LegacyGT.com

Quieter exhaust for a 2.5 gt?

I have a 2010 2.5 GT. The previous owner put a pair of Aero turbine mufflers on it and they drone horribly between 2000-3000 rpm.

So my options:

Convert back to stock or some other aftermarket.

From the looking around I've done nameless w/ 5" mufflers is probably the quietest.

Anything else I should look at?

You could add a resonator (is yours still intact?). I doubt the Nameless will be any better.

You state a quieter exhaust and resonance. Do you want both? A resonator will remove resonance at a given frequency while a muffler will quiet down the exhaust volume and remove some resonance depending on the design.

How butchered is your exhaust? Can you bolt stock axle back mufflers on?

You could add a resonator (is yours still intact?). I doubt the Nameless will be any better.

You state a quieter exhaust and resonance. Do you want both? A resonator will remove resonance at a given frequency while a muffler will quiet down the exhaust volume and remove some resonance depending on the design.

How butchered is your exhaust? Can you bolt stock axle back mufflers on?

The stock resonator is there, I have no idea if it's been gutted. I cannot bolt the stock exhaust back on. I'd have to either get flanges welded back or something else.

If you get the Nameless, will you still need flanges welded in? If so, I would suggest just heading to an exhaust shop and asking them to weld you in bigger, better straight through mufflers.

If not, just order the Nameless, but know that there are quieter catback options such as Invidia Q300 and Avo.

Edit: Here's another option, you could go stage 2 for pretty cheap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-3-CatBack-Exhaust-For-2010-2011-2012-Subaru-Legacy-GT-2-5L-Turbo-N-A-AT-MT/162269234029?fits=Year%3A2011%7CModel%3ALegacy&epid=1475767109&hash=item25c800036d:g:lMgAAOSwRQlXdWnT

If you get the Nameless, will you still need flanges welded in? If so, I would suggest just heading to an exhaust shop and asking them to weld you in bigger, better straight through mufflers.

If not, just order the Nameless, but know that there are quieter catback options such as Invidia Q300 and Avo.

Edit: Here's another option, you could go stage 2 for pretty cheap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-3-CatBack-Exhaust-For-2010-2011-2012-Subaru-Legacy-GT-2-5L-Turbo-N-A-AT-MT/162269234029?fits=Year%3A2011%7CModel%3ALegacy&epid=1475767109&hash=item25c800036d:g:lMgAAOSwRQlXdWnT

Sorry to come in and hijack, but...

That is cheaper than the Invidia J pipe alone! Does anyone have any experience with this set up? I was going to get the Invidia this weekend, but this looks awesome, maybe too good to be true...?

Someone on here got it, but I can't remember who it was. Yeah, for the price I think it's a great option. Even if it drones and you have to get a resonator welded in, it's still cheap.

I believe the OBX is a copy of the AVO exhaust (which is supposedly quiet from the video I have seen). I am not sure how it sounds though. The price is pretty cheap, it almost looks like someone is liquidating their supply of 5th Gen performance parts.

The picture of the ebay add shows a catalytic converter, though the add says catback. Either way that is cheap for a nearly full length CBE or TBE.

It also probably has a decent chance of being reasonable quiet since it has 2 resonators in the exhaust.

Thanks for the heads up fellas!

Looks like I will be ordering the OBX system tonight to install when I replace my center diff in a couple weekends.

Sorry to derail your thread slowmo.

I agree with the others, go to a muffler shop and have them weld in a resonator to get rid of the hum. I imagine that would be your cheapest option.

I bought this exhaust right before I got married.... (one of the many toys I decided to pull the trigger on -- haha). And, have yet to install any piece of it.

Despite the exterior dimensions of the J-pipe being similar if not identical to my AVO J-pipe, the OBX J-pipe does not have a catalytic converter (despite have the bulge for one).

If you have any questions or want any pictures of various pieces of the exhaust, I can likely make it happen this weekend.

FWIW, I intend to install all of it but the J-pipe (keeping my AVO J-pipe) in my free time (which I haven't had much of for the past couple years and the kiddo further compounds). Likely, this summer.

I find it funny Flowmaster makes solution for resonate frequencies, because the original Flowmasters droned like a SOB on 5.0.

Mine as well and when I put them on the 460 in my truck they were loud and raspy nasty even with cats. I hated them. Dynomax Ultra flows were way quieter.

I bought this exhaust right before I got married.... (one of the many toys I decided to pull the trigger on -- haha). And, have yet to install any piece of it.

Despite the exterior dimensions of the J-pipe being similar if not identical to my AVO J-pipe, the OBX J-pipe does not have a catalytic converter (despite have the bulge for one).

If you have any questions or want any pictures of various pieces of the exhaust, I can likely make it happen this weekend.

FWIW, I intend to install all of it but the J-pipe (keeping my AVO J-pipe) in my free time (which I haven't had much of for the past couple years and the kiddo further compounds). Likely, this summer.

Damn, too good to be true...:)

Thanks for chiming in mcg, you saved me some surprise!

Anyone know of a full cat back system that is a decent price?

The magnaflow "cat-back" system is actually midpipe-back, but it can be had around the web in the mid-$700's.

As for quietness: not really, but could be worse. I'm still deliberating on adding a resonator.

Archived