LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

got my new project! getting it in to daily status and taking my GT off the road for commuting duty, so the GT gets to turn in to the project and get the needed work done.

Parents sold it to me for what they were offered on trade in, a whopping $500. 2002 acura TL type S. need an axle, brake work, a thorough detail, and like 3 transmission flushes, but should be a great commuter once it's working well. dad's had the car forever, and he's happy that it's going to someone that will take care of it and will keep it in the family.

Edited by creep_nu

Things are shaping up to purchase this guy this weekend. It's just going to be moved from the current owners driveway to my parents driveway a block away until I have a few hours to replace the leaky water pump and get it all the way home. Runs and drives fine but cant go more than 2 miles before the coolant level light goes on and I live 22 miles away. Yes, it's a 6MT ZHP. Can't wait to be hearing the beautiful symphony of an Inline-6 again.

1a73d377b760f298da25c0416c9c1292.jpg

ceaf2a9786435932194fbbbbbbfdb127.jpg

Edited by GTEASER

Things are shaping up to purchase this guy this weekend. It's just going to be moved from the current owners driveway to my parents driveway a block away until I have a few hours to replace the leaky water pump and get it all the way home. Runs and drives fine but cant go more than 2 miles before the coolant level light goes on and I live 22 miles away. Yes, it's a 6MT ZHP. Can't wait to be hearing the beautiful symphony of an Inline-6 again.

Is that a 944 in the driveway?

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Is that a 944 in the driveway?
Yes it is. It, like the ZHP, is not driveable without work. Both have been sitting there dor almost 2 years. The ZHP had a layer of dust and cobwebs with dried leaves around the wheels. I just couldn't let it sit there neglected any longer and left my card on the guy's daily about 2 months ago. He called me. I'm glad I left that card. It's actually in surprisingly good cosmetic and mechanical shape with only 135k miles on it.

1a73d377b760f298da25c0416c9c1292.jpg

ceaf2a9786435932194fbbbbbbfdb127.jpg

Nice score!

The cooling system on those suck, maybe look into overhauling the cooling system while you have things apart doing the water pump?

I didnt believe the forums and started off fixing leaks one at a time, by the third leak I believed them and just replaced everything lol!

Belt tensioners and idlers dont last long either because of how hot those engines like to run, suggest to check those too.

Initially I just want to fix it enough to get it home to my driveway. There are no leaks at all, oil, water or power steering, other than the water pump. Once it's home it will get a full fluid change and I will start saving up for an aluminum radiator and expansion tank. It was well taken care of while he was driving it. Annually he would take it to the local BMW dealer for a courtesy inspection and replace himself whatever they found needing attention.

Additionally I will replace the o2 sensors, DISA valve, and cam position sensor. And clean the CCV valve and throttle body. The Vanos was already serviced at about 110k miles. Has new FCABs, brakes and tires too.

Edited by GTEASER

Luv me some ZHP. Hard to find in general let alone in good condition!
There is a shit ton of them here in California. Probably 10 listed on CL in NorCal. Most have very very high mileage or were abused. 1 in 10 is a very low mileage garage queen with insane asking price. I can't wait to really start driving it and becoming familiar with the motor and handling.

Initially I just want to fix it enough to get it home to my driveway. There are no leaks at all, oil, water or power steering, other than the water pump. Once it's home it will get a full fluid change and I will start saving up for an aluminum radiator and expansion tank. It was well taken care of while he was driving it. Annually he would take it to the local BMW dealer for a courtesy inspection and replace himself whatever they found needing attention.

Additionally I will replace the o2 sensors, DISA valve, and cam position sensor. And clean the CCV valve and throttle body. The Vanos was already serviced at about 110k miles. Has new FCABs, brakes and tires too.

Oh I felt exactly the same till the leaks came one after the other lol!

Here's a nice cooling system faq from the unabomber of the e46's nasioc, it was pretty accurate for me - https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=914109#/topics/914109

Good you have it's service history, narrows the replacement list down some hopefully.

The aluminum stuff is bad ass but $$$$! I got good luck with Behr rads and OEM expansion tanks, but I also put on a lower pressure E30 rad cap.

