LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

My wife drove hers new off the lot in Sept 2012, so coming up on 8yrs. Was the grad school commuter and then the travel hog so sitting at 170k. Took it over from the wife March of last year at 164k lol shorter commute and Covid have extended this car's life a few years! I'm not even going to look underneath for that rust... those commuting miles were on I-78 in PA -_-

Has anyone gone to Harbor Freight recently? I hadn't been in a while, and swung by to pick something up and they were wiped out! I am guessing supply chain issues since everything comes from China? Is it similar elsewhere, or is the barren waste that is NM unique?

Has anyone gone to Harbor Freight recently? I hadn't been in a while, and swung by to pick something up and they were wiped out! I am guessing supply chain issues since everything comes from China? Is it similar elsewhere, or is the barren waste that is NM unique?

I live like 5 min from one. Haven’t been there in awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tried to get a stand for my tile saw and the two Harbor Freight's in town were out, but one an hour away said they had three in stock. I drove down to grab one and they were the display stands... can I buy one? No, you can't buy one of these, sorry. The guy tells me, looks like there is one in stock 40 miles from here... no thanks, I'm sure it's not in stock there either.

I have been finding that in a lot of places with a lot of things right now. Try going to your local Cabela's, Shield's, Gander Mtn, etc right now and see what they have for hand gun stock. Everywhere around here and online is out of stock of a lot of things. I did find a couple good used guns at the local mom and pop shops. One other thing that is very difficult to find right now is 9mm rounds. They have two 50 box limits per house hold per day at the big name places around here. Online is out all over the place as well... crazy! I think the ammo issue is a problem with hoarding and not with supply, but I don't really know.

I guess with a lot of manufacturing places closing in April/May the supply chain is behind and I have been told by some vendors at work that there has been some issues with getting the delivery drivers needed to get the goods where they need to go on time.

It has been strange for sure.

The Ryobi inverter generator I want to buy from Home Depot has been out of stock in stores anywhere near me and online for weeks. When I started looking at them last year there were usually 4-6 in each store. Now there are none anywhere.

I tried to contact Subaru through the main website last week for the color breakdown of the 2011 Legacy GT, I mention that other owners have already gotten the 2010 and 2012 Color breakdown from Subaru. The response I got was "I am sorry but we do not have production numbers for our vehicles."

I guess Subaru does not freely give out that information. I will have to keep trying...

you don't have production numbers? BS. how do you conduct recalls if you don't know what kind of vehicles you're producing.
By VIN numbers, they dont need to have the breakdown by colors and options, only a list of VINs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I tried to contact Subaru through the main website last week for the color breakdown of the 2011 Legacy GT, I mention that other owners have already gotten the 2010 and 2012 Color breakdown from Subaru. The response I got was "I am sorry but we do not have production numbers for our vehicles."

I guess Subaru does not freely give out that information. I will have to keep trying...

I know we talked about this recently, and I had remembered seeing these numbers somewhere on here a long time ago. I went searching then and couldn't find them... but I clearly remember reading that there were exactly 50 of the 300 2011's in black. They were in a post separate from the other sets of numbers if you want to try digging.

SOA definitely has the breakdown, and its incredibly easy to retrieve, but probably only about 30 people (warranty/quality group) have regular access to that info. Its all about getting in contact with the right person.

Ah SOA. I appreciate the goodwill assistance they have provided over the years. But some information that you know they have they are funny about looking up and divulging. I bought my LGT used from an independent used car dealer 300+ miles from my home, it was 1 year old with 11k miles on it. At the end of the 3/36 warranty the third brake light in the Subaru trunk spoiler took on water. I had a local dealer repair it which they did by removing the spoiler and replacing the brake light assembly. When I picked up the car the spoiler was not as tightly secured to the trunk lid. Repairing dealer said the holes in the trunk lid were drilled too big for the spoiler fasteners and it was held on with adhesive when I dropped the car off. The repair would require a new trunk lid which they were not authorized to do under warranty because they were not a body shop and they directed me to contact SOA.

So I explained the issue to SOA and they wanted to know who installed the spoiler since they are not installed at the factory. They wouldn't help me until I had proof of who's fault this was (Port, dealer, or third party). I already had the service history for the car from the original selling dealership and the spoiler install wasn't noted. To determine if it was port installed apparently I needed the window sticker from when the car was new but SOA said I had to provide that. Fortunately the original selling dealer was really cool because when I called the sales department they sent me a reproduction (via e-mail or fax, i don't remember) of the original window sticker in less than an hour.

Result was that the spoiler was on the window sticker as a port installed accessory. SOA mailed me a check to have the local dealer's body shop replace the trunk lid. Great end result but the getting there was assbackwards.

I know we talked about this recently, and I had remembered seeing these numbers somewhere on here a long time ago. I went searching then and couldn't find them... but I clearly remember reading that there were exactly 50 of the 300 2011's in black. They were in a post separate from the other sets of numbers if you want to try digging.

