LegacyGT.com

Adding Satellite Antenna to Stock Stereo?

Hello!

I just bought a 2008 GT. The stereo seems to have an input option for satellite radio, but I don't have the antenna on the windshield, so I assume it was an option not purchased.

Has anyone had any success attaching an aftermarket satellite antenna to the stock stereo, so that I can use all the stock buttons?

Alternatively, is there a resource where I can find the part # of the OEM antenna, or a site where I can purchase one?

TIY!

Jay

do you have an AUX port in your center console?

I do, but I'd prefer to work it through the stereo, so I don't have to grab my phone if I want to change stations. Also, I think the subscription is cheaper if I limit it to cars, so I don't mind spending upfront on an antenna to drop the price ongoing.

https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/doc/accInstallGuide/057957-H621SXA100190303.pdf

The document above lists the part number for the kit as "H621SXA100", but some websites say superseded by "H621SXA101".

Thank you for that! It looks like I can get the superseded one for a couple hundred bucks, which I think I'm willing to do for the full functionality.

However, I've never seen what the antenna actually looks like in the windshield. Is it obstructive? Does anyone happen to have a pic of it installed?

I bought the oem satellite radio kit back in 2011 and installed it in my 09 Works great. Took. A couple hours to install.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Not the best pictures, but I'll throw them out there anyway.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4341034&postcount=6

Also a picture from inside a tribeca in this link, #7 down on the right side. Install instructions say it's the same kit, same antenna.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tribeca/tribeca2007photos.html

I now remember the instructions for the kit had directions for the Tribeca too.

It was pretty easy to install, just plug and play mostly.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

From the comments here, I've come to the conclusion that:

1) The OEM antenna is the best option for using the stock functionality

2) It's an install that I'm likely capable of doing on my own.

Thanks everyone for the input, I'll let you know how it goes!

Jay

You can find the XM receiver module for fairly cheap on ebay. I got one for $20. You will also need the mounting brackets which are also available on ebay. I did not get the OEM window mount antenna. I bought one that needs to be mounted on a flat surface pointing up. I have not installed it yet. Likely I will put the antenna on the dash at the far right or left.

I forgot to mention yesterday that if you go the ebay route you will also need the wiring harness that goes between the XM receiver and the head unit. I have a Grom BT3 bluetooth unit and it came setup with a Y cable to connect the head unit, bluetooth module, and optionally the XM receiver unit.