LegacyGT.com

Oil and Oil Filters

So my car had a routine of 3,500 K OCI at the dealer by the previous owner up until i bought the car - so 4-5 dealer changes with OEM filters. After i received it, i thought i did the "right thing" by changing the oil 3,500 with Mobil 1 5W30 and a Mobil1 "Pro" Filter.

Mileage with OEM Filter + Subaru Oil: 14,000 mi

Mileage with Mobil1: 20,000 mi

Should i stick to this routine or switch to something better?

Filter:

- AmSoil 15k filter

- PurOne

Oil:

- "Made in Germany" Castrol Syntec 0w30

- Rotella T6 5W-40

Open to suggestions. I can also get the OEM subaru filter but its pretty inconvenient. I've heard things about Mitsubishi filters - if im going to buy them i could just order them online if its worth it.

I got lucky, previous owner gave me 6 OEM filters so I've been using those. As far as oil, I just did my first DIY oil change and used Rotela 5w-40. Seems a lot guys on here recommend that stuff. Also my oil changes have been done every 3000-3500miles. First two times I got them done at the dealer. Used 5w-30 but I switched to Rotella now that I'm going to be doing them.

if you do a search on Mobil 1 5w-30, you'll most likely positively oh most 100% certainly will find negative stories about them. That 5w-30 crap tends to shear to water thin. Don't believe me? head over to BITOG.com the oil gurus will tell you all you want to hear.

Most will recommend Shell Rotella T6 5w-40. It's good oil for a fraction of what you're paying for Mobil 1. Rotella goes well with Subaru engines.

Filter: OEM or Purolator PureOne

Oil: Shell Rotella T6 5w-40

I have no control over drippie.

Don't get us going. Search it's all on here.

Almost anything is better then Mobil1 5-30 except royal purple that don't seem to do well in these also.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm using Amsoil OE Synthetic Series 5w30 oil. $4.80/quart with Amsoil EA Filter.

I'm am Amsoil fan though, as are a few other guys.

I've heard nothing but good things about Rotella as well.

I have been searching. Should i drop in a can of 'motor flush' before switching to a new oil? I've read mixed reviews - Nasoic claims subaru's motorflush is snake oil but i dont mind using it if it has marginal effects. Thanks

I have been searching. Should i drop in a can of 'motor flush' before switching to a new oil? I've read mixed reviews - Nasoic claims subaru's motorflush is snake oil but i dont mind using it if it has marginal effects. Thanks

I've used it a number of times in my 2005 gt wagon.

Stay with the Mobil 1, and Subaru filters.

Which Mobil 1 ?

My 05 spent 152,000 miles on dino oil and Fram filters.

It really doesn't matter, what matters is, Change the oil and filter on a regular basis.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

says the person who doesn't read anything in this thread or forum, apparently.

That person isn't a member on this forum nor wants to b, so they no no anything nor no this til they car is in the junk yard

Doesn't matter if it's a Subaru forum, diesel, garden tractor, or anything else that uses oil. There will always be a mixed review. Oil is a very personal thing. I only use Amsoil products in everything that uses lubricants.
If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

Just search: Rao oil. That should be effective.

Rotella T6 5w40 and purolator pureone here.

I've been on this too for about 30K miles. My OCI is every 3500 miles...

I've been very happy and can do the change for ~$21!

:rolleyes::spin:;):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yea,,,,what's your point? :)

Oh btw I placed my next Amsoil order last night. It's time to change the oil in 3 cars. Both Legacy's will soon be on Amsoil 5w-40 European. I think I'm going to settle in on a 5000 mile OCI.

Yea,,,,what's your point? :)

Oh btw I placed my next Amsoil order last night. It's time to change the oil in 3 cars. Both Legacy's will soon be on Amsoil 5w-40 European. I think I'm going to settle in on a 5000 mile OCI.

You got my point ;), (Change the oil and filter on a regular basis) Is very subjective, because even I Change my oil and filters on a regular basis.:spin::spin::spin::spin::) For me that is.

I'm trying not to feed the trolls. :rolleyes::lol:

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

^^^ this is the guy with 10k OCIs right?

I believe Mike is using 17,000 miles for his OCI, but he also has 2 external filters and runs like 7Qt's.

Archived