LegacyGT.com

Intermitent Key Fob. Anyone experience this?

RESOLVED: It was the key fob. Details on post #18

Primary key used to work anytime all the time.

Some time ago it started to work intermitently. It would work or take a few presses to work, totally at random and anywhere I tried it.

I switched to my spare that I put a new battery in when I repaired it. Was still intermitent. I chalked it up to problems with my repair and ordered some batteries for my primary key fob.

Just put in new batteries in my primary and tried it. Still intermitent. :spin:

It looks like something other than my key fobs. Anyone experience this?

Battery age doesn't indicate good health, I would eliminate it as a possibility instead of dismissing it outright.

uh, it is -27F outside and the car starts immediately on first try, not a battery issue. Using a multi-meter and testing the fob battery shows slightly over 3V, again not a battery issue.

in my case, issue lies elsewhere

I really dont think my batteries are an issue, the fobs have new ones and the car battery is relatively new but I will get it load tested anyway.

I did see a few references to bad grounds on other model Subarus causing an issue?

Any way to check the BIU or keyless module?

I will check the FSM tonight but I believe eliminating all other possibilities is the only reliable way. You may want to locate the antenna and be sure nothing is going on there. I believe it is located behind the trim of the A-pillar but I am not 100%.

I will check the FSM tonight but I believe eliminating all other possibilities is the only reliable way. You may want to locate the antenna and be sure nothing is going on there. I believe it is located behind the trim of the A-pillar but I am not 100%.

Thank you, I would appreciate any leads you happen to see!

Ok, so the antenna is under the rear shelf. Thanks to Gteaser for posting about the location. It came up in a post of his about TPMS, which this antenna serves double purpose for.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4802159&postcount=11

Or it could be under the rear seat in some models.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4640818&postcount=24

EDIT: Tried pointing the keyfob right at the parcel shelf. No effect.

I did peek inside while I was clicking awah at the fob and I did notice the key icon in the cluster was flashing.

I have a unique situation that I think is a result of interaction with my TapTurn flasher's approach lighting feature. If you press a button on the fob it keeps the parking lights on for a number of seconds. My issue is that you get one press (i.e. one unlock, lock, or trunk open), and you can't trigger anything else unless you're within 5 feet or wait for the lights to turn off.

Have anything like that installed? Maybe if you connected your display to the dimmer it could cause something?

Have you tried removing and reseating the connector to the keyless control module (under the rear shelf)? Have you verified the connections there are what they should be coming from the car? (pin 6 to ground should give battery voltage, pin 5 to ground should be less than an ohm) - wiggle the harness and see if either fluctuates, which would indicate a problem maybe with the connector or harness. Could be the module is bad, in which case try replacing it with a known good and see if it works properly. If the readings are off, then follow the wires back in the harness and look for damage. Definitely measure the battery voltage in the car and make sure it's good (rest voltage in the neighborhood of 12.6V or more)

For the tap turn issue, that's weird. I have one installed in my car, and can unlock the doors, then double press to unlock all the doors or press the trunk and unlock it - everything works fine. I do have approach/departure lighting on (it's a great solution to the inevitable "did I lock the car" question I give myself while walking away)

Coco, I did wire up the gauge to the dimmer line at the radio harness. Will be on the list of things to check out.

Dr, I havent dug in there yet. Just started checking on-line for info on the system like its components and how they tie in together.

I was looking for the location to see if things would improve if I got the keyfob as close as physically possible to it. There was no change, still very much hit and miss trying to get the fob to work.

It doesnt seem like a range thing if the fob is right beside the module and it still works just as intermitently.

• 1 month later...

Resolved! It was the fob!

Having just about run out of ideas, I passed by the dealership to see if they ever come across this problem.

SA mentioned that it was usually the battery and when they replace it they usually solder some connections back on.

He told me to go to the parts guys as they are so used to fixing these fobs that they have a soldering iron on the counter and fix fobs when a customer buys batteries from them lol!

I was kind of hesitant as I had replaced both fob's batteries and they worked after replacement but I didnt have anything better to try, so I let him have at it.

He opened up my fob and yeah, there were connections loose and he soldered them up.

We went to the lot and finally my fob works with every press! WOOHOO!!

Will be bringing my other fob and get him to fix that one too.

UPDATE: I went back to the dealer with my also-intermittent spare key. They opened it up and the terminal was loose. Soldered it in place and put it back together. It now also works pefectly. Very happy to finally get this resolved!

Archived