LegacyGT.com

What'd you do to your FIRST Gen. Subaru today?

The heater on the SS kept shutting off. I figured it was a fuse problem so I replaced the fuse. That worked for a day or two. Then I cleaned the fuse contacts the fuse. That worked for another day or so. Then I started wiggling the fuse, and that would again work for a little while.

I finally realized that while I was poking around down there what was causing the heater to shut on and off wasn't the fuse at all. It was the harness plug that is near the bottom of the fuse box to the right of it. If I jiggled it the heater would come on. I tried stuffing some paper in between the plug to hold it steady and that worked for a day, lol.

Then I got smart and removed the plug and crimped the connectors to tighten them up a bit. Now it is working perfectly. My poor wife drove to work in 5 degree weather with no heat. Hopefully that will all be over.

This last week was full of subie drama, after my new aem coilpacks came in and I installed them with no hitch. They fired right up, they showed a much brighter spark than the factory 20g coilpacks. I drove it around town for a day then I lost my transmission, broke one tooth off first gear and didn't even notice it till I put it in 1st. It did have 140,000 miles and was making noise in 1st and 2nd since 100k mi. Luckily one of my nasioc drinking buddies had an 02 wrx 5 speed and diff in his garage left over from his jdm v8/6 speed swap which hauls bawls. He gave me and let me install it in his heated garage for a supply of beer for the two days. We pulled a two day marathon swapping everything. 36 beers later... Only thing wrong with the wrx trans is the transfer gears and center diff were traded a while ago for a worn out set. It makes a rolling noise at all speeds. I will be removing old ones and having new bearings pressed on the transfer gears as I've read theyre a maintenance issue on the 5 speeds. There was a few things that needed to be used from my SS tranny and nothing came easy with this swap. Now I have the 3.54 rear vlsd and love the higher gearing and extra traction in the rear. Hopefully this wrx trans will last until I gather the parts for a 6 speed swap.

Im not as big drinker but my buddy is, I have my natural, medicinal fix. Yes fd is 3.9 but I believe the 1.1:1 transfer ratio drops its to a 3.54. Either way the wrx trans matches the wrx diff, I would have some issues if it didn't. Feels great so far and my 0-60 times will be improved as I shift out of 2nd after 60mph. I will also have to drill and tap a starter hole as the phase 2 bell housing were different. Also one of the bottom studs on my downpipe/turbo was stripped and wouldn't budge, even with the hot wrench. I will replace the studs with bolts to make it easy to remove in the future. Also the phase 2 trans has extra humps for bolts that forced me to loosen, move the turbo to fit the trans. I may have to drill and tap the engine block to utilize all the bellhousing bolts as i was only able to get 4 total. That definetly kills my confidence to step on it. I will be taking it easy until the little issues are solved bit school just started and its my DD. The shifter linkage mount on the tranny had to be swapped out along with some grinding to swap the dogbone mount.I swapped the driveshaft flange on the diff to use my old driveshaft, the wrx front axles were needed but they fit my hubs fine. The speedo swapped fine and I don't use any of the wiring from the tranny. Edited by USLiberty

anyone know why someone would disconnect the hill holder? I was cruzin down the block one day when all of a sudden no go?? popped the hood at the light and noticed it wasnt connected turned it the other way and drove away. tied it off with some tie wire and it seems to be fine. looks like everything is there but disconnected.why why why??

anyone know why someone would disconnect the hill holder? I was cruzin down the block one day when all of a sudden no go?? popped the hood at the light and noticed it wasnt connected turned it the other way and drove away. tied it off with some tie wire and it seems to be fine. looks like everything is there but disconnected.why why why??

Some of us appreciate the challenge of using a clutch and right foot braking like real men... Just kidding. I ended up leaving mine disconnected after I put my motor in. The hours spent getting my clutch cable threaded and re-connected relieved me of all my patience and ability to work in cramped spaces. That, and I am a real man...:)

mine wasnt hooked up when i bought it. sooo i spent 45 minutes finding new nuts to hook it up only to find out the clutch petal felt like a king cobra mustang clutch petal after i was done. so i disconnected it again. and I am alot happier with it disconnected.( so is my left leg):spin:you dont need it anyway

I'm so psyched!!! After almost a year after my rebuild and chasing problems the SS is finally running like it should. :)

I have been having numerous issues, HGs, fuel system, boost leaks, exploding coolant lines, misfiring, fuel cut, etc. Replaced HGs, air intake, turbo inlet elbow, injectors, fuel pump, plugs, wires, vacuum lines, fuel lines, coolant lines, seals, etc.

