. Although i had to cut/roll my fenders completely flat on the inside. Coilovers/springs/shocks and swaybars get rid of body roll not wheels or tires. However if you flared the fenders I imagine getting a 255/45/17 on there, but only with adjustable coilovers for the inside clearances. A 255 tire would probably destroy stock/worn out bushings. It handles amazing now and I would even go so far to say I can pull away from a stock sti in the twisties. I weighed about 400 lbs less than my friends carbon fibered out sti. Although he pulls me in the straights with about 450hp. He can't pull me in the corners and under deceleration the rear can easily be coaxed into a scandanavian flick and Drift. Battery in the trunk helped handling a bit also. Ill upgrade the stock SS swaybars/bushings when they wear out but they do a pretty good job with the coilovers to keep it flat.

What size tires do you have? i have 16 inch rims for my 93 but i need tires and i have no clue what size will fit well.

I am almost positive i have 205/55/r16 on the rims right now, I'm on vacation though and away from my car so I can't check.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived