LegacyGT.com

NPR pistons/rings -- who uses them? Are these any good?

if your not driving the car, then i would pull the motor and pull it apart to see whats really going on. The condition of the cylinder walls, journals etc. should give you a better idea of what route to take.

Yeah. Still driving it though :spin:. I mean, honestly, you would have no idea something may be up. She starts fine, runs fine, does have a very few misfire count but that's rare. As I previously said, I've been having to add a lot of oil. So I wanted to change the turbo first to really rule out failing turbo seals too.

But yeah, I'll probably open her up soon.

Is there a reason you're not just rebuilding your block with better pistons? Is it just a cost thing and hoping these would be a good deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am actually all for recycling and reusing parts TBH. So I'd like to go that route. Plus it might be cheaper. Problem is all the labor and time it'll take. And I have a wife and three little kids too including a little 2 months old. So yeah, I have to be smart with my use of time. So I may go the IAG route with maybe a stage 2 block :spin:. Then I'll keep this one for a future rebuild and stuff.

Wife approved already the IAG option, but man, not cheap. But I understand that I save a lot of time and headache too.

Oh, and I already bought and received my gasket kit..

Yea that's always the balance. Time cost and need for the vehicle. I guess it depends on the area. For max capacity a rebuild of his block was quoted really expensive. Tehnation says his rebuild with a bunch of upgrades was the same cost as my stock block. Guess it also depends on the turn around at the machine shop too. You'd still want to get the stuff machined so it's not like you can swap the block in a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's right.

It's funny though cause at this point, the short block is the last item I never really touched on this car. I have worked on almost everything else on this vehicle from electrical, to suspension, to partial transmission rebuild, to valve clearance, to driveshaft rebuild, to etc.....

I am almost positive after I fix this block issue and tune her good, the car should last a very long time. Another 10 years and it'll become a collector car :lol: