LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Aero-Kroil works great on my 86' F150, that has spent most of its life sitting on the lawn.

Can't say enough about the stuff.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Not exactly “today” but over the last week:

Quieted down the Q300 exhaust in the cabin significantly by adding exhaust tips to it. 217617ea594252bbfbb0fcc59a75f949.jpg

With the wagon rear bumper the Q300 tips are tucked in by about 50mm. This is enough that some of the sound coming from them gets radiated straight into the cabin, and make it pretty annoying. Previously I had stuck motorcycle exhaust baffles in to try and shut it up, but they only helped a little. These are just past the bumper and thus the pulses aren’t transferred as directly into the cabin. As the two exits are separated by 0.4in you can’t stick unmodified 3” tips to on, so I had to cut a 0.8in slit the inner ones so the can partially overlap.

Not sure about the look (bit flashy for my taste) but driving the car is much more comfortable.

Today: ordered new MAF connector, a spare MAF, and some connectors for relocating the IAT sensor into the throttle body hose when I rewire everything. I have one there now, but it’s just used for logging. Need to change the ECU input so it will adjust timing based on it.

Today, put the wagon on a flatbed to send to the garage for the 2nd time in 2 weeks. Just got it back Thursday after it died (seized timing pulley - lucky), then tried to start it last night and starter tried once then quit. Tried to jump start it, but think I might have messed up the clutch. Hopefully not, but would be a good excuse to put in a 6-speed.

Driving in rush hour stop and go traffic in Los Angeles on Friday evening, car jerked hard and stalled in first. I started it back up but it was bucking hard so I coasted it off to the shoulder. Dead clutch pedal, thought great the master or slave gave out. Got it towed to a friends driveway.

Since I replaced the master about 40-50k ago and I reused the slave off the Sti donor car that I pulled the 6 speed off of, I decided to replace the slave see how that goes. No Subaru dealers had the slave cylinder in stock in all of SoCal so I find a junkyard that has a wrecked 08 sti with 80k on it - 30 bucks. I go down there and grab that one instead of going autozone route. When I pulled the old slave off I noticed a good amount of play on the clutch fork, it would go all the way back and about 65-75% of the way forward. I pulled the dust boot and looked around as best I could to examine the TOB. Not much to see, it’s too hard to get an angle. I installed the new one and started bleeding it, it pushed the fork all the way forward. Decided to check the fork with my hand again and sure enough I was able to move it all the way front to back and forward again.

TOB trashed most likely, I’m guessing the last push forward completely separated it, or maybe it was hanging onto one tab, or maybe clutch fork broke, not sure. Anyway, just ordered an oem exedy fjk1000 kit from rock auto, I’m having a shop do it because I don’t have the tools available to me or the extra friend to help out down here.

It was an ACT XTSS clutch kit, heard great things about their clutches so I decided to try them out. It was a pretty heavy clutch, I didn’t mind in regular driving but it really sucked in traffic, my girl wouldn’t drive the car because the pedal was so heavy lol. Lasted about 45k miles. Wouldn’t recommend for daily driver.

Working on moving the guts of an '05 OBXT to my '05 LGT.

Stupid Barry is going to make it rain for four days... So I had to improvise. At my in-laws house, so trying to keep things neat and tidy for them.

Stripped the interior of the OBXT, organized it, started pulling out all the tan stuff from my LGT and dumping it in the back of the OBXT.

Seats are definitely in better shape, cushion wise. Also found little upgrades, like the OBXT rear seat has a fold down arm rest in the middle that the LGT didn't get.

The back half is all done, just need to get the dash moved over and everything put back together to complete the full interior swap.

IMG_6373.thumb.JPG.1750ad6aa8a01c7f502c7377d1795a70.JPG

IMG_6374.thumb.JPG.ce1e7993f6d2d9b953df9563ef3ece73.JPG

IMG_6377.thumb.JPG.65f9666b85791995859c159ba3475a2f.JPG

IMG_6378.thumb.JPG.bc701a6e86d9226c94e69e2d14cbf546.JPG

That full black interior looks 100x better than my worn, dirty (used to be) tan interior...:wub:

The 650 mile drive back from picking up the OBXT and she burned almost no oil, that makes me a happy man.

Next on the list is putting her on jack stands and pulling the engine/tranny together, and the rear diff as well. It all has 88k on it vs. the 202k on my driveline. While it's out, I'm going to replace the clutch, do TGV deletes (the TGV on the passenger is practically touching my VF52), full timing belt service, and refresh the hoses and clamps under the intake. I'll move over a number of the newer parts from my engine, and then put it all in my LGT.

Honestly, I'm curious if I'll notice the 4.44 rear end from the OBXT vs the 4.11 that the LGT has. Guess there is one way to find out.

Edited by Infosecdad

Ugh...

Got the dash out from the OBXT and the LGT.

IMG_6381.thumb.JPG.92a99f860d7607fe325f31dd75840c2b.JPG

Definitely more life left in the OBXT dash.

I started wondering about the airbag recall and how to tell the difference...

Once I had both out, I realized it wasn't that hard to tell.

Guess the PO never had the recall done.

IMG_6382.thumb.JPG.9857034b00c02fc6ce9e5551beab47c4.JPG

IMG_6383.thumb.JPG.3bd837f3549f5b67176c92215dbffa5b.JPG

I don't know how anyone can swap these out without pulling the dash, that can't be fun to do.

IMG_6384.thumb.JPG.9887655ffc82dc4142e3e9409e25312d.JPG

Transplanted, now to reinstall the dash in my car.

I'll be glad I did it in the end, but I sure don't want to do it ever again.

Not today but on saturday, I drove the 05 LGT. To drop off the rest of the money for the 08 Spec B I found.

I can't wait till friday eve when I can start tearing into this new car! Some stupid wedding on saturday though, damn you Tysparks87!!

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

I picked the wagon up from the body shop...again.

Nothing bad, I just had them replace the rear FM antenna harness because I didn't want to spend the time working upside down.

That got a new harness and I paid with cash. Well worth it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Ugh...

[ATTACH]277400[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]277401[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]277402[/ATTACH]

I don't know how anyone can swap these out without pulling the dash, that can't be fun to do.

[ATTACH]277403[/ATTACH]

Is that the OBXT that was for sale on here, in Texas?

Ugh...

[ATTACH]277400[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]277401[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]277402[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]277403[/ATTACH]

My dash is getting some "soft" spots and it rattles from those dumb mounts Subaru used. I am going to replace it with another at some point. How long did it take you to pull the old one?

j.

Subaru did put out a recall for soft/sticky dashes a few years ago. I had to wait a few months for one to come in, but the dealership replaced the entire dash for free along with the airbag recall.

Installed rear stout mounts and RA flaps the other day, hand washed and detailed all the glass. Dirty DGM is no good, but clean DGM is very sharp. Like to do away with the chrome strips under the doors, but not sure the best way.

UOA kit came today and picked up oil. Will install my fumoto valve and some solid front endlinks, send a sample out this week.

RockAuto coupon code is about to expire - 11007829993147554

Saved more money toward my motor to be installed. I backed my car out and up and down my driveway. Then back into the garage. Got a battery tender on it now. Looking at February to drop the car off for all parts to be installed, 91-93 dyno tune by boosted preformance.

I truly don't know what is wrong with the car. I know it is making a horrible can or marbles noise :lol:, and it smokes nice an white when it wants. :lol: So I have acquired a ton of performance parts, and saving 5k for everything to be done minus what I spent already. if it is more fine.

I am figuring the worst. I pretty sure the turbo is gone, and needs a possible short block, rebuilt heads and many other things I have new in the box or used. Thanks form the help of Max Capacity and following his build, I am going to go the same direction. I could be wrong and it could be a fix and I could be in luck.

ej257 short block, and all the goods, including vf52, injectors, pump, TMIC and the list is nuts for a person who is not really caring about power. I bought this about 5 months ago and have a nice daily that I driver, so I can save up the cash to have it all done. I could do this my self with buddies, but with 2 kids in daycare, and working I have little time.

I did replace the brakes and rotors, cause the lady I bought it from (car was bone stock) had not changed anything. I greased up everything thing and all works and stops great.

Funny thing is the car starts and run with no check engine light lol :lol: even though it smokes and sounds like hell. I will prob start a build thread soon.

I have 2 last parts to buy ARP studs and Innovate SCG-1 Solenoid inBoostin Controller & Wideband Gauge, all my Amsoil fluids, and gasket set.

Edited by NORULZleggy

Finally mounted some Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires 235/40/18 on new to me ROTA Tarmac 3 rims

So can we run a 235/45/18 on the car with out rolling fenders? I am not remember if I ran a 225 or 235 on my old 08 legacy. I do know it was an 18. I did have to roll my rears on my 09 WRX with 235 18s.

Prepping it to take off the engine stand and reinstall. She's getting closer to light-off after a long period on the hard (you sailors will know this term).

Checking my list it's just a clutch install, drop it in, connect some hoses and the wiring and we should be good to go.

The reinstall is planned for Friday, so we'll see what Friday brings. Fingers crossed.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

So can we run a 235/45/18 on the car with out rolling fenders? I am not remember if I ran a 225 or 235 on my old 08 legacy. I do know it was an 18. I did have to roll my rears on my 09 WRX with 235 18s.

I run 245/40R17 RE-71Rs for autoX. Those are shorter, but wider than 235/45R18. I get minor rubbing in the back if I've got rear-seat passengers, but nothing too bad (no marks on the sidewalls or anything). Car's lowered a decent amount, too.

Did some more cleaning today. Should be ready to drop off for assembly once the heads are back from the machine shop (targeting next week, it seems).

http://i.imgur.com/uM1cnvgl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6iyDJ5Al.jpg

I run 245/40R17 RE-71Rs for autoX. Those are shorter, but wider than 235/45R18. I get minor rubbing in the back if I've got rear-seat passengers, but nothing too bad (no marks on the sidewalls or anything). Car's lowered a decent amount, too.

Did some more cleaning today. Should be ready to drop off for assembly once the heads are back from the machine shop (targeting next week, it seems).

Can I ask what you used to clean up the HG surface? I had a hoot of a time with plastic razor blades, gentle nudges with Subaru's recommended Roloc discs and plenty of gasket remover. Didn't come out quite as clean as yours, but better than the pictures in Subaru's TSB.

For reference, heads and block cleaned up with Subaru's recommended practices:

9imbAwN.jpg

jrYZmJL.jpg

Edited by awfulwaffle

Can I ask what you used to clean up the HG surface? I had a hoot of a time with plastic razor blades, gentle nudges with Subaru's recommended Roloc discs and plenty of gasket remover. Didn't come out quite as clean as yours, but better than the pictures in Subaru's TSB.

For reference, heads and block cleaned up with Subaru's recommended practices:

For scraping, I used a carbide paint scraper I picked up from Home Depot for big pieces of gasket. I used this very sparingly because I found it difficult to scrape without scratching the deck/piston surface, or catching the edge of the cylinder wall with the blade and shaving some of the aluminum away :spin: Razor blade would suffice here too, and, in fact, would probably be safer.

For the most part, though, it was all WD-40 (non-aerosol "trigger pro" spray can), 3M scouring pads, plenty of elbow grease and frequent wipe-downs with shop towels. I honestly wanted it cleaner but didn't want to take off too much material; I figure the shop can clean it further if need be. I'm too used to seeing freshly-machined metal, so I feel like I did a crappy job, but I suppose that's just a perspective thing :lol:

Don't think it needs to be a completely pristine deck, check the pics of the finished surfaces here:

http://www.bescaredracing.com/sti/tsb/cylinder_head_gasket.pdf

I think you get down to the point where the remainder of the material is in the lay of the surface finish, so the surface needs to be cut, or maybe soaked out in solvent, to get it completely clean.

That white disk they recommend will get it but also visibly affected the surface, so I used it sparingly. A local Subaru tech also recommended the green grade 60 bristle discs to me as a better option.

Edited by awfulwaffle

My dash is getting some "soft" spots and it rattles from those dumb mounts Subaru used. I am going to replace it with another at some point. How long did it take you to pull the old one?

j.

If I was doing only the dash, I would probably estimate ~2hrs for removal and the same for putting a new one back in. You could probably do it faster, but that's my estimate with little/no damage to parts.

Replaced the A/C condenser this past weekend (old one got holed by a rock in a pavement milling zone on the interstate) then pulled a good hard vac and recharged. Nice to have it ice cold again after living a couple weeks without, and just in time for the 100* weather about to hit.