LegacyGT.com

New 4th Gen Owner

Hey everyone. Today I picked up my, new to me, 2005 Outback XT Limited. The car has a couple of issues that I think might be remedied for fairly easily. The EJ255 originally in the car was overheated terribly, so he dropped in an EJ20X with dual AVCS, just unplugged the sensors. It works fine, but here's the issues with it:

- Check engine light flashes under heavy load, throws the following codes P0244, P1466, P0230, and P0304.

- Transmission shift hard from 2-3 and 3-4

- Cruise control light flashes all the time

- Seats were swapped to cloth at some point so the airbag light comes on and the passenger seat belt warning chimes every 20 seconds. I have a new set of leather seats to put back in the car with all the necessary features intact.

Overall, the car is a great machine. My first 4th gen. But in the words of the late Billy Mays: But wait, there's more.

I traded my 2003 Ford Expedition for a 2007 Outback XT with only 51,000 miles on it. It was involved in a front end collision that didn't cause any extensive damage, like a bent frame, but it blew both airbags. The guy I bought it from did all the repair work, except for painting. That one will need a radiator and the seat belt retractors, but those were included with the car.

Here's some pictures. Maybe some of you can shed some light on where to start with the codes.

yffOoGa.jpg

P2EmF3W.jpg

J35AnQS.jpg

lPjZUjS.jpg

Edited by Setnev

For the life of me I'll never understand why people don't just buy a new 255/257 short block, refresh the heads, and put it back together. :spin:

Welcome to the 4th gen life.

That's something only a sane person would do...:eek:

My ej257 will have 120,000 miles soon. Oh, I should add, trouble free.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That's something only a sane person would do...:eek:

My ej257 will have 120,000 miles soon. Oh, I should add, trouble free.

I would have done the same thing. The guy I bought it from was trying to flip it for cheap and ended up spending way too much time on it, which is why I bought it for dirt cheap.

bored and did some googling. might be helpful, might not.

p0244

looks like one possibility is an issue with a vaccum hose, disconnected, ripped/torn.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/some-help-po0244-216586.html

In the thread below they say to check for smooth wastegte operation, and that it might be caused by a tune/map? I don't know, this is outside my comfort zone.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/p0244-turbocharger-wastegate-solenoid-range-performance-190925.html?p=4128105

p1446

"after unmarrying my AccessPort from my 05 LGT LTD I get the CEL and blinking cruise light. I was able to find the error code but am not sure how to interpret it."

"I wound up calling Cobb again and telling them the actual error code and asking them to decipher it for me (after all it was when I unmarried the AccessPort that this problem occurred).

turns out it's a "known problem" when reverting to stock with an 05 Legacy GT 5EAT. Apparently when it restores the stock ECU it has an error in the code that looks for a sensor that isn't installed on the car (apparently it was installed on older models). so Cobb promised to email me a fix that would allow me to update the AccessPort and then allow me to successfully unmarry it without the CEL."

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/p1446-fuel-tank-sensor-control-valve-circuit-low-14119.html

" I have a 2005 Outback XT which I just returned to stock after many years and over 100,000 miles of fun. When the Accessport was unmarried I got a CEL (P1446 to be exact). Turns out it's a known problem, the ecu is looking for a non-existant sensor which was present on older OBXT's of the same model year."

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tactrix-cable-needed-asap-05-outback-xt-196593.html

However, since you have a fuel pump code with p0230, p1446 may not be caused by one of the things mentioned above. Discussions about p0230 are all over the place, I don't think your fuel pump is dead since your car is driveable. It sounds like you could have an aftermarket fuel pump with that code, and it's worth it to investigate wiring.

p0304 could be multiple things from what I've seen on here, wonder if it's fuel related considering the cel's above. Maybe the pump is dying? Not sure.

That's pretty solid apexi, even if all of his issues aren't fixed via the links, the fact that you took the time to help out is what makes this a great place.

Good luck with the new whip OP. They are fun vehicles but do require some level of care and tinkering, more than other vehicles it seems.

bored and did some googling. might be helpful, might not.

p0244

looks like one possibility is an issue with a vaccum hose, disconnected, ripped/torn.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/some-help-po0244-216586.html

In the thread below they say to check for smooth wastegte operation, and that it might be caused by a tune/map? I don't know, this is outside my comfort zone.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/p0244-turbocharger-wastegate-solenoid-range-performance-190925.html?p=4128105

p1446

"after unmarrying my AccessPort from my 05 LGT LTD I get the CEL and blinking cruise light. I was able to find the error code but am not sure how to interpret it."

"I wound up calling Cobb again and telling them the actual error code and asking them to decipher it for me (after all it was when I unmarried the AccessPort that this problem occurred).

turns out it's a "known problem" when reverting to stock with an 05 Legacy GT 5EAT. Apparently when it restores the stock ECU it has an error in the code that looks for a sensor that isn't installed on the car (apparently it was installed on older models). so Cobb promised to email me a fix that would allow me to update the AccessPort and then allow me to successfully unmarry it without the CEL."

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/p1446-fuel-tank-sensor-control-valve-circuit-low-14119.html

" I have a 2005 Outback XT which I just returned to stock after many years and over 100,000 miles of fun. When the Accessport was unmarried I got a CEL (P1446 to be exact). Turns out it's a known problem, the ecu is looking for a non-existant sensor which was present on older OBXT's of the same model year."

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tactrix-cable-needed-asap-05-outback-xt-196593.html

However, since you have a fuel pump code with p0230, p1446 may not be caused by one of the things mentioned above. Discussions about p0230 are all over the place, I don't think your fuel pump is dead since your car is driveable. It sounds like you could have an aftermarket fuel pump with that code, and it's worth it to investigate wiring.

p0304 could be multiple things from what I've seen on here, wonder if it's fuel related considering the cel's above. Maybe the pump is dying? Not sure.

You were spot on about the P0244 code. The vacuum line for the wastegate actuator was disconnected at the T.

As far as I know, the car has never been tuned, but I could be wrong. If this is the case, what can I do to remedy it. The PO said he never had an AP married to it, but he owned it for a short time before I acquired it. I think I should focus on other options.

I will look at the wiring for the fuel pump to see what's the deal.

As far as the P0304 code, I am thinking that because of the overboost from the wastegate not being connected properly, it wasn't getting enough fuel to compensate the added boost. It only happened when I was really getting on it and the check engine light started flashing. I assume it was triggering the P0304 code.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure an AP is not an option after an EJ20 swap.

(one of many reasons NOT to do one)

You will need to find someone that will do an opensource tune.

I am debating building my STI block and heads to drop in this car and just keeping the EJ20X for a backup, since I know it works and if I blow up the STI block, I have a spare while awaiting rebuild.

I talked to the guy I bought it from and he's unsure if the car has ever been tuned, but all points lead to yes it was tuned. The wiring harness in the car is pretty whacked out because he told me bought the car for $450 with a blown engine and interior was ripped out because the guy he bought it from wanted the interior for his Outback. I began to notice issues with the wiring when I was investigating why the airbag light was on for the passenger seat belt and the fact that the seat belt dinger goes off every 30 seconds. The pigtails for the passenger side seat are completely missing.

The guy I got it from is parting out a 2005 Legacy GT, so he is going to be giving me the complete harness from engine to rear hatch area along with the EJ255 ECU. I think he feels bad that I inherited his nightmare, but I'm not in a terrible rush to daily drive it because I have a newer turbo car (14 Ford Fusion) I am driving at the moment while I sort this one out.

I'd like a daily driver in the 300 HP/TQ range. It's my dad wagon, so power and reliability are most important. I dont really have a budget, but I know that swapping STI 6MT and full on STI motor swaps are out of the question just due to the sheer expense of the parts. I have a STI short block and heads, a FXT/WRX EJ255 intake manifold and a 20X intake manifold, lots of other goodies such as Walbro fuel pump, Apexi gauges. I also have single AVCS exhaust cams too, but dont know what modification is needed to make them work with the 20X.

If I were to build up the EJ257, I'd do forged pistons and rods, port the heads, VF52 turbo, bigger injectors, and a tune. I think I can build that for around $2k, right?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't bother porting the heads for those power goals.

Wouldn't bother with larger injectors either.

Vf52,upgraded fuel pump, ebcs (usually a tuners request), DP, catless UP, a proper tune, and you should sniff 300whp.

Running increased boost will quickly split the factory tmic as well. If you want to save some money look into "bullitproofing" the stock unit.

Power goals are doable and cost will be determined by how much of the work you do yourself.

Your biggest issue will likely be sorting out the basket case you inherited.

Edited by gkinslow

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice.

Since the last post, I emptied the tank of the gas that is in the car and it smelled stale. I refilled today with a fresh tank of top tier 91 octane and it seems better off the line and under boost with the EJ20x in the car. I still get a little bit of pinging at boost around 5k RPM and if I dont drive it like I stole it, the car is very driveable in its current form, with the exception that the passenger seat occupant sensor and seat belt sensor being busted and the seat belt dinger going off every 15 seconds.

I acquired a pair of nice black leather seats from an 07 LGT so I will be swapping them in this weekend to hopefully cure the incessant dinging. I also bought a good shifting 5EAT from a 05 LGT and I need to track down the matching rear diff. I have a new ECU from the same 05 LGT that I was going to swap in to see if it will cure my phantom codes for the sensor that doesn't exist. Also acquired the rear harness to hopefully fix the fubar connectors that were butchered out of the car.

I purchased a SSM3 compatible passthrough cable in hopes that I can use it to program some things on the ECU side. It's paired up to a Panasonic CF-31 Toughbook running SSM3 with no issues. I was able to see the airbag codes in the system and determine they are indeed related to the passenger seat harness being fubar.

My main focus right now is fixing my wife's 07. It's currently titled salvage, so it needs to go through the Level 3 inspection by the state of AZ before I can title it in my name and register it. The body is fixed, core support fixed, new suspension on the driver's side installed and radiator installed. Airbag light is still on, even after replacing the SRS computer for a known good computer. Codes came back on SSM with Code 27 being the likely culprit and all other codes related to that harness, so I purchased a replacement airbag harness and need to rip out half of the interior to replace the harness. If I don't get this car to pass inspection, I'll be buying a clean title 3rd gen donor and swapping everything into the clean title car and junking the body. I have a lead on a clean title 05 OBXT with a rod through the block that I am hoping I can be the highest bidder and get it delivered. Plan would be to use that car as her donor body and swap literally everything, electronics and all, from her 07 and scavenge the interior for the black bits I need to make car triple black.

If her car does pass inspection, I have a line on a 255 short block and I have some white/tan LGT leather interior to swap in and make a nice chunk of change on the flip. Exciting things are being planned in the next couple weeks. Overall, the black OBXT isn't as big of a basket case as I originally thought. It just needs some attention to detail and some TLC.

I refilled today with a fresh tank of top tier 91 octane and it seems better off the line and under boost with the EJ20x in the car. I still get a little bit of pinging at boost around 5k RPM and if I dont drive it like I stole it, the car is very driveable in its current form.

The ECM probably isn't tuned for the EJ20X engine. Drivability and fuel economy should be much improved with a good tune. Even though, you don't always hear the detonation, the ECM is likely pull timing to compensate. Long term this is going to shorten the engine life and increase the odds of needing to replace the engine again.

Also when you get to making the 07 Passenger seat working in the 05 you may want to look up username "Underdog" build thread as he details what is needed to get the airbag systems to work properly together.

Fro what others have expressed this is quite a pain.