LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

Those are the things that keep me with the Legacy.. his rear bench has virtually no leg room. Kids car seats barely squeeze back there. The Legacy platform is just more practical and ups the ante with the GTs, but the more spirited rally feel and response was intoxicating in the STI. 4th gear definitely surprised me, but I loved the feeling through the steering wheel the most over the power. I'll keep dreaming for the next year or so :)

Those are the things that keep me with the Legacy.. his rear bench has virtually no leg room. Kids car seats barely squeeze back there. The Legacy platform is just more practical and ups the ante with the GTs, but the more spirited rally feel and response was intoxicating in the STI. 4th gear definitely surprised me, but I loved the feeling through the steering wheel the most over the power. I'll keep dreaming for the next year or so :)

I had a rear facing baby car seat (Uppababy Mesa and then later Chicco Keyfit 30) in a Mercedes-Benz CLK500. Did it for a year before I trade it in due to rod knock. Can't be that difficult to get a baby car seat in a STI.

Edited by amusa

I had a rear facing baby car seat (Uppababy Mesa and then later Chicco Keyfit 30) in a Mercedes-Benz CLK500. Did it for a year before I trade it in due to rod knock. Can't be that difficult to get a baby car seat in a STI.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean its a good idea or it will be comfortable. Rear facing seats wasn't going to happen in my forester that was the main reason for moving up to a legacy. The rear seating is spacious in comparison. Even compared to our tribeca the legacy has more room in the back seat.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean its a good idea or it will be comfortable. Rear facing seats wasn't going to happen in my forester that was the main reason for moving up to a legacy. The rear seating is spacious in comparison. Even compared to our tribeca the legacy has more room in the back seat.

What ever makes you happy.

Putting a rear facing baby seat in my old 2 door CLK was perfectly fine and I manage. What about vehicles with 2 seats only. The baby car seat is place in the passenger front. It's in the owner manual for that vehicle.

Edited by amusa

This is similar to what made me decide on an LGT. Bigger, roomier, more grown up styling in and out compared to a WRX, but with that familiar fun turbo awd drivetrain.

Suspension is pretty close between the LGT and WRX/STI? Biggest difference I can think of is the wider track and quicker steering, so we can get close to that feel, except for the quick steer though. I wonder if there is a way to get quicker steering?

I've had a knocking noise getting worse in my front suspension for a few months now, so I took one of my front struts off while swapping to winter tires. The new OEM strut mounts I put on when I changed my struts about 20k miles ago have a few degrees of play in the bearings side to side. Not sure if that's a result of the tein coilovers and lift kit combined, or from one of them independently.

I'm now trying to quickly decide on the best setup I can get together over the winter and get good prices today. I can either stick with the same setup and throw on new mounts, or build koni's from my stock struts. Then do I get rear lower controls arms...? And bushings...? And...

While deciding on dampers and springs....

Front strut mounts

Front suspension arm bushings

Rear camber arms

Rear swaybar 20mm

Front strut mounts since they have play, go replace them. I use OEM for that. I would do front suspension bushings while I am there because those pancake bushings like to tear so might as well get that out of the way while the suspension is out. I went OEM with that too.

Rear suspension dont usually wear so bad on our cars, but I'd do rear camber arms to get camber even on both sides, especially if lowering. I wemt Whiteline over SPC since I prefer a bushing over a spherical joint for my application. And rear sways are a very nice upgrade too, I went 20mm and love it! I have Cusco but Whiteline probably has this too, and they are on sale till Monday I think.

While deciding on dampers and springs....

Front strut mounts

Front suspension arm bushings

Rear camber arms

Rear swaybar 20mm

Front strut mounts since they have play, go replace them. I use OEM for that. I would do front suspension bushings while I am there because those pancake bushings like to tear so might as well get that out of the way while the suspension is out. I went OEM with that too.

Rear suspension dont usually wear so bad on our cars, but I'd do rear camber arms to get camber even on both sides, especially if lowering. I wemt Whiteline over SPC since I prefer a bushing over a spherical joint for my application. And rear sways are a very nice upgrade too, I went 20mm and love it! I have Cusco but Whiteline probably has this too, and they are on sale till Monday I think.

What whiteline part number did you use for rear control arms?

I can't say, they do look the same from what I've seen.

I do know the 216 looks to have both ends adjustable with cam bolts on the hub side and eccentric bushings at the other side. The 216A I have only has the hub side adjustment, and has a standard poly bushing on the other side. But I'm not sure if that is what the A stands for.

What does it cost to have the head gaskets replaced on a 2010 2.5 non turbo?

gonna depend on the shop, but the last 2.5 n/a i had i was quoted around $2500, assuming no parts besides the head gaskets(and related gaskets...valve cover for instance) timing components, and machine work on the heads. It obviously goes up from there if other things need to be replaced as well, and depends on your local labor rates.

Depends on the going labor rate, I have seen independent shops as low as $1500, but dealers should be able to give you a quote over the phone fairly quickly. I would expect them to be roughly $2-2500 depending on what parts you need replaced. Any Subaru dealer also carries a 12 month/12k mile warranty on work and parts. An extra consideration if that matters to you.

I reached out the poster who did the 4th Gen Legacy production numbers and asked him about doing the 2011 GT color breakdown and the 2012 Legacy GT US color breakdown (currently it is done with the both US and CA) He responded saying that he will try get to looking them up in the next few days. This would be awesome to get this information. fingers crossed

Were you able to get the production information?

So it is going to cost me $2340 with head machine work and a new water pump. Labor rate here in Vegas is $140/hr. So you guys were right on the money.

So it is going to cost me $2340 with head machine work and a new water pump. Labor rate here in Vegas is $140/hr. So you guys were right on the money.

hurts don't it? one of the necessary evils of owning a subaru--either have 2-3 grand set aside for head gaskets, or learn to do the work yourself and hope you can get it done in a long weekend.