LegacyGT.com

Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CryoTuning just did one recently and no known issues. Most likely due to the elevation of Colorado playing a factor.

I'm still waiting on Mr. Teasers objective analysis ;)

Yup, nice smooth boost control on that one as well. I truely feel its the exact same issue as the vf52 boost creep. Some do it and some dont, its the turbo causing the issues, not the downpipe.

The 09wrx+ crowd has fought this problem for years, some people are just fine at stage 2 catless and some cant even get away with a catted dp without tossing the stock catback back on to increase backpressure in the exhaust. Believe it or not i have had customers reinstall the stock intake and it helped with the boost creep due to pre turbo /post turbo restrictions.

Dave

Edited by cryo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Yup, nice smooth boost control on that one as well. I truely feel its the exact same issue as the vf52 boost creep. Some do it and some dont, its the turbo causing the issues, not the downpipe.

The 09wrx+ crowd has fought this problem for years, some people are just fine at stage 2 catless and some cant even get away with a catted dp without tossing the stock catback back on to increase backpressure in the exhaust. Believe it or not i have had customers reinstall the stock intake and it helped with the boost creep due to pre turbo /post turbo restrictions.

Dave

Good analysis. Appreciate your insight on the issue. I think the crowd here was about half on the new design and half of the turbo design causing the issue.

What I think everybody was in agreement with though was they purchased this model off of their claims of no boost creep with this down pipe. Then the rest is history for anyone who wants to page back.

So cryo, with your history and recent experience with our situation what would you suggest if your customer had started over boosting?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Alright!

Well here is what we have found out.

Ryans Original setup with the Old DP and our full catback on a stock BPV had no overboost issues. Target boost was around 17-18 which is basically all the stock BPV will want to hold.

Since then Ryan added a new BPV which is ours.

We then re testing the Old DP and our full catback with the new BPV. It over shot the target boost we originally had on the tune that was done on the car with the stock BPV. Aaron the tuner from English racing said that was due to the stock valve leaking and our new valve doesn't leak so it will hold more boost. It hit 20.74 PSI

We didn't change a thing in the tune just rolled it right off the dyno and into the shop to swap the old DP to the new DP. Install was a breeze and took them about an hour and a half. There were no install issues and no flapper issue.

Got the car back on the dyno and did a pull. So the new DP and our full catback with our BPV. Did almost exactly the same as it did with the old DP.

The new DP had a slightly better spool up time and made more power and TQ across the entire board. Since the car seemed to really want to be in the 20's for boost we changed target boost to 20PSI instead of the 17-18 it orginally had and the car made 299.81AWHP and 352.72TQ aka rocket ship. Aaron did some more massaging in the tune and got the car up to 300.69AWHP and 365.19FTlbs TQ

After talking with Aaron about everything he said that having an after market BPV on the car you wont be able to get lower boost numbers. Having a valve that will hold the boost will net you 20+PSI. If you wanted say lower boost like 16-19PSI you would need to keep your stock valve.

We also talked about how having an after market valve then porting the housing some since the stock port for the waste gate cant flow enough to keep up you could essential keep the aftermarket valve and still hit a lower boost target with porting.

In conclusion both the old DP and the new DP behave almost exactly the same except the new DP overall has better performance netting you in more power and a quicker spool time.

Attached is the dyno/boost graph. In RED is the Old DP with our valve. In Blue is the New DP and our valve.

http://i64.tinypic.com/15d8cyc.jpg

Nameless Performance, Inc.

1061 Dale St Woodland, WA 98674

(360) 263-5001

http://www.namelessperformance.com

Alright!

Well here is what we have found out.

After talking with Aaron about everything he said that having an after market BPV on the car you wont be able to get lower boost numbers. Having a valve that will hold the boost will net you 20+PSI. If you wanted say lower boost like 16-19PSI you would need to keep your stock valve.

We also talked about how having an after market valve then porting the housing some since the stock port for the waste gate cant flow enough to keep up you could essential keep the aftermarket valve and still hit a lower boost target with porting.

In conclusion both the old DP and the new DP behave almost exactly the same except the new DP overall has better performance netting you in more power and a quicker spool time.

Attached is the dyno/boost graph. In RED is the Old DP with our valve. In Blue is the New DP and our valve.

http://i64.tinypic.com/15d8cyc.jpg

Also, I know there was plenty time and tension all around but thanks for meeting us in some form to help clear up the issue.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My tune puts me at 20.5 ish psi been running it since September. No issues so far. But I'm not terribly hard on my car either. Oh and I'm on the stock bpv. And I have 93 octane...your tune might have to be dialed back for the lower octane.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

At what psi do the heads start to lift?

Depends on who you talk to or want to believe, lol. I don't think there is a set limit it is probably going to vary same as anything else that is mass produced.

Do we have an explicit example of a stock car, including BPV, overboosting on a Nameless downpipe?

Didn't Nameless just say it overshot target boost on stock bpv with the original design and with the nameless bpv?

Reading comprehension fail on my part. Only evidence of overboosting with nameless bpv and the exhaust

Edited by Shadow_419

Didn't Nameless just say it overshot target boost on stock bpv with the original design and with the nameless bpv?

No. Ryan's car has an aftermarket BPV designed for the 2015 WRX from Nameless. Ryan's car was originally tuned for stage 2 with the OEM BPV.

I'm about to be in the same boat as Ryan is now. I'm considering seeing if English can port the turbo. We haven't discussed that.

So then is anyone from nameless going to address the elephant in the room in that these pipes were sold on the false promise of curing any and all over boost issues? Which we have all known for some time but has now been "officially" proven.

I don't recall any such promise to "cure any and all overboost"...the problem as described doesn't lie with the GB part or the original design it lies with the crappy mass produced turbine housing and woefully small waste gate port.

Now to that, end if anyone, especially Starks since he is so close, wants me to start the communal housing swap for porting I will gladly pass the part along, I just need some time to get it off.

Fwiw my car is pretty close to stock I have the stock charge pipe and bpv as well as the stock mid pipe and exhaust. Stock tmic as well. My boost is pretty well controlled from what I recall during tuning.

Edited by FLlegacy