LegacyGT.com

Exhaust smell / Recall WUJ-95

I have a 2015 Legacy and i've started to notice an exhaust smell. In the morning i pull out the car to letting warm up and and I turn on the heater because it's cold outside. 5 minutes later I get into the car to leave and it just smells like exhaust in the car. Anyone have any ideas or experience on what this could be causing this?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, this is an emission recall, the cat will rust and leak gas into the cabin. I'm dealing with Subaru right now because they don't have the parts to fix it it but this is a health concern as I drive a toddler in the car. The smell is awful, Subaru is giving me a work around as they don't have the parts yet. Will never buy a Subaru again to be honest, its been a recall for months and still no fix? This is a major concern, this is not something small, gas leaks are serious and my car has been smelling like this for over 2 years but they did nothing about it . Awful service

... this is an emission recall, the cat will rust and leak gas into the cabin.

Source? Link? Recall ID number?

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Yes, this is an emission recall, the cat will rust and leak gas into the cabin. I'm dealing with Subaru right now because they don't have the parts to fix it it but this is a health concern as I drive a toddler in the car. The smell is awful, Subaru is giving me a work around as they don't have the parts yet. Will never buy a Subaru again to be honest, its been a recall for months and still no fix? This is a major concern, this is not something small, gas leaks are serious and my car has been smelling like this for over 2 years but they did nothing about it . Awful service

What is the source and recall number?

Emission recall WUJ-95

I made an entire thread about it

Hmmmm. "WUJ-xx" would be a typical Subaru recall ID (as opposed to a TSB), but the only result returned by a global search of the entire forum for the term "WUJ-95" is this thread.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Yeah strange how there's like nothing coming on google, but it's a thing. I found a random 2015 legacy vin number from a Canadian Subaru dealership, plugged into the Subaru Canada recall page, and it came up.

Edit: The subaru canada recall page doesn't offer much info, it just says "Cracks on the front exhaust pipe bellows".

Edited by apexi

Emission recall WUJ-95

I made an entire thread about it

Thanks for the info.

My car has 97K miles, I do have the 7 yr/100K mile extra warranty.

I called the dealer and made an appt. to have them look at the car.

I mentioned the recall number and she indicated she did a search on my car for recalls and that Emission recall WUJ-95 didn't pop up. Maybe it's a TSB?

I also did a good search for WUJ-95 and nothing came up.

Hmmmm. The only result returned by a global search of the entire forum for the term "WUJ-95" is this thread.

I've searched the NHTSA and STIS web sites, and there is no reference to recall "WUJ-95." Is this perhaps Canada only?

Edit: I also searched the recall database on the Transport Canada web site, and there was no reference to a Subaru recall "WUJ-95."

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

I've searched the NHTSA and STIS web sites, and there is no reference to recall "WUJ-95." Is this perhaps Canada only?

Edit: I also searched the recall database on the Transport Canada web site, and there was no reference to a Subaru recall "WUJ-95."

Thanks for checking. Would have been nice to have a true recall to give to the dealer. I wonder if has the wrong number?

I wonder how they fix that if it's broken like in the pictures below. I'd imagine a new manifold, but I'm not sure.

I also wonder if the OP's exhaust is cracked in same location as the pics in the links below. Too bad the bolts holding the heatshield together might be super rusty, and difficult to remove/separate.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/exhaust-pipe-crack-2016-outback-2-5i.466457/post-5307889

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/cracked-catalytic-converter.505367/post-5769981

I'm thinking the crack is in the "flexible" part shown in the pictures above, it must be under stress or something. The catalytic converter is integrated into the exhaust manifold. I highly doubt the actual cat portion has a crack, they probably just call the whole manifold the cat.

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2015_Legacy-25L-CVT-4WD-Premium-Sedan/CONVERTER-COMPLETE-FRONT/69985345/44620AD82C.html

I'm thinking the crack is in the "flexible" part shown in the pictures above, it must be under stress or something. The catalytic converter is integrated into the exhaust manifold. I highly doubt the actual cat portion has a crack, they probably just call the whole manifold the cat.

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2015_Legacy-25L-CVT-4WD-Premium-Sedan/CONVERTER-COMPLETE-FRONT/69985345/44620AD82C.html

Holly cow $1,257 .So does this require the hole thing to be replaced? or just the flexible part? Is there an after market option?

So does this require the hole thing to be replaced? or just the flexible part?

