LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

Ah I see. It doesn't feel like a CVT though? Or does it feel super smooth?

If your easy ~ moderate on the gas it's CVT with no noticeable shift points when you get more deeply into the gas then she has the noticeable shift points which seems to just drive "some" people bonkers :spin::lol:

If your easy ~ moderate on the gas it's CVT with no noticeable shift points when you get more deeply into the gas then she has the noticeable shift points which seems to just drive "some" people bonkers :spin::lol:

Our ascent is not super smooth at all, it has an abrupt "shift" at low speeds regardless of throttle input, it may in fact shift smoother when you go wot. I will have to try this out, I can't remember. The 2019 legacy I drove was very smooth all over.

Our ascent is not super smooth at all, it has an abrupt "shift" at low speeds regardless of throttle input, it may in fact shift smoother when you go wot. I will have to try this out, I can't remember. The 2019 legacy I drove was very smooth all over.

My '13 2.5i Legacy has those "shift" points under 20 MPH. It doesn't always happen, but I do notice it mainly early in the morning when I drive it cold and then it warms up...

• I Donated
But I don't get that same feeling in our manual 2.5.
The 5th gen (4th gen Outback) 2.5i 6MT is absolute garbage. It's totally gutless, to the point that 6th gear is useless even at highway speeds because if you have to pass someone, you're downshifting to 4th or 3rd. The car is too heavy and the ratios are geared for fuel economy, which isn't good on an underpowered car IMO. I would rather have a manual 9 times out of 10, but honestly it was a good move for them to remove the manual for 2015.

The 5th gen (4th gen Outback) 2.5i 6MT is absolute garbage. It's totally gutless, to the point that 6th gear is useless even at highway speeds because if you have to pass someone, you're downshifting to 4th or 3rd. The car is too heavy and the ratios are geared for fuel economy, which isn't good on an underpowered car IMO. I would rather have a manual 9 times out of 10, but honestly it was a good move for them to remove the manual for 2015.

Considering the outback is a bit heavier than the Legacy (Closer to 4,000 Pounds), it only makes sense that the manual wouldn't feel good...

• I Donated
Considering the outback is a bit heavier than the Legacy (Closer to 4,000 Pounds), it only makes sense that the manual wouldn't feel good...
I was referring to both. The Outback is only about 110 lbs more than the Legacy. That's less than the difference between having an average sized person in the passenger seat, or just having the driver. The 5th gen in all variations is just too overweight to have a 175 hp engine with a wide-ratio 6MT and high drivetrain loss in it.

I was referring to both. The Outback is only about 110 lbs more than the Legacy. That's less than the difference between having an average sized person in the passenger seat, or just having the driver. The 5th gen in all variations is just too overweight to have a 175 hp engine with a wide-ratio 6MT and high drivetrain loss in it.

If only they gave us more ponies :p

• I Donated
If only they gave us more ponies :p
I mean, we've been over this ad nauseam on here. Subaru saw success when they started mainstreaming their cars in the 2008-2010 era. Thus, they abandoned any pretense of catering to the enthusiast beyond the BRZ (which likely will wither on the vine at this point) and the WRX/STI. After they killed the LGT for 2013, the writing was on the wall.

I mean, we've been over this ad nauseam on here. Subaru saw success when they started mainstreaming their cars in the 2008-2010 era. Thus, they abandoned any pretense of catering to the enthusiast beyond the BRZ (which likely will wither on the vine at this point) and the WRX/STI. After they killed the LGT for 2013, the writing was on the wall.

Yup, you nailed it right there.

The 5th gen (4th gen Outback) 2.5i 6MT is absolute garbage. It's totally gutless, to the point that 6th gear is useless even at highway speeds because if you have to pass someone, you're downshifting to 4th or 3rd.

That is your opinion, but I didn't think were that bad. My 2012 2.5i 6MT was decent in 1st and 2nd gear and I thought it had enough to pass car in 6th on the highway. It definitely wasn't fast on the highway, but I rarely downshifted to pass on the highway. My 4th 2.5i 4EAT Outback feels similar on the highway but not as quick off the line. I felt like they were adequate and I would buy another one. It would be nicer with a few more hp. It was a hell of a lot better on the highway than the 2002 Chevy Prizm that I previously owned.

Subaru saw success when they started mainstreaming their cars in the 2008-2010 era. Thus, they abandoned any pretense of catering to the enthusiast beyond the BRZ (which likely will wither on the vine at this point) and the WRX/STI. After they killed the LGT for 2013, the writing was on the wall.

Buyer also were not buying them, it is just as much on buyers as it is the manufacturers. Lots of Subaru's (08 FXT 5MT, 07 LGT Wagon, 09 Spec.b, 09 OBXT 5MT, 12 LGT) in the last year of production that only sold couple hundred units.

Buyer also were not buying them, it is just as much on buyers as it is the manufacturers. Lots of Subaru's (08 FXT 5MT, 07 LGT Wagon, 09 Spec.b, 09 OBXT 5MT, 12 LGT) in the last year of production that only sold couple hundred units.

lets face it, if they don't offer auto options the Normies won't buy them and auto enthusiasts just don't make up a large enough portion of their buyers for Subaru to cater to. the LGT would have probably made a full model run if there was an auto option and likely with production number closer to 2010 before they realized not too many people want a manual mid sized sedan that is over 30K.

Edited by ripstik

lets face it, if they don't offer auto options the Normies won't buy them and auto enthusiasts just don't make up a large enough portion of their buyers for Subaru to cater to. the LGT would have probably made a full model run if there was an auto option and likely with production number closer to 2010 before they realized not too many people want a manual mid sized sedan that is over 30K.

The rest of the world got the 2.5GT/5EAT version of the 5th Gen. I think Subaru intended to only put 3.6R/5EAT in the Outback and the Legacy got that automatic version of the optional engine. (though Subaru did experiment with offer both GT and 3.0R at the end of the 4th Gen Legacy production) As far as I know, no other market beside US/CA had the 3.6R/5EAT in the OB or Legacy. Obviously a 6MT version only did not help.

Edited by dgoodhue

The rest of the world got the 2.5GT/5EAT version of the 5th Gen. I think Subaru intended to only put 3.6R/5EAT in the Outback and the Legacy got that automatic version of the optional engine. (though Subaru did experiment with offer both GT and 3.0R at the end of the 4th Gen Legacy production) As far as I know, no other market beside US/CA had the 3.6R/5EAT in the OB or Legacy. Obviously a 6MT version only did not help.

Now if only we had been offered an H6/6mt option!

^^and most of us enthusiasts buy from the 2nd hand market, not new so there goes any semblance of "demand" as far as dealers and manufacturers are concerned.

Exactly. Why doesn't the WRX, STI, and BRZ/86 have more stuff that would appeal to me personally? Because I wouldn't buy one new anyways...

Subaru is a business, so ultimately they exist to make money.

Hey Subaru Fam,

Thought I'd update you all on my post Legacy GT life. As some of you know, I got rid of my LGT for a new Tacoma, but after a year, the truck life was no longer fun so I went back to the sports sedan life.

After mulling around possibilities of going back to the unpredictable world of German sedans, I lucked out and found something I've always wanted to purchase.

A very low mile, last year in a manual, 2014 Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT.

That's a mouthful... I know, but you know what else it is?

It's INCREDIBLE.

This chassis, from the factory easily out handles my LGT even after I swapped the suspension.

The SH-AWD is simply amazing, and is completely seamless and "invisible". At the limits you can literally steer with the throttle, all this while the car weighs a good 300lbs more than my Subaru. It literally shrinks around you when you drive it, feeling like a 4 door AWD Acura RSX TYPE S...

Down sides?:

I would say the steering was more communicative in the Subaru, and my LGT definitely dropped the torque waaaay earlier.

This car has a 307HP 3.7 liter 6cyl Vtech, so you have to wind it up to get it's torque, but the engine is so ridiculous creamy and linear, it's like driving racecar or motorcycle. So it's incredibly gratifying. Toe/Heels are so easy, it's almost funny. And we won't even get on the shifter feel, it's a Honda, so it's simply the best.

I've owned Honda's and Acuras before, so it's interesting coming back to the brand after owning so many Subarus and VW's, just so much more refinement.

Anyway, my LGT definitely had a bigger trunk, more spacious back seat, and a much more broad aftermarket community.

The acurazine forum is pathetic compared to here, a bunch "bro's" who mostly don't know anything about car mechanics, but there are some shining moments in the electronics areas.

I would say the gas mileage is about the same on a good day out of boost I could get mileage on the LGT but only by about 1 or 2 mpg.

Overall, I'm extremely happy, and look forward to wheel and tire shopping, as well suspension, but my options are very limited on that front. I'll send you guys/gals pictures as I continue.

Ask any questions you like if you're interested in knowing more about this car.

Cheers08df43f4d3cd29eb7da00b6c8e861571.jpg6d7315fc2a55a83a16a1408bdea05622.jpg7ad8aea7dbbf891b85cd71cce8b7ddc4.jpg7594101fd20a921163149602faa68d0e.jpg0a2a685891040016ff7b956526584f8a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jealous of that acura, i was looking for one like that the same time i was looking for my GT--the SH-AWD really is a great system, and that v6 is a fantastic engine.

i hope you enjoy it

I agree. I lost out on two TL's before my LGT showed up. They are great cars.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk