LegacyGT.com

A/C compressor won't kick in after repair work

The compressor was failing, so I installed a different compressor (not new).

Removed and replaced expansion valve, receiver drier, and compressor. Also changed the starter due to intermittent start. During the starter replacement, battery was disconnected.

Now compressor refuse to come on.

The pressure switch at receiver is working properly.

When I apply 12v to compressor directly, it comes on, so the clutch on new compressor is ruled out.

I'm guessing I bumped some wiring while replacing the starter or pulling the evaporator housing out.

What do I need to check though?

Right now it doesn't. I recovered the charge, because I'm ready to pull the evaporator box again to chase down the electrical issue.

The only thing in A/C system that senses refrigerant pressure is the pressure switch, which have been verified to work correctly.

Needs to be recharged before it will kick on, if you kicked it on with out fridgerant it will burn up the compressor. how did you recover your old fridgerant? I know some rather large machines that shops use to save fridgerant sometimes but Ive never seen anyone save it without being a pro . Have you converted to r134 yet? I always borrow the gauges/vacuum pump from autozone and do a vacuum leakdown test before charging. The vacuum pump will also boil out any water/moisture/ contaminants in the system.

Has anyone ever upgraded their compressor from an r12 unit to a unit designed for r134a? I was wondering if the r134 works a lot better or a little better in a compressor made for r134 compared to a r134 converted r12 compressor? I know my dads 86 svo mustang with r12 in it still kicks my subies r134 converted AC

The r12 is a few degrees colder than the r134 from what I have read and what some guys on bbs have said. That is why I am not going to convert my SS to r134 until I have to. It is more expensive to charge and you can only go to a dealership to charge r12. BTW, don't ever use a r134 kit to charge an r12 compressor.

around here.. in the northern indiana region..... r12 is extint...... even finding a shop that has a machine that recovers r12 is very difficult...

my 93 still runs on r12 and is nice and cold... even in these 100 degree days we been having!!!

Well all the swaps ive done ive been forced to convert. I recharged my r12 compressor with r134a retrofit kit, works great for me. i know r12 is better. Why wouldn't r134 work?

My question was, in late 93/94 I think the industry switched to r134a and I was wondering if I picked a newer compressor that was designed for 134, would it be better and would it bolt in? I'm sure it would be better, I wondering if anyone has done this. Its hot as hell in az so any extra cooling power is worth a spending few extra bucks to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Mine does that too. It's actually a plug

in the back behind that little black port

to the right of the steering wheel that

I have to mess with. Not the solders like

I initially though.

I need to check on that... Does yours somewhat fix itself when you punch the A/C button? That's what I neeed

to do to get the compressor to come on when it doesn't turn on with a normal push.

It used to. Then I moved onto hitting

the dash on top of the unit, but it quit

working that way too. My friend actually

found it out for me. The way he found

out it even worked was cause I put a

cigarette lighter port in that black piece

and he removed it and had hit the connector

one day while the black piece was out and the

AC kicked on when I started the car. Messed

with the connector and it went back off. Touched

it again...well, you get the picture.

Archived