LegacyGT.com

Recharging AC?

My AC wasn't blowing as cold as it should. So I bought a can of 134a with the gauge. According to the instructions the AC pressure should be 45-55. So I attached the gauge with the engine running any my pressure read about 40 psi.

I then attached the can of 134a and realized that I didn't shake it up. So I unscrewed it and the contents of the can shot all over the place. Don't do that. I went and bought another can.

I filled the system according to the directions and the gauge wouldn't go over 45 psi. I figured I would keep adding the contents of the can until the pressure went up. The pressure stayed the same as I added the rest of the can. The can started to feel empty so I turned the can upside down as the directions tell you to do. The compressor seized and the pressure shot up to above 100 psi and hot air blew out of the vents. I turned the car off.

Next I bled the valve with the engine off. I then started the car back up and the compressor seemed to be working fine. Now the AC pressure is about 30 psi, but seems to work just fine.

So I made a few mistakes. I trusted the crappy gauge to be accurate. I mistakenly overcharged the system. I bled the system with the engine off.

Have any of you charged your AC and how did you go about it?

I charged mine last year, found out I had a leaking o ring. Fixed that and a couple weeks later it started leaking out of the front of the compressor. No AC for me since, this Georgia wet heat is a bitch!

I followed the cans directions. Worked fine except my car wasn't having it.

• I Donated

I've found using gauges is not reliable. Your pressure readings will vary depending on the ambient temperature....and from car to car.

I just put in however much is called for on the car...but then again I do have access to an AC machine that will weigh the freon that you put in and stop once you get to 65kgs (or whatever the spec may be)

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived