LegacyGT.com

Will Subaru Drop WRX/STI, Impreza, Legacy For All-SUV Lineup Like Ford?

Denis from Torque News doesn't think Subaru will follow Ford's example of axing passenger cars, but still raises the question and has this interesting analysis if Subaru my drop WRX/STI, Impreza, Legacy For All-SUV lineup like Ford.

What do you personally think? Will Subaru axe some of the cars from its lineup to be more efficient? If yes, which of them?

People forget SUV doesn’t make the Subaru brand, they will never axe the sti/wrx and the legacy, they sell all too well. With that said I am not sure about the Imprezas future, it seems that the crosstrek has been taking away from the Impreza, it pretty much everything it does and then some more.

While the ascent looks promising, I promise you they will never outsell an Outback/Legacy/wrx/crosstrek.

People forget SUV doesn’t make the Subaru brand, they will never axe the sti/wrx and the legacy, they sell all too well. With that said I am not sure about the Imprezas future, it seems that the crosstrek has been taking away from the Impreza, it pretty much everything it does and then some more.

While the ascent looks promising, I promise you they will never outsell an Outback/Legacy/wrx/crosstrek.

I not so sure about that. I think the Legacy is endanger of getting the ax to free up more production for Outback, Impreza and Ascent at SIA. I think Impreza will be stick around as the entry level Subaru.

According to April's sales data, Subaru's 3 SUVs: Outback, Forester and Crosstrek are the three biggest sellers. Legacy is the 3rd worst seller behind the Brz, and the WRX/STI. Subaru is projecting to sell 50k Ascents this year alone which could potentially outsell Legacy, and Brz combined. [but NOT WITH the WRX/STI combined as originally implied.]

I did look at what the Subaru Outback ends up in ground clearance - 8.7 inches. My first car was a Volvo 122 wagon with 8.75 inches in ground clearance. The Legacy has 5.9 inches.

It seems to me that what has happened is essentially that passenger cars has became too low and basically aren't really usable outside ideal road conditions so that in order to get a useful car people transfer over to SUV models that have a more useful configuration.

Then the Escalade and Suburban models have a lower ground clearance than the Outback. So they may look competent - until you go off the road.

453747.png

So Ford didn't abandon all passenger cars - they are keeping the mustang and one of the Focus or Fiesta models (I forget which one). Also - I think this is just a USDM move, so still selling other models elsewhere.

Subaru is projecting to sell 50k Ascents this year alone which could potentially outsell Legacy, Brz and WRX/STI combined.

Might want to double check your math...

As boring as they've become it couldnt hurt, but no they will need a somewhat cheaper offering in the lineup, not that the most basic Subaru is cheap (base stripped down Impreza).

An all SUV lineup in a once again bland SUV market may not be the best long term bet. Stranger things have happened however.

Subaru is not getting rid of their cars

current sales data

https://www.theautochannel.com/news/2018/04/04/538309-subaru-america-march-2018-us-sales-results.html

So Ford didn't abandon all passenger cars - they are keeping the mustang and one of the Focus or Fiesta models (I forget which one). Also - I think this is just a USDM move, so still selling other models elsewhere.

Might want to double check your math...

Mustang is not a practical car for anyone who has family... and the focus that remains is not a car it is a cross over

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/05/subaru-says-traditional-cars-sedans-still-relevant/

"Sales of Subaru’s car models have been falling throughout the U.S. this year. In fact, the WRX and WRX STI are down 8.2 per cent, the BRZ has dropped by 10.1 per cent, the Impreza is down 16.3 per cent and the Legacy has dropped 13.9 per cent. At the same time, sales of the Crosstrek are up a remarkable 66.6 per cent this year."

One way to become both boring and IRrelevant at the same time.

Hats off Infante.

In typical risk-averse Nihon-jin fashion, Subaru is behind the times and missed the boat. They will once again play catch up in the 2020s as they seek to 'reinvent' themselves and please the gen-z picky ADD plagued consumer.

I bet part of the otherwise mind boggling global fascination with SUVs/CUVs/whateverUVs has as much to do with practical utility and hauling useless accessories and anything that can be referres to as 'stuff', as the abismal infrastructure state and street parking skills of most drivers.

Roads across North America, Europe and Asia (not to mention Africa) are ill maintained, pitted with potholes, piss poor patch jobs, etc.

A raised suspension with plenty of travel, cushion soft setup and high profile (tall sidewall) tires does wonders for the mess out there.

On the parking front, bigger seems to be better. Brute force your way into a spot, mandrel bent protective tubing and tow hooks work the best as bumper protectors. Who cares about others so long as my bumpers are protected, right?

Are we completely missing the fact most small SUVs are catching or matching fuel economy on similar sized cars. It is no wonder the Crosstek is doing so well. All the pluses and none of the minuses unlike before.

I bet part of the otherwise mind boggling global fascination with SUVs/CUVs/whateverUVs has as much to do with practical utility and hauling useless accessories and anything that can be referres to as 'stuff', as the abismal infrastructure state and street parking skills of most drivers.

Well then people are morons. You can fit more in the trunk of a car than you can an SUV. We've tried it. Had a Forester for an overnight test drive, no way to fit as much stuff in it as the Legacy.

The only exception would be a large box that is too tall to fit in a truck- how often does that happen.

Are we completely missing the fact most small SUVs are catching or matching fuel economy on similar sized cars. It is no wonder the Crosstek is doing so well. All the pluses and none of the minuses unlike before.
Not sure if missing, more of a dismissing. The XV styling for gen 2 has turned for the worse (especially headlights and tailights). It would be a great metropolis mobile if only it was offered with an FA16DIT and HTCVT or FA20DIT. As is, the power to weight ratio is just not cutting it especially with S-AWD and CVT bell housing weighing it down.

Well then people are morons. You can fit more in the trunk of a car than you can an SUV. We've tried it. Had a Forester for an overnight test drive, no way to fit as much stuff in it as the Legacy.

The only exception would be a large box that is too tall to fit in a truck- how often does that happen.

Indeed. A dumb consumer is the perfect consumer. Sheet metal, plastic and old-tech engines continue to sell so long as creature comforts, gadgets and gizmos are kept somewhat up to date to razzle dazzle and entice 'upgrades' lol. How many and how often actually consistently tow with their Subarus or go off-roading where an approach angle actually matters? And yet those are important considerations somehow.

Which is why I selected the Outback instead.

453747.png

Mustang is not a practical car for anyone who has family... and the focus that remains is not a car it is a cross over

The Mustang isn't that bad - it does have back seats - might be awkward getting a child carrier back there, but regular little people fit just fine.

Ford is setting themselves up to get hammered in the US if fuel prices spike up again (or worse - go up and stay up)

Ford(in US) makes a lot of their money from fleet sales. Subaru has no such foothold here...and if you notice a lot of other mfgs are starting to encroach on Subaru's niche(which is smaller AWD vehicles)...which is funny because I just realized there is currently only AWD cars at our house; Audi Quattro, Mercedes 4Matic, and my Subaru (LGT).

Then you look at the price tag of the vehicles and realize that when it comes to affordable AWD Subaru is still good.

For less than $10k you can probably get the cheapest 4x4 that's still competent - the Lada Niva.

A Subaru Outback goes here for $38k while the Volvo XC60 goes here for about $42k and the Audi A4 Allroad goes here for $46k.

It's all where the break-even is for most people, get the comfort level, fuel consumption and functionality you expect at a price tag that suits you best. If money wasn't a concern then maybe the Marauder at $120k would be the thing.

453747.png

Archived