LegacyGT.com

Reset 5EAT computer?

starionesir

I'm guessing you remove the negitive battery cable for about 15-20 minutes.

That should do it.

You should clean the cables and then grease them after you put them back on to keep moisture out. Grease all around them, top, bottom, sides.

How old is the battery ? They last about 6 years give or take a year.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You can do it with a vagcom cable (or tactrix) and FreeSSM software (google it).

If you don't have a windows laptop / vagcom cable you will need the dealer to do it for you.

Uh, didn't know that, so pulling the battery cable won't do it for the TCU ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I was hopeing I could maybe do it with my matco scantool. I know when I worked for mitsubishi there was somethings only the dealer scantools could access. I don't have a vagcom cable but will have to look into it and see what I can find. I appreciate the info.

• 2 weeks later...
I got the VB installed then drove it to the dealership and have them reset my TCU. The tech pushed a cart out to my car, plugged it in and did a reset. They he said...have a good day. no fee. Guess I found him on a good day.

Correct.

Excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject, but then why does my trans shift like garbage for first 100 miles or so after the battery is disconnected? I always figured it was relearning it's shift points based on driving :confused:

I just had it off Thursday, shift like poo on start of drive CT to Boston, but by time I got there it was back to normal, drove up to Maine and all the way back fine. Tonight, disconnect battery again, again shifting is all out of whack.

Shifting does seem to be out of whack after a battery reset, but I don't believe it's a full TCU reset. ClimberD probably knows better than any of us....

It's not a full reset. I don't know why it acts weird after an ECU reset.

Only way to do a full TCU reset is to interface with the TCU.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 2 weeks later...
Excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject, but then why does my trans shift like garbage for first 100 miles or so after the battery is disconnected? I always figured it was relearning it's shift points based on driving :confused:

I just had it off Thursday, shift like poo on start of drive CT to Boston, but by time I got there it was back to normal, drove up to Maine and all the way back fine. Tonight, disconnect battery again, again shifting is all out of whack.

It took few hundred miles, very annoying and I could smell it burning :eek::spin:

but now its back to normal.. weird.

It's not a full reset. I don't know why it acts weird after an ECU reset.

Only way to do a full TCU reset is to interface with the TCU.

This is absolutely correct and is supported by the literature on repair procedures. It indicates one should disconnect the battery, do the work, reconnect the battery and then reset the TCU memory that remembers shifting behavior.

If the battery disconnect took care of that, the reset would not be necessary.

The memory modules that remember the learned shifting behavior is akin to flash memory. They do not lose their data upon losing power.

The same applies to the memory that has the base tune. Unfortunately we don't have access to reprogram it.

You can do it with a vagcom cable (or tactrix) and FreeSSM software (google it).

If you don't have a windows laptop / vagcom cable you will need the dealer to do it for you.

Is there any option if I have a Tactrix 2.0 cable? The vagcom cable is cheap enough, but if I don't have to buy one, then all the better.

Edit: Never mind. Found ClimberD's SSM thread.

Archived