I went to the junkyard and I found a tleggy tw (22T was long gone). It still had its MAF so I yanked it, cleaned it, and installed it. Now my SS is a super BEAST! :icon_twis It throws you into the back of your seat and hits boost instantly. And then if I switch on Power Mode it goes even more batshit crazy. I'm so stoked!!!! I had no idea that this car could perform so well.

I gave the keys to the wifey and let her test out her car. She was freaking out. :) She can't wait for the TDO4 and TMIC now.

Congratulations. The really are sweet cars when they're running right, which is surprisingly often. These cars show up in the yards occasionally in California and go completely ignored. I've stripped three of things clean with 0 competition. I currently have an original, untouched '92 touring wagon motor in my '90 Legacy wagon. Pulled the valve covers off and it looked brand-new inside, so I left it alone. Currently building a stroker motor with a junkyard 22t I found several years ago. It's taken me forever due to grad school. Like four years. No time, no money. Almost done!

Welcome to the site 90LegacySTI! I'd love to see some pics. I also have a 22T block that I want to do a stroker build with. I got the block from my neighbor when she scrapped her touring wagon. But I am also short on funds as a recent graduate and having a tough time finding a decent job. I'm considering grad school in the next year or two...

Did you swap in the wiring harness as well into your 90?

Picked my baby up from the shop after having them install a new differential and drove it home, might I add that the mechanic that installed it told me that the car ran so good that it impressed everyone in the shop. Which means they underestimated it :D

Yeah, getting a job right out of undergrad is tough. I recommend speaking with some professors about their work with genuine interest. You may be able to get a paid ride through grad school like I did. I was very lucky. I think a Master's is the ideal degree for most professions. It allows you to be at the top of your field educationally without being overqualified.

Enough about school! I installed a 2005 STI drivetrain and brakes. It looks amazing, better than I expected. It's white without a roof rack. The car was free! I grafted on a hood scoop from a 05-07 WRX. Took me forever. Lots of cutting, fitting, cutting, bondoing, sanding, you know.

The car was originally an automatic. I hunted down a manual trans, ABS, manual climate control, N/A 90-91 wagon harness. Needless to say it took me awhile. I swapped that in and then added the wiring for the turbo system. Not too difficult, but required switching the cam and crank position sensor wiring to the ECU. I also installed a WRX metal coolant tank to the front of the engine. The STI swap pretty much bolted right in, but I did replace the bushings with Group N to tighten things up. It was by far the hardest part of the job. I'll post some pics when I get back home early next week. Let me know if you have any questions, I've probably run across the problem by now!

Edited by 90LegacySTI
Left out some details

• 2 weeks later...

^I need to see pics of the hood scoop!!! :) It'll only take you a minute.

I raced my wife today. She was driving 'her' SS and I was driving the 95 w/22E. She blew everyone out of the water. Made me proud. I reminded her later that I am the only reason her SS even runs. :cool:

Wow...I took the shifter linkage out of my wagon, started at 830 am, got it out at about 1130. What a b**** and a half that was. When I replace it I think ill just do it the easy way and drop the transmission. Lol. I had to leave the u joint in there..I got the spring pin out of it, but it seems there is two that have to come out. The first spring pin went into a sleeve, or I'm wrong but I couldn't get that one out and the knuckle doesn't slide off that shaft.

I'm going to mega u pull to get a linkage off an 05 wrx out there to replace it with so we shall see.

Wow...I took the shifter linkage out of my wagon, started at 830 am, got it out at about 1130. What a b**** and a half that was. When I replace it I think ill just do it the easy way and drop the transmission. Lol. I had to leave the u joint in there..I got the spring pin out of it, but it seems there is two that have to come out. The first spring pin went into a sleeve, or I'm wrong but I couldn't get that one out and the knuckle doesn't slide off that shaft.

I'm going to mega u pull to get a linkage off an 05 wrx out there to replace it with so we shall see.

This weekend I pulled the transfer gears out to replace the 4 bearings on my wrx swapped transmission and discovered whoever reinstalled the old transfer gear set didn't reinstall one of the bearings on the center diff. I am lucky nothing broke in the short time I was driving it, I was able to use hand tools and a vise to install 3 of 4 bearings but 1 had to be pressed off at a machine shop. Apparently the factory bearings were inferior and wear out prematurely so replacing them with an updated bearing set is a regular maintenance issue with the 5 speeds. I wonder how many people threw out their 5 speeds because of those bearings making noise.