SOA definitely has the breakdown, and its incredibly easy to retrieve, but probably only about 30 people (warranty/quality group) have regular access to that info. Its all about getting in contact with the right person.

I have emailed them in the past as well for 2011 numbers. We have 2010 and 2012 but for some reason 2011 is a black hole. I received the same response.

Ah SOA. I appreciate the goodwill assistance they have provided over the years. But some information that you know they have they are funny about looking up and divulging. I bought my LGT used from an independent used car dealer 300+ miles from my home, it was 1 year old with 11k miles on it. At the end of the 3/36 warranty the third brake light in the Subaru trunk spoiler took on water. I had a local dealer repair it which they did by removing the spoiler and replacing the brake light assembly. When I picked up the car the spoiler was not as tightly secured to the trunk lid. Repairing dealer said the holes in the trunk lid were drilled too big for the spoiler fasteners and it was held on with adhesive when I dropped the car off. The repair would require a new trunk lid which they were not authorized to do under warranty because they were not a body shop and they directed me to contact SOA.

So I explained the issue to SOA and they wanted to know who installed the spoiler since they are not installed at the factory. They wouldn't help me until I had proof of who's fault this was (Port, dealer, or third party). I already had the service history for the car from the original selling dealership and the spoiler install wasn't noted. To determine if it was port installed apparently I needed the window sticker from when the car was new but SOA said I had to provide that. Fortunately the original selling dealer was really cool because when I called the sales department they sent me a reproduction (via e-mail or fax, i don't remember) of the original window sticker in less than an hour.

Result was that the spoiler was on the window sticker as a port installed accessory. SOA mailed me a check to have the local dealer's body shop replace the trunk lid. Great end result but the getting there was assbackwards.

Port? The sticker on mine says built in Indiana.

Port? The sticker on mine says built in Indiana.

All US Legacy are built in SIA. Accessories if ordered are done at the distribution port and would show up on the window sticker. If they are added afterwards, the dealer installs them (and sometimes they charge labor to install)

All US Legacy are built in SIA. Accessories if ordered are done at the distribution port and would show up on the window sticker. If they are added afterwards, the dealer installs them (and sometimes they charge labor to install)

Ok, makes sense. ;)

The vindecoderz website give the model number and color.

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Subaru

2011 Legacy GT come with only 2 VIN variations, where X is the check digit and the last 5 are the sequence number

4S3BMFK6X1210001

4S3BMFL6X1210001

The biggest issue is Subaru made 49,756 2011 Legacy's. I wonder if I can write a script to figure this out.

Edited by dgoodhue
corrected website

The biggest issue is Subaru made 49,756 2011 Legacy's. I wonder if I can write a script to figure this out.

I also thought about doing this, but the check digit is calculated based on a formula using the other digits of the vin. This website can tell you the correct check digit: https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/decoder/CheckDigit/Index/5yj3e1eaxhf000316

Even if I wrote a script, I didn't feel like waiting for it to go back and worth between these websites so I didn't bother.

Edited by coco26

I know how to figure out check digit, it is not that hard. I can figure out how to write a formula to figure it out as I increment the sequence number.

One of my coworkers did QA and is really good with complex scripts. I may pick his brain once we get back in the office. I wonder if the website would notice that many inquiries. I would need to do almost 100k VIN numbers.

Edited by dgoodhue

I say do it. This wouldn't be the first time an enthusiast had to figure out something SOA wouldn't help with. :)

Also, I have no idea how to do what you are talking about, so Obi Wan, you're our only hope.

They wouldn't help me until I had proof of who's fault this was (Port, dealer, or third party). I already had the service history for the car from the original selling dealership and the spoiler install wasn't noted. To determine if it was port installed apparently I needed the window sticker from when the car was new but SOA said I had to provide that.

I went to the dealership (not where I bought it) today to have my recalled recall fixed. Upon checkout I noticed the dealer attached a few pages to their version of the svc paperwork that had the LGT’s entire history, including production dates, the “port” (listed as 020 Lafayette), a list of “port accessories,” the dealer it was shipped to, extensions of Subaru warranties (Takata airbag, headlight bulb, “fail code ULF warranty extension”), recalls and other service/warranty claims.

TLDR: SOA knows quite well what they’ve installed and done to the car.

Edited by dudemonster

I know how to figure out check digit, it is not that hard. I can figure out how to write a formula to figure it out as I increment the sequence number.

Now that I've seen that website, its much easier to to figure it out than I thought. I'm between jobs and have nothing to do, so I can take a crack at it and see if I get anywhere in the next few days. I'm by no means quick with writing scripts though.

Update: I got something that works, but the decoding sites are fairly limited for number of requests. Vindecoderz only does about 20, and I found one called autoDNA that lets me do a little over 1000 before it stops responding. Depending on the site, it takes up to 30 seconds to fully load each page, so this is going to take a very long time to run all 100,000 possible vins, not to mention however long I get locked out of the sites

Edited by coco26

• 2 weeks later...