LegacyGT.com

Power steering pressure switch leaking/failing?

08 legacy 2.5i (sorry it's long just like to get all info in at once)

So depending on outside temp my car shakes and shutters like it wants to die at slow speeds like parking or stop lights and signs and it hesitates quite a bit even if I just kick it down and it has significant low end torque loss. there is definitely air in my power steering though everytime it's cold the whole reservoir fills with foam. All I've read is that those symptoms are the power steering pressure switch and if I look at the little wire attached to it is sorta wet looking. Now all that being said the last 2 days were pretty decent temp and I had zero issues.

So if it was the switch it would be all the time right?

Maybe the pump is just getting way over worked from all the air in the lines and straining the whole car?

Also has anyone replaced the molded hose that goes from the top of pump to the reservoir? Mine has a little leak and they want $100 for that hose. Can't seem to find it anywhere and idk if that universal stuff at the parts store would be okay to use.

It's abnormal for your car to stutter and want to die in those situations, unless you recently had the battery disconnected. I definitely don't think those symptoms are from the power steering switch. I've had to replace my power steering pump a few times, one time I completely forgot to connect the electrical wire going to the switch, and my car didn't do anything to let me know, I had to visually notice it a few days later.

Have you done the o-ring fix yet, where the plastic elbow on top connects to the pump?

full thread

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/power-steering-o-ring-fix-197481.html

good picture

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5091736&postcount=115

If so, I'd also consider the o-ring on the reservoir cap.

Where is the hose going from the reservoir to the pump leaking?

For the stuttering and such, I'd wonder about your spark plugs and wires to start I guess, age and what kind you're running.

Edited by apexi

Yeah Idk it's just what i read a few places and I really wouldn't care if you didn't have to buy a whole pump to get a new switch.

I have not done the o-ring yet I was kinda hoping to do that along with the hose which I can't say for sure it's actually leaking but its wet around the clamp to the reservoir.

Spark plugs I just did like 2 months ago with the NGK IX

Wires I just did a couple days ago when this started actually. It runs a little smoother after those but still does the stutter and shake at low speed turns when it's cold. Not sure I mentioned it before but all symptoms go away once the car is at temp for a little while

If the clamp near the reservoir is a little wet, I wonder if that's just from a little foam/fluid coming out by the cap, and going down to the hose.

Not sure about the cold vs warm symptoms. Maybe the belt is old or too loose, and when it's warm it gets more flexible and is able to grip the pulleys better? Shot in the dark, but who knows..

*I almost forgot, the o-ring on the top of the pump could be expanding when warm, and sealing properly then.

Edited by apexi

• 1 year later...

Make sure the banjo bolt on the high pressure side of PS pump is in alignment to flow with the high pressure line to the rack. This caused the symptoms of air in lines as well as pump seals to break. Simple thing to overlook by any tech, shop, or dealership.

If you flush the system properly and have no leaks but still have whine, trouble rotating the wheel, or any other symptom.. make sure the banjo bolt is torqued to allow flow of fluid to the rack.

hopefully this post will help someone.. couldn't find any info anywhere that includes this step to the replacement of a PS pump.