The catalytic converter, both exhaust manifolds, and the flex bellows are all one welded assembly. (2.5 engine only; the 3.6 is different.)

spacer.png

Holly cow $1,257 .So does this require the hole thing to be replaced? or just the flexible part? Is there an after market option?

I've heard aftermarket cats are junk, I wouldn't touch one of those. I think it's the precious metals inside the cat that make it so expensive.

I'm really curious to know how Subaru fixes this problem as well. I mean, you can just cut out the bad flex pipe, weld in a new one that is a different material, more flexible, stronger, something. I think that's what a regular shop would do. But I don't know if Subaru will expect their dealer techs to do that kind of work, that's why I kind of think that maybe they just replace the whole manifold, but what if the new one cracks too..?

Would be really expensive for Subaru to replace all those cats, especially when they had another cat recall on some older models like mine, but that was for a completely different issue. (https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/service-program-wqd-40-front-catalytic-converter-replacement-engine-control-203916.html)

I've heard aftermarket cats are junk, I wouldn't touch one of those. I think it's the precious metals inside the cat that make it so expensive.

I'm really curious to know how Subaru fixes this problem as well. I mean, you can just cut out the bad flex pipe, weld in a new one that is a different material, more flexible, stronger, something. I think that's what a regular shop would do. But I don't know if Subaru will expect their dealer techs to do that kind of work, that's why I kind of think that maybe they just replace the whole manifold, but what if the new one cracks too..?

Would be really expensive for Subaru to replace all those cats, especially when they had another cat recall on some older models like mine, but that was for a completely different issue. (https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/service-program-wqd-40-front-catalytic-converter-replacement-engine-control-203916.html)

Of all cars have owned(10) i've never had to replace a catalytic converter. Some of my cars had over 250k. Seems as people are having issues with cracks on the catalytic converter.

Yeah but it's highly unlikely it's the actual catalytic converter portion that is cracked, outlined in green below. It's likely just the flexible part as you noted in your link, and the two outback links I posted above. I'm calling the entire assembly below the exhaust manifold or manifold, since only a small part of it is the catalytic converter. Some of this may be obvious, but I just wanted to say it anyway since there might be some confusion, the cracked part in the link above is just hollow flexible pipe.

manifold.jpg.1ac05a674a15b284ec153c85dda78d1f.jpg

Yeah but it's highly unlikely it's the actual catalytic converter portion that is cracked, outlined in green below. It's likely just the flexible part as you noted in your link, and the two outback links I posted above. I'm calling the entire assembly below the exhaust manifold or manifold, since only a small part of it is the catalytic converter. Some of this may be obvious, but I just wanted to say it anyway since there might be some confusion, the cracked part in the link above is just hollow flexible pipe.

I called the dealer to get more info and he did say that the crack was on the flexible part. Said it's not covered under warranty but said he was going to talk to Subaru, hopefully they can goodwill it. I am just worried that this will happen again in the future. they indicated there were oil leaks under the protector intake manifold shield, why would there be oil there?

I'd be livid if Subaru didn't cover that under warranty, especially when there's a recall in Canada over the same thing. Not to mention federal and pzev warranty, even if the cat itself is still working properly, this should count in my opinion. I think the dealer knows that, and why they're trying to see if they'll goodwill it. I wonder what state you're in, to see what your emissions laws are there, and what's covered under warranty.

The good news is, I think an exhaust shop, or independent shop could weld in a new flex pipe at a fraction of the cost of a new cat/manifold.

edit: I'm not sure where or what that intake manifold shield is, maybe something with the pcv system. The intake manifold for my 4th gen had a bunch of oil in it when I removed the throttle body and looked inside.

Edited by apexi

I'd be livid if Subaru didn't cover that under warranty, especially when there's a recall in Canada over the same thing. Not to mention federal and pzev warranty, even if the cat itself is still working properly, this should count in my opinion. I think the dealer knows that, and why they're trying to see if they'll goodwill it. I wonder what state you're in, to see what your emissions laws are there, and what's covered under warranty.

The good news is, I think an exhaust shop, or independent shop could weld in a new flex pipe at a fraction of the cost of a new cat/manifold.

edit: I'm not sure where or what that intake manifold shield is, maybe something with the pcv system. The intake manifold for my 4th gen had a bunch of oil in it when I removed the throttle body and looked inside.

The subaru dealer called me and told me they are going to goodwill and replace it at no cost (super happy about this). I am in Idaho, it is still the 8) years or 80,000 miles for it. They also stated my coolant was low and asked me if i noticed a leak i told them no but i have had to keep adding coolant, they are going to do a compression test. It's getting scary and scary by the day.