LegacyGT.com

Rusty fuel components (pics): What part and may this hole be deeper than anticipated?

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon, 5EAT with 117k miles.

I have been within the vehicle and have smelt fuel fumes inside, especially during/near a full tank.

I pulled the sending unit door off under the back seat, and here is what I found... (I am inserting pictures of the underside in front of the passenger tire & the top of the fuel tank)

PICTURES FROM ABOVE FUEL TANK:

Photo_1_above_tank.jpg

Photo_2_above_tank.jpg

Photo_3_above_tank.jpg

PICTURES FROM BELOW VEHICLE IN FRONT OF PASSENGER REAR TIRE:

Photo_1_below_car.jpg

Photo_2_below_car.jpg

The sending unit (purely plastic component) is dry, however, the metal surround/component that holds the sending unit to the tank is rusted and has wet/fuel residue. Not a horrible lot, but a good bit - must be resolved.

1) The whole tank is a plastic material correct? Therefore, the culprit is this cover that bolts down? OR, is it the actual sending unit that needs to be replaced?

2) The underside of the vehicle is WET right near the brake line junction (recall has been done) but does not stink of fuel. Is it more probable that this leaking sending unit area is dribbling down, or is the fuel filler neck a more likely culprit?

3) I have a 2005 Outback 2.5i 5MT sitting... Can I use this sending unit/fuel pump and the other components/gaskets?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well poo... I have not uploaded a video via another source in probably 3 or 4 years... Not sure which route to go this time - added via alternate source.

Not sure if all these components are same between wagon and sedan Legacy GT.

Then, also not sure if 2.5i 5mt outback sending unit and parts same within physical parameters.

Quite a few people have experienced a similar problem. It turns out the plastic housing developed cracks around the flange where it's mounted to the tank. Fuel would leak out more noticeably when the tank was over one-half full.

This is not certain, but most of those cars seemed to be from Northern states or colder climates.

The fix in those cases was a new fuel pump assembly.

Sending Unit Gasket... Ebay title states this is the gasket, but under what vehicles it fits, 2005 legacy nor legacy GT exists....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Fuel-Sender-Seal-fits-1990-2008-Subaru-Forester-Impreza-Legacy-Outback-/142502989644?hash=item212dd70f4c:g:YtMAAOSwvYZZpZJy&vxp=mtr

Part # W0133-1935182

Sender Seal...

From Subaru Parts online...

http://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2005_Legacy-GT-Wagon-25L-TURBO-5AT-4WD/PUMP-ASSEMBLY-FUEL/49248766/42021AG04A.html

42021: ($380) Fuel Pump - Assembly

42022 costs the same as 42021, but comes without a float???

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2005_Legacy-GT-Wagon-25L-TURBO-5AT-4WD/_54102_6025645/FUEL-TANK-FUEL-TANK/B13-421-02.html

42025G: ($11) Gasket

42057C: ($34) Top plate cover

N370032: ($1.50) times atleast 8

In total... (380+11+34+(8*1.50))*1.08 = $471.96 before shipping, I guess my worry is the fact that how wet the bottom of the vehicle is (but does not smell horrendous), it seems it may be the filler neck as well or maybe fuel lines running along the tank.

You may want to remove the fuel pump assembly just to verify it is cracking.

for 2.5 turbo = p/n 42021AG04A

for 2.5i = p/n 42021AG03A; 42021AG06A; 42021AG11A; 42021AG12A

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_25/intake_and_supply_system_turbocharger/fuel_tank/illustration_2/

So, seems to be different part number for turbo models.

Best price I found online for p/n 42021AG04A was $312.

I guess the other irony is that my '05 2.5i 5mt had the lines under the intake leak in winter, I had to pull the intake twice to resolve it with longer lines w/ other hose clamps.

I need to pull the rear seat right after I fill the tank, maybe this will directly show a leak on the sending unit top.

I guess the other irony is that my '05 2.5i 5mt had the lines under the intake leak in winter, I had to pull the intake twice to resolve it with longer lines w/ other hose clamps.

I need to pull the rear seat right after I fill the tank, maybe this will directly show a leak on the sending unit top.

It's better not to fill the tank until this is fixed, if you remove the fuel pump assembly, you want less than one-half tank, the more empty it is, the better really.

That price jump is rather surprising between the two gaskets.

Unfortunately anything further is pure speculation with no evidence here but...

It worries me that the underside of the vehicle is so wet near the brake line junction in front of the rear tire/pass. side, but the side of the tank (when looking at an angle) does not seem to have fuel carrying down from the top of the tank to go down to that location. This makes me feel that it may not just be the sending unit/gasket.

I would be glad if it were only the fuel filler neck as that seems relatively simple (so others say) in comparison to dropping the tank to fix some of the lines in front of the tank that run down and then parallel to the brake lines...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/leaking-fuel-tank-264842.html

You need to have the bottom of the tank looked at. You could have the same rusty nipple my car had.

How recently did you buy the car...can you take it back ? Not a cheap easy repair.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Bought it from a individual, will not be able to take it back. I am assuming he knew (tank only had like 1/10th full of fuel when I test drove it) but nothing I can do, welcome to NY....

I am curious to see an actual picture of said nipple on the bottom of the tank. Is it inside the tank cover? What is this line to? I cannot find a way to purchase a new/used tank anywhere reputable..

Had to fill the tank and had the seat out, so I watched as I filled and saw no spurting. However, the area of seepage increased dramatically as did the smell... For poops and giggles, I purchased the fuel pump, gasket, top mount, and nuts. I worry some of the studs will be too rusty and may snap, uh oh...

Will make a point to take some pics and post after I receive them next week and install them probably that weekend.

Max capacity, I also saw you commenting in the thread about the brake line recall.

If mine was covered in wax and not seen as leaking during time of recall (done in 2014) but is leaking now, I assume they would not cover or touch it correct?

On 6/10/14 vehicle had... service campaign: WQK47, (NHTSA campaign 14V311000) done

...I worry some of the studs will be too rusty and may snap, uh oh...
Try a generous application of good penetrating oil the night before. Kano Kroil works great, seems to dissolve rust. PB Blaster is OK, but not as good.

Good penetrating oil is a huge help if you maintain one of these cars.

Took a look at my brake Line junction, and the surrounding area all looks damp, but looks like it has been replaced. However, it has no coating on it. Just simply coated steel. There is a point where the coating look a to have been rubbed off which has some surface rust but not horrible...

However, if I depress the brake peddle hard, it slowly compresses to the floor... fluid isn't low.. will need to have someone jump up and down in the brakes whilst I check.

Pics to come if I finally get time... just installed a jazzy aux in pro kit..

The nipple that rusted on my tank is on the back side to the right of where the fill pipe goes in.

I could see the dampness by looking up from the bottom, when I opened that inspection flap.

My brake line junction box was clearly coated. If you have doubt's about the recall, call the dealer service dept. and give them your VIN, they will check.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived