LegacyGT.com

LGT Blown motor build

Ok guys, new here, first subaru and also first turbo car, 2010 LGT 6 speed 113xxx miles. Did a little tinkering around with it (invidia turbo back exhaust with catless dp, k&n intake, silicone turbo inlet tube, accessport) and than blew the motor(hole under the coolant crossover pope) Yah I know, gotta pay to play. So since I have no choice but to dive in head first, I'm wanting to build the motor and make some power. Not entirely sure what the magic number I'm trying to achieve is, but in short, I want to be able to beat most of the daily street cars. So if I had to throw a number out there, I'd probably say I want to be over 400whp. With that being said, I've searched and haven't come up with any good solid information. If I'm planning to be putting that kind of power down, what else needs/should be upgraded. Or better question, what are our axles, trans, clutch, etc rated up to. Any bits of insight and/or advice would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks guys

injectors, fuel pump, upgraded top mount or custom front mount, air/oil separator, head studs, sti cams, 1 step colder plugs, grimspeed EBCS, custom exhaust manifold with ewg, stick with the stock trans and just add some blast plates until it explodes (shouldn't take too long). 6 puck clutch will hold the power. Run e85 and add a 18G or 20G turbo.

I think Caranddriver busted a stock front half axle on the stock tune on their test drive back in '09... so don't launch your car unless you want to put in an STI trans.

Stock clutch can't even handle stage 2, so you're going to want to upgrade that for sure.

This thread should have all the info you need: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5th-gen-gt-power-roadblocks-and-solutions-259192.html

Oh and you'll need about 10-15grand that's the important part and that's probably lowballing it
That may get him to 350 if hes got a good tuner. Throw an extra 5-8 grand if you wanna go 350+. IIRC there's maybe a select few 5th gens pushing over 350 and those cars were built earlier in time when parts were more available or vendors were willing to small batch parts for us.

400 whp... hmm... there is a sticky with build lists...

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/build-list-270099.html

me thinks upgraded headers with a more common turbo flange will make your trek to 400hp a little easier.

otherwise acumenhokie made you a pretty complete list, and sarang linked probably the best read for power and our cars.

Ya the 400+tq thing makes for some fun driving.

Islandborn has gifted me his previous 20g and I'm gradually reimbursing him for it but with the build I have completed on previous stock fueling and turbo was 335/412.

Considering now larger injectors, pump, and fmic are in the works on standard 91oct I anticipate ~400hp is within reach and 450+ tq. Of course e85 would do it in a heartbeat but I don't want to go through the hassle of getting it in our area

• 2 weeks later...

Be prepared to get custom parts made if you want to make that much power. The stock turbo is pretty weak sauce so definitely plan on changing that. Get in touch with a tuner who knows his shit. If possible, one in person and not over the inter webs. Nothing beats having a tuner who can put his hands on your car and get the feel for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That may get him to 350 if hes got a good tuner. Throw an extra 5-8 grand if you wanna go 350+. IIRC there's maybe a select few 5th gens pushing over 350 and those cars were built earlier in time when parts were more available or vendors were willing to small batch parts for us.

Better intercooler- $800

Bigger non stock turbo- $1500 (you can go budget turbo and get a journal bearing like I did. Not as quick to spool, but once the boost is turned up you won’t even notice it’s not ball bearing and neither will the people you are leaving in your rear view.)

Custom exhaust manifold- $2000 ( this is what I was just quoted by a shop that does custom welding)

1000cc injectors- $450 used

Turbo back exhaust- $1500 less if you just get the Dow pipe built by the shop who does your custom exhaust manifold.

Fuel pump- $250

Proper Tune- $450 (e-tunes- please don’t. If you want to get the absolute best out of your setup you need that guy who has sat in tons of modified cars to tune your car in person.)

E85 would help immensely if you have it near you.

No clue why everyone is pushing STI cams??? This is my third 350whp+ Subaru and never has any of my tuners recommended these.

Doing installs at home will greatly lower the cost of your project. The only thing I didn’t install at home were my injectors.

No clue why everyone is pushing STI cams??? This is my third 350whp+ Subaru and never has any of my tuners recommended these.

The 5th Gen LGT has a smaller exhaust cam than the STI, WRX EJ25 and 4th Gen LGT. The STI exhaust cams are cheap and extend the power band to higher RPM. Most tuners probably aren't aware that the 5th Gen LGT exhaust cams are on the small side. I wouldn't pull a motor apart to do the exhaust cams, but if the motor is apart, one is doing other mods and was planning on otherwise reusing the stock cams, I think the STI exhaust cams makes sense at that point.

Ok guys, new here, first subaru and also first turbo car, 2010 LGT 6 speed 113xxx miles. Did a little tinkering around with it (invidia turbo back exhaust with catless dp, k&n intake, silicone turbo inlet tube, accessport) and than blew the motor(hole under the coolant crossover pope) Yah I know, gotta pay to play. So since I have no choice but to dive in head first, I'm wanting to build the motor and make some power. Not entirely sure what the magic number I'm trying to achieve is, but in short, I want to be able to beat most of the daily street cars. So if I had to throw a number out there, I'd probably say I want to be over 400whp. With that being said, I've searched and haven't come up with any good solid information. If I'm planning to be putting that kind of power down, what else needs/should be upgraded. Or better question, what are our axles, trans, clutch, etc rated up to. Any bits of insight and/or advice would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks guys

Pretty sure I saw this GT on craigslist! Locally too.

Let me know if you have any questions and might want to meet up and look over my setup/feel it.

The 5th Gen LGT has a smaller exhaust cam than the STI, WRX EJ25 and 4th Gen LGT. The STI exhaust cams are cheap and extend the power band to higher RPM. Most tuners probably aren't aware that the 5th Gen LGT exhaust cams are on the small side. I wouldn't pull a motor apart to do the exhaust cams, but if the motor is apart, one is doing other mods and was planning on otherwise reusing the stock cams, I think the STI exhaust cams makes sense at that point.

Ahh ok. That makes sense

Archived