LegacyGT.com

Upgrading brakes 12 6mt

I am in dire need of changing gout my warped rotors. They been warped since I got the vehicle about 6-7 months ago.

Does anybody have any advice for a good performance upgrade?

I have been looking at the stop tech drilled, and ST drilled and slotted with some hawk composite pads. A range of price between $2-$400. All four corners. It is a daily driver and I don't track the car by any means, but I drive it spiritedly. Much appreciated.

Others with more expertise will hopefully come along with specific parts suggestions, but the general understanding is to get the proper brakes for your application, and to avoid drilled/slotted rotors.

Just as important if not more, is to know the condition of your brake fluid. If it has never been done before (5-6 years on the original fluid), it is a good idea to take care of that at this time as well.

The increased cost of drilled/slotted does not necessarily translate to better performance. Better pads may be beneficial to spirited driving, but at the end of the day, you'll do well knowing how much brake you need to consistently stop the car on your spirited driving route. OEM pads can lock up the wheels no problem, but they may or may not be up to the challenge depending on your route (think brake fade, limits to your brake fluid, etc.).

Lots of good threads on here. Try search terms like 'upgrade to lgt brakes'. For example, I believe you can piece together a LGT brake swap kit within that budget.

Finally, Don't forget the importance of tires. Good brakes without good tires will do you no good.

With your price range you may just need to hit the local autoparts store. I paid almost $200 for pads alone. Centric rotors are as close to stock as you can get, but you may be able to have the stock ones machined, which would be my first choice in your situation. The stock parts are pretty good metal yours probably just need to be turned.

Pads aren't super critical, but as mentioned above you can get more from a good pad than you will from a cheap drilled/slotted rotor.

All that being said. I'm not going to go too far out what I need for my daily driver. But I do have a question about a good brake fluid. I couldn't tell you how long the fluid in the lines has been in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use Motul brake fluid.

I came to that same conclusion. Thanks for your help guys. I'm checking to see if my rotors can be machined for now to get a little more life out of them cause they haven't hit the metal warning clip yet. Anyway I'll let you guys know how it goes, since y'all are on the edge of your seat.

Archived