The German Auto Solutions modified DISA valve is a nice upgrade -

https://www.germanautosolutions.com/bmw_solutions/disa_products/m54_m52tu/m54_disa_repair_kit/product_m54_disa_repair_kit.php

Started to paint the new shop next door (We have both shops). Shop crew agree to install a couple of 1up arcade machine (one is getting hacked with all the games). Found out we have a Mortal Kombat true arcade machine that I need to help pick up from storage (Still have allot to do in the new shop).

The new shop will be storage, restoration, Audio/Alarm install and hang out lounge.

Edited by amusa

Oh I felt exactly the same till the leaks came one

The aluminum stuff is bad ass but $$$$! I got good luck with Behr rads and OEM expansion tanks, but I also put on a lower pressure E30 rad cap.

The German Auto Solutions modified DISA valve is a nice upgrade -

https://www.germanautosolutions.com/bmw_solutions/disa_products/m54_m52tu/m54_disa_repair_kit/product_m54_disa_repair_kit.php

I agree on the Behr radiator I had them in my old CLK. (It was recommended by my friend, who is Master Mercedes Tech)

I also ran a Fluidyne Aluminum high performance radiator. I had very good results in my Acura. I don't trust Mishimoto products. I heard allot of complaints about there craftsmanship (welds, etc.).

For German parts I buy from ECSTuning.com (They have OEM and aftermarket parts). Mostly I buy OEM parts for German vehicles.

Started to paint the new shop next door (We have both shops). Shop crew agree to install a couple of 1up arcade machine (one is getting hacked with all the games). Found out we have a Mortal Kombat true arcade machine that I need to help pick up from storage (Still have allot to do in the new shop).

The new shop will be storage, restoration, Audio/Alarm install and hang out lounge.

Finish him!!! :jedi::icon_mrgr

What a crazy weekend at the shop. Lower control arms in the main shop and painting the exterior wall of the seating/waiting area of the new shop next door and loading up more cars. On top I had dental Surgery last Friday :( (My last one is the first week of December). Where moving that 1up in the back to the front (We have (2) more still in the box). Just waiting to have the windows tinted first and finish the flooring.

Next weekend on the to do list work on the AE86.

IMG_1653.thumb.JPG.676f3f41efb96f607011e0fcbf0719ba.JPG

IMG_1645.thumb.JPG.c7a3a11819cb65d51e359feb5728bf24.JPG

IMG_1650.thumb.JPG.3db516303cee35ceb1cd346fbf7774bf.JPG

IMG_1642.thumb.JPG.caec3255b5bdf9c11a7e02e4a3e867c4.JPG

IMG_1647.thumb.JPG.3008dd5bb52f33fbe29a69311117f3f7.JPG

Edited by amusa

i'm about to lose my mind with my new(to me...) acura. soft spongy brake pedal. bled the brakes manually, powered and changed master cylinder(with a junk yard part). ABS is working fine when i slam on the brakes, the pedal firms up when i pump them up both when the car is and isn't running, and doesn't fall back to the floor...gotta be the master cylinder...right?

on the plus side i changed out the trans fluid and it feels *so* much better. still on borrowed time with those v6 honda units from the early 2ks, but until that goes, the engine's a peach, the ride is great, and holy god the seats are perfect and so so comfy.

Is your actual stoppage of the vehicle normal (ie: not delayed or difficult)? If you're looking for better "feel", you could add stainless lines or a booster brace? Also if you replaced the MC, how did you bleed the brakes? It's usually best to start from RR,RL,FR,FL.

I think my lgt brakes are spongy, but its fine operationally.

no, it's not normal. once they're pumped up they feel great, but as soon as i let my foot off the brake it goes right back to stopping down at the very bottom of the pedal travel, and it's very light friction...almost feels like what you'd expect just rear brakes to feel like instead of all 4, if that makes sense.

as far as what i've done--the pedal felt bad since i got the car. replaced 2 of the bleeders since they were rusted shut. bled out the 180k+ mile old fluid for a full replace RR LR RF LF. looked at acura info and saw on that car it actually likes it in reverse, so tried it that way, no improvement. got a vacuum pump and did it the first way, no improvement, then did it the 2nd way. replaced the master cylinder and then did it both ways. I did bench bleed the master cylinder before install.

