LegacyGT.com

VF48 on a 2008 LGT - FMIC a must?

The engine in my 2008 has been rebuilt however I am now looking to replace the Chinese VF45 that was installed prior to my purchase before I drive merrily into the sunset.

There is VF48 for sale near me but I'm reading some information regarding that particular turbo in a Legacy GT and the requirement to go with an FMIC...?

Can someone here confirm this?

I'm a big fan of PnP so FMIC is not desirable.

I'm sure the Grimmspeed tmic can handle your needs. Contact one of the Tuners like www.tuningalliance.com and see what Mike recommends. You'll also want a tune from him...he is that great of a Tuner.

See what he'll give you for pricing on the package.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'll give them a shout but I'd like to work around potentially dropping (what sounds like) $1500 or more. We'll see what TA says though.

Who is the member that services or rebuilds turbos?

TA can do that too. Mike is pretty handy. (one stop shopping)

JMP6889928 is the other member we recommend.

Let either one of them know I sent you.

I'm about to order an exhaust from TA so I know what you mean about $$$'s. LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Pretty sure the simple answer is TMIC not actually required - but I thought the 48 was a STI Turbo - which means it's not clocked the correct way to fit as drop in....

The idea means adjusted piping required and the simplest method to get there is the Grimspeed TMIC - which as noted can easily adapt to STI or LGT(new WRX) - although it's pricey solution - it certainly helps to cool charge temps, produce a few extra HP and looks nice too!!

What would be the general advice or opinions, if any, on a VF52 install? The car is otherwise completely stock.

Will this just be a reflash in order to get off of the (lean) OEM map?

In the longer term I will be slowly adding power enhancers and will obviously go with a proper dyno tune once I have the parts I desire. For right now, though, I have a 0-mile engine that needs a turbo and some miles to break-in.

Consider the performance direction of this vehicle to be along the lines of "dad's fun commuter car".

The vf52 is a perfect choice for these cars.

You will need a tune and need to cut the heat shield a bit for the WG arm.

A 3" catted down pipe would be perfect for the set up. If you have 05-06 you'll want a catless up pipe.

Here's mine bolted to the up pipe.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4782.jpg

It's on stock fueling, has over 100,000 miles on it now ans has zero shaft play.

Archived