LegacyGT.com

New cluster, CEL gone, ABS light on?

1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT

EJ25D was replaced about 500 miles ago with a used one with only 82k miles on it. Head gaskets, timing belt, etc all done at time of replacement(I have paperwork for it).

I've only driven it about 250-300 miles. The CEL came on a while ago and it was throwing a 420, indicating catalytic converter, O2 sensor, blah blah. After some research I decided to wait until it warmed up to really worry about it, I plan on replacing the exhaust anyway.

Well, last week I got fed up with the white gauge faces that someone had stuck in it. I removed the cluster and tried to remove it. That was a cluster-f*ck(pun intended). Tach stopped working correctly, and when I pulled it again to fix that, I ended up breaking the damn needle...So, I bought a used cluster all pretty and shiny off ebay for $29 bucks. CEL was on up until the day before I swapped the cluster for sure.

I swapped the cluster Tuesday night. No CEL. This wasn't surprising, it comes and goes. What was weird is the ABS light was on and it never had been before.

Fast forward two days and a LOT of driving, still no CEL and the ABS light is still on...

Could there be something wrong with the cluster? Or maybe it's got a bad connection?

Archived