Think i'm going to try a reman master cylinder before giving up and bringing it to a shop...just seems weird that i would get a junkyard part that was broken the same way(assuming failing seal in the master cylinder, since they still pump up)

Edited by creep_nu

Oh okay, that makes more sense. Sounds like the MC. Could be a common issue with that model (and thus the jy one you got is bad too). Was ther signs of fluids leak around it? Maybe a bad caliper if your car pulls to one side too.

Other thoughts,

Brake booster

air check valve in vacuum line

...but those will have the opposite symptoms.

Calipers are fine, rear brakes were replaced recently, and checked the fronts to verify, all still move fine. Thought about air in the ABS system...I cycled abs a few times forward and reverse before my last bleed, no air came out. Might have to bring it to the dealer/capable shop to have them cycle it with a computer. If the MC doesn't fix it that's the next step. I'm feeling fairly confident it's the master cylinder based on my research, but not getting my hopes up

i'm about to lose my mind with my new(to me...) acura. soft spongy brake pedal. bled the brakes manually, powered and changed master cylinder(with a junk yard part). ABS is working fine when i slam on the brakes, the pedal firms up when i pump them up both when the car is and isn't running, and doesn't fall back to the floor...gotta be the master cylinder...right?

on the plus side i changed out the trans fluid and it feels *so* much better. still on borrowed time with those v6 honda units from the early 2ks, but until that goes, the engine's a peach, the ride is great, and holy god the seats are perfect and so so comfy.

I know some of the Honda models are known to have soft feel brake pedals like air is trap in the line. People usually replace the rubber brake line with braided steel lines instead.

I had this problem on my old Integra. I swap the whole entire brake system to a Integra Type R (Came from Ben Schaeffer SCCA#33 Integra Type R) and my brakes stop on a dime.

Edited by amusa

I know some of the Honda models are known to have soft feel brake pedals like air is trap in the line. People usually replace the rubber brake line with braided steel lines instead.

I had this problem on my old Integra. I swap the whole entire brake system to a Integra Type R (Came from Ben Schaeffer SCCA#33 Integra Type R) and my brakes stop on a dime.

certainly a possibility, and shockingly goodridge makes a set for the TL...good to know...

Drove my co-workers 2018 STI yesterday. I've been politely declining his offers knowing how it would get under my skin. lol power and handling just a different level from what I'm attuned to. I've driven 'performance' (above avg) cars before (Vette ZR1, Audi S4, Golf R32..) but this was so much fun. Only mods are muff deletes and short throw shifter w/bushings.

So with that said, any of you 5th gen GT owners driven the 18+ STIs and have remarks on how they compare? Obv out of factory is different, but after doing some moderate improvements to your 5th gen, does it give that same feeling or do you yearn for the STI? I really just need to test drive a 5th gen GT to find out for myself, but trying to gauge if I should hold out for the new model STIs after the ej25.

Drove my co-workers 2018 STI yesterday. I've been politely declining his offers knowing how it would get under my skin. lol power and handling just a different level from what I'm attuned to. I've driven 'performance' (above avg) cars before (Vette ZR1, Audi S4, Golf R32..) but this was so much fun. Only mods are muff deletes and short throw shifter w/bushings.

So with that said, any of you 5th gen GT owners driven the 18+ STIs and have remarks on how they compare? Obv out of factory is different, but after doing some moderate improvements to your 5th gen, does it give that same feeling or do you yearn for the STI? I really just need to test drive a 5th gen GT to find out for myself, but trying to gauge if I should hold out for the new model STIs after the ej25.

They are definitely different cars, the STI makes more power over higher rpms, and rides much stiffer than the Legacy. As it should for its purpose. The legacy has better low end power but falls flat up top stock anyway. The legacy is a cruiser not a rally car.

One of the best driving experiences I've had was in a 15' launch edition. Definitely more fun than my lgt. However the lgt definitely is more comfy and better options imo. Grown up STI ;) HOWEVER when the time comes I'll probably ditch the lgt for a 18+ STI or a 15+ golfR/Audi S3 if I decide to move on