LegacyGT.com

Stumped on how to disconnect the brake lines from the rear struts.

I must not be remembering right, but I could swear when I replaced my struts, I was able to just feed the brake line back out through the tab that holds them...

...am I making that up? I don't remember any cutting or sawing. That sounds rather barbaric!

just use vice grips and bend the tab off that holds the brake line to your old strut. and then you can reattach them with zip ties latter