LegacyGT.com

Don't neglect that PCV valve!

My 2011 Legacy developed a pretty big oil leak rather quickly over the course of a week and was leaking onto the exhaust and driveway. Took it in for service to discover the cam seal had blown probably due to a plugged PCV valve. I had never changed or inspected the valve as far as I remember. It's not something that you're reminded to do unless you have the dealer do all of the service interval work or diligently follow it yourself. 800 bucks later, I have the seal replaced, a new timing belt and tensioner (old belt was covered in oil) and the PCV valve. I was due for a belt change at 105k miles anyway, but that would have been awhile away if not for the sudden leak. PCV valve is a cheap part. Don't forget it's there.

From what I've seen its on the block under the throttle body area.

I am not sure about the 2.5i, but that is where is it on the GT's. I bought a new PCV for my GT, I haven't gotten around to install it yet. I kind of forgot about it.

Does anyone have a photo/drawing on the 2.5 PCV valve location and part#?

With 93,000 miles, I should probably replace this, and also clean my MAF while I'm at it.

Should be 11810AA131 or 11810AA130 (the former being the newer version)

top, back, passenger side of engine - follow the hose.

Capture.thumb.JPG.09755e44060124800566a6c37458593e.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
So tell me about that bottom clamp. How do I take it off? Do I need to put a new one on? Can I just use a hose clamp instead? I'm trying to replace mine right now. Didn't realize there was a fancy clamp there.

Pretty sure you just squeeze those two nubs together with a pliers to release the grip.

I seem to remember that being a pain- I just pulled and twisted to get the old one out, and reversed the process to get the new one back in. I think there's some kind of nubbin on that band clamp, but nothing I could get pliers on. That was a year or two ago, though, and I'm sure if I tried that now, the hose wouldn't survive the operation.

I usually just stick a flat head screwdriver in there, pry it apart and replace it with a worm style hose clamp. Stick the flat head in the section on the left and pull up the middle between the two raised parts... if that makes any sense at all...?

It started looking like the tree was tearing at the base so I gave up. Thinking I'm going to the dealer for this. I have a couple recalls for them to take care of anyway. Thanks for the tips! Hopefully the next person find them helpful.

• 5 weeks later...
For what it's worth for people who go to replace it in the future, on my 2.5i, I was able to pull it straight up and out without removing that weird clamp. Easiest thing i've done on my car, took less than 5 minutes start to finish. Replacing something so small and cheap can have huge benefits!

Archived