LegacyGT.com

Leaking tail light

On my 97 Legacy water is leaking into my trunk through the drivers side tail light. I've read where people recommend different ways of sealing the light, and I would like to know what you have done to seal your tail light housings. I tried to remove it, but it seems to be glued in pretty well, or else I missed a bolt somewhere.

So what is the best way to fix this? Can it be done without removing the light?

Well I removed my tail light to tint them. I only got the one removed, the other was being a pain in the ass, I ended up taping around the outside and just tinting it there. Anyway...Afterwards, I guess I didn't put the drivers side tail light in good enough, because water was leaking into and going into the truck like you mentioned. I had a shit ton of water under the carpet where the spare tire is. I ended up tightening the light in there more, and i'm pretty sure it fixed the problem.

The best thing to do would be to find the leak from inside the trunk, then just seal it up there. Maybe yours could be loose like mine? Let me know

Hey, I had the same problem after I replaced my trunk lid. I had to swap all the lenses for the lights ect... Trunk leaked whenever it rained. It leaked a lot! The spare tire well would fill up. I just removed the rubber plug at the bottom of the spare tire well until I could find a solution. (at first I was not sure where it was coming from) It was all coming from the tail light lenses leaking. The seal material, (Foam), does not last. It's OK I guess until you mess with, but once you do it will likely leak. CLOSED CELL FOAM WEATHERSTRIPPING! It's self stick. I went to Lowes and got a roll of it in the door section. I think I got 3/4 wide X 1/4 thick. Remove the light assemblies and strategically stick the weatherstripping between the car body and light assemblies/reinstall lights. I had to do some fine tune trimming so the lenses would fit flush and proper. I am so pleased at my own resourcefulness and ingenuity at this solution. Humble, aren't I. It has to be closed cell foam (waterproof). Be careful, Open cell foam (AKA sponge) is on the same rack at Lowes and it is not waterproof
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

I got some of the window-weld that highflyr recommended and worked on it the other day. After a few minutes with a hairdryer the old stuff was softened up enough to get the tail ligt off. I cleaned off as much of the old stuff as I could and put 2 loops of the window weld on the housing and bolted it back on. Hopefully it is watertight again.

Man that stuff is a gooey mess though! I had it everywhere by the time I was done.

Archived