LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

I am surprised they didn't quote you for the front differential fluid as well.

They did!

I think I might have paid $80 for 5L of Motul Gear 300, which was enough for the front diff, transmission, t-case, and axle stubs, with enough left over for the center diff bearings and the synchros, too! I even had enough for the rear diff, and I have probably half a bottle left. Maybe I can use it to top off the blinker fluid reservoir...

This used to be a Goodyear local franchise service center, with decent service, now I am not so sure.

The salesman gave me a printout of recommended maintenance "from Subaru". $80 front diff fluid, $228 for the transmission oil change, and $180 for the "transfer case fluid". Can anyone see what is wrong there? Ill put up a pic later it was laughable.

There is a Skip's Goodyear near me. I used them once and never again. The tire balance was off enough that I was getting wheel hop. I took it to my "regular" America's tire by my work and no more issues. All 4 tires were off.

IIRC, America's tire said they balance it to less than 1/10 gram??? Maybe it is ounce...whatever it was, it was off by too much from Goodyear.

Edited by fredrik94087

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Did you guys see that 5th gen on 5th gen facebook group with a WRX hood scoop? Although it appears kinda cobbled together (looks like rivets or something), you can see how it would look, and it looks f'ning awesome. Is that guy on here?

Did you guys see that 5th gen on 5th gen facebook group with a WRX hood scoop? Although it appears kinda cobbled together (looks like rivets or something), you can see how it would look, and it looks f'ning awesome. Is that guy on here?
This guy used to be here and he couldn't handle all the critiques of his ride.

8a4d10c9f88364157cdbb5a8ee576d3f.jpg

HA, I remember when he posted him cutting into the hood a long time ago. I was like, "Man, some of these 5th gen guys are craaaazy."

Idk though, he seems like an alright dude. Aside from...this.

So, I got the Koni's cranked up a bit. I think I'm kinda settled at 1.25 turn F and 1 turn R. I was unsure about the other .25 in the front but once I did, I immediately noticed how well she turned in and was in love. I'm gonna go drive around tomorrow to get a good feel for it. Next year looking at strut bars for front and rear and maybe some bracing.

The rides a tad rough under nice bumps but I can live with it for now. If not I can always dial it back a bit but the way she turns in just got me feelin' like a kid in a go kart.

Next check maybe some sound deadening. Just the doors and the back deck. Mostly for sound quality.

This guy used to be here and he couldn't handle all the critiques of his ride.

8a4d10c9f88364157cdbb5a8ee576d3f.jpg

Thanks for posting that, was wondering what a 5th gen with a WRX-style scoop would look like.

He posted how he did this? Anyone happen to have a link?

Curious for the functional aspects, and maybe a chuckle or two.

He literally cut his standard hood and riveted on the hood scoop panel cut out of a WRX hood. It's also not a GT so it's only function is aesthetic.

JeJijbH.png

He's generally a nice, earnest dude, and his car changes a lot and pretty often, and I've liked it to differing degrees over the years, but he generally makes a lot of questionable decisions. Another good example is the (rather pricey) JDM OEM option front aero that is intended for the JDM bumper, but he riveted it onto his USDM bumper, and it doesn't fit right. He sent me a close-up video once and there's a lot of gaps, the USDM bumper is wider than the JDM too, so you can see a wider-than-should-be-split in the very middle of the front lip if you look close.

Different strokes for different folks. He really likes his car, so truthfully, what's it matter to me lol.

iLs1muE.png

Humble, thank you for posting that!

Holy crap, I didnt think everybody was being literal when they were saying he was cutting up his car, but yeah he was lol!

Yeah thats the optional aero for the facelifts, now all the rivets make sense.

In my idle moments I wondered about getting the middle of a WRX hood onto an LGT hood but he beat me like a rented mule. I'll do that in CF when I win the lotto.

Rest of it is not my cup of tea but he gives zero f*€k$ and I can respect that.

And I thought I was nuts when I drilled into my fender to fasten the fender liner.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

OMG it was challenge yesterday. I was having allot of issue to get my son and his car seat in and out of the Benz (CLK W209) and I was driving like a I was 5'2" tall (I'm 5'10"). I forgot that if you take the key out of the ignition the seat slide all the way back and did caused the car seat to come off the car seat base.

This morning I moved the base to the passenger side. This will give me some relief but I'm only using the Benz to pick up my son from daycare (Parents house) in the afternoon that is about 3 miles away.

Edited by amusa

I bought one of those Lollipop baby monitors. I set it up last night. This morning I got a notification at 5:25am that it was to noisy 80db (detect noise, motions, etc) on my smart phone. I viewed the live camera at work using my smart phone (Iphone). I see my wife on the screen, so I played Mozart thru the Camera speaker/Mic (It has this options). My wife jumped and got scared and I'm busting out laughing then I calm her down by talking thru the camera.

Rare personal life update. As of yesterday, there is a wonderful new woman in my life. She's an old flame of mine from years back that never had the chance to go anywhere the first time around, and she sort of just randomly popped back up in my life recently and everything just seemed to make sense.

This comes on the heels of a 4.5 year long relationship that I fully expected to end in marriage, that ended suddenly back in May of this year. This summer has been one of the most difficult times of my life as a result. I began pulling myself together a bit towards the end of fall, but she came out of nowhere and has truly brought the sunshine back into my life again. Haven't had a gray day since we've reconnected, and needless to say, I am a very happy man. :)

Humble - you might have 99 problems but a... ain't one. Amen to that!

And good luck, stand your ground, don't loose yourself and above all look for a friend and a partner in life/crime, the rest is bs.

now he tells me