LegacyGT.com

Help me identify this piece...

goneskiian

Had some debris come out of the transmission today when the dealership changed my transmission fluid as part of my 90K service.

Can you help me identify it?

Also attached is a picture of the bag they sent the piece home with me in. The fluid looks really dark and dirty. Is this common for transmission fluid to look like this when it comes out?

Thanks!

1041096459_Library-8405.thumb.jpg.5709a05ef6dd4d03f40a532fa8112f9c.jpg

585667649_Library-8407.thumb.jpg.1330edb709b15e911c8afb5d6f61c238.jpg

1974604594_Library-8409.thumb.jpg.20d097f0384ecaf3ef249aea1e8f139e.jpg

Right in my profile it says it's an '05 wagon. Did you miss the part where I said it was for a 90K service? Wouldn't that mean it has about 90,000 miles? ;)

As for the rest, it's a manual transmission.

The dealership says it's a gear tooth. I did miss a gear change in recent memory. Would that be enough to knock a tooth off of a gear?

I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to need to have the transmission broken down to replace this gear as it's going to completely grenade next week or if it's OK to drive for a while.

Thanks.

What power at you putting down? Are you stock?

I would guess that the grind could have caused the damage, it would have to be pretty bad though. I would also guess its okay to drive assuming you did not notice any issues over the last week (since you grinded).

Like the other have said, it does look like a gear tooth. I would be surprised if a grind resulted in a broken gear tooth, since gear teeth are always meshed. It is the dog clutch mechanism that causes the grinding noise during a missed shift.

If the grind is bad enough that the dogs break off the gear and cause catastrophic failure, then maybe.

Not stock. Currently tuning a 16g on stock injectors. Power? I would guess high 200's at the wheels. No dyno numbers though.

Thanks for your input. I drove it home yesterday and it feels fine. That and I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary before the service. Except for the fact that I opted to NOT put the Extra-S in in case I had to have the transmission serviced again right away. I'm thinking I'll go have that put in now. Probably better for it in the long run anyway. ;)

• I Donated
Right in my profile it says it's an '05 wagon.

The skin I use on the forums (dark skin thats black and blue) doesn't show the line for what car people have. I think only the default white skin does.

Did you miss the part where I said it was for a 90K service? Wouldn't that mean it has about 90,000 miles? ;)

I've seen people come in for their "60k service" at well over 100k miles at work on multiple occasions. I know it sounds like a stupid question, but if you worked in the automotive field it wouldn't seem as stupid.

As for the rest, it's a manual transmission.

Its a piece of a syncro it sounds / looks like. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Keep an eye on the fluid for metal shavings...and make sure you run good fluid.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

The skin I use on the forums (dark skin thats black and blue) doesn't show the line for what car people have. I think only the default white skin does.

Gotcha.

I've seen people come in for their "60k service" at well over 100k miles at work on multiple occasions. I know it sounds like a stupid question, but if you worked in the automotive field it wouldn't seem as stupid.

I guess not! I had no idea folks did that kind of thing. I'm pretty meticulous about getting it serviced on time.

Its a piece of a syncro it sounds / looks like. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Keep an eye on the fluid for metal shavings...and make sure you run good fluid.

I hope you're right. I may run it down to my local shop for a closer up inspection and if they agree it's nothing to worry about I'll have them swap in the Extra S I have that I intended to put in there.

Thanks!

Got a second opinion. It's the same as the first. Gear tooth. Likely from 3rd or 4th. Also said the black goo looks normal for what comes off of the magnet.

What to do?

Second opinion suggested I drive it and have the tranny fluid changed in about 9 - 10 thousand miles to check for more debris.

It seems to drive fine. Of course it did before the change as well. :iam:

Thanks for the input.

Cheers!

Oh, that came off a magnet, that's different. :)

I'd do what they said I guess. My tranny's been whining for a good 5 months now but the fluid looks clean. Not taking it apart until I need to.

I do respect the opinions of a few members here and you're 2 of them Rick and dr_sharp. I will definitely consider getting it repaired.

I should confess that I would like an excuse to do a 6mt upgrade. :D;)

The hard part will be convincing the CFO (aka my lovely wife) that this is a good idea over getting something new. I know I'll regret getting rid of this car as there's just nothing else out there that moves my meter. Unless we're talking an E63 AMG wagon or a CTS-V wagon. :eek::lol:

:lol: CFO... I like that.

In my experience, it is almost always cheaper (dollar-only basis) to repair a car than to replace it. Once you start to factor in other considerations like hassle due to repair, extra cost of upgrade vs. a "strict" repair, and the advantages or extra features a new vehicle will offer, then the waters become murky.

It will be tough to make an informed and non-emotional decision without opening the trans and seeing what is going on inside. You may find that you can replace a single gear and keep driving on that trans for significantly less coin than you might expect.

In the interim I would definitely recommend driving with minimal shock to the transmission. Smooth shifting, smooth clutching, and minimal torque will help keep the risk as low as possible.

Archived