LegacyGT.com

DIY brake job

I am posting here to gain some more visibility. the original thread is here:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/brake-pad-needs-computer-resetii-278860.html?t=278860

Is it possible to do the rear brakes at home?

Yes it’s not as hard as you think..

Disconnect the plug on the rear of calipers,unbolt either top or bottom or both caliper bolt,remove pads...

Important: you can rent tool from local auto store,or just use long nose pliers

Turn the piston clockwise till it completely stops,then you can press piston back all the way,then install new pads and do the reverse,bolts and DONT FORGET TO PLUG THE PLUG BACK ON,when done pump brake pedal few times,turn key ignition to run or start car and cycle your e-brakes few times.then have some beers.

Thanks everybody.

Yes; not only is it possible, many have already done it. Step 1 if you're planning a DIY brake pad replacement is to invest $35 and download a legal copy of the FSM (and a whole lot more) from the Subaru Technical Information System web site. The proper no-scan-tool rear pad replacement procedure is described in detail in the FSM. Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Yes; not only is it possible, many have already done it. Step 1 if you're planning a DIY brake pad replacement is to invest $35 and download a legal copy of the FSM (and a whole lot more) from the Subaru Technical Information System web site. The proper no-scan-tool rear pad replacement procedure is described in detail in the FSM.

so can you share the advice? do I remove the motor? the answer before yours forgets to mention anything about the motor. I have been doing brakes without a proper manual until this hiccup.

I am posting here to gain some more visibility. the original thread is here:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/brake-pad-needs-computer-resetii-278860.html?t=278860

Is it possible to do the rear brakes at home?

Thanks everybody.

so can you share the advice? do I remove the motor? the answer before yours forgets to mention anything about the motor. I have been doing brakes without a proper manual until this hiccup.

You do not need to remove the motor,just make sure to unplug connector before and plug after.

so can you share the advice?

My advice is to follow the procedure described in the FSM, which does not involve monkeying with the EPB motor(s).

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The FSM has you removing the battery ground. I find that it's a lot easier to leave the battery alone and pull the cables to the parking brake. Either method ensures that the brake will not be applied during service.

informenter-marker-1.png

so if I do not remove the motor, how do I depress the piston? I do not have the FSM.

your help is really appreciated.

As I said above use long nose pliers or rent yourself a tool for brakes,

With pads removed use long nose plier to turn the piston clockwise till it STOPS!!DO NOT KEEP TURNING..then use c-clamp or whatever tool you have available that you can use to push the piston back all the way...

Remember to unplug the plug for the motor & don’t forget to plug it back when done!