LegacyGT.com

30k Maintenance/Coolant Specific Question

I just hit 30k on my 08 LGT and recently had my coolant flushed, replaced etc. Unfortunately i forgot to have my mechanic add the coolant additive. Is this something that I can add myself into the refill tank? Or did I screw up big time and have to have it re-done? Any help would be appreciated.

You can add it yourself but don't add it to the overflow tank. I suspect it would just become a goopy mess in there.

If it were me, I'd siphon coolant out of the radiator, mix the additive well with what you siphoned out, the pour it back in. Or, you could skip the additive altogether like Subaru did when they drained my coolant at 30K. They did use it however at 60K.

Never used the stuff.

I replaced the coolant in my 05 when I did the timing belt at 95,000 miles. I just topped it off with Prestone that I mixed 50/50.

I'm not a big believer in the OEM additives.

When I put the new short block in the car, I used some Peak and the rest of the Prestone I had left over and topped it off with some new Peak Global premix. I don't plan to replace it until I do the timing belt at 105,000 miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated
The "additive," from what I hear, is just some stop-leak stuff that Subaru is recommending to prevent a repeat of their past headgasket issues. People more knowledgeable than me have said that it isn't necessary.

Don't put stop leak gunk/goo in or in a few years your car will be in the junk yard for me to take apart

Only for 2000-2004 Subaru, not 2008 or any years after 04

Leave it alone, stay problem free

Don't put stop leak gunk/goo in or in a few years your car will be in the junk yard for me to take apart

Only for 2000-2004 Subaru, not 2008 or any years after 04

Leave it alone, stay problem free

Meh, my dealer did it back in 2005(30k service) and 2007(60k) and guess what still on original radiator, water pump and coolant hoses at 132k.

Archived