LegacyGT.com

hard time reading my diptick, any tips?

did you do a leak-down test?

yes they were all around 139 but cyl 4 was abit lower like 132

yes the car sat for like 4 hours at work and then i cleaned the stick and did it (i know the basics) i just cant see a distinct line. maybe its a bit overfull and the oil is just clean? (amsoil 5-30)

Newbie's.

remove the o-ring at the top of the dipstick.

It seems all boxer engine holds oil up the dipstick tube when the engine is turned off. My B&S boxer engine on the lawn tractor did the same thing.

What I used to do before removing the o-ring was, drive to work, park the car on level ground, turn it off, open the hood, pull the dipstick about 2" out, close the hood, go to work, 8 hours later, open the hood, wipe the stick, check the oil.

You may find the oil reads in a V on the top side of the stick, flip it over, that the true reading.

Welcome to the world of boxer engines...

Oh top it off as needed, THESE THINGS USE OIL.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I see Max jsut beat me to it - I use his method. Park car and pull dipstick out a couple inches and let the car sit for a while (I usually leave overnight). Then insert and check. Usually differing levels on front to back - I read the lower of the two as the level.

I think in my got some new stuff for engine R&R thread I posted a picture of the roughly 45* angle the dipstick enters the oil at.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

about 4.5 qts, if you want exact numbers though :rtfm:

i feel like ive read from 4.5 to 5.2. Also on a tangent, to make up 1/4 of the dipstick how much should i put in? in b4 "basic math" does half of the diptick correlate to dividing 4.5/2 perfectly?

4.2 qt's

Here's why the stick is hard to read, see how it goes into the pan.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4718.jpg

• Moderators
Response fail.

Seriously?

Lol, no--not even remotely serious. This is just one of those questions that is answered in a billion threads--our dipsticks suck, read as best you can after the oil settles, add as needed.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Lol, no--not even remotely serious. This is just one of those questions that is answered in a billion threads--our dipsticks suck, read as best you can after the oil settles, add as needed.

u mad the forum is being used for its purpose? its not a wikipedia

^I'm sure he's just frustrated w/ the amount of n00b posts w/o checking the forum using the search features that are provided.

Learn how to navigate the forum w/o posting more of the same over and over

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

• Moderators
^i'm sure he's just frustrated w/ the amount of n00b posts w/o checking the forum using the search features that are provided

learn how to navigate the forum w/o posting more of the same over and over

This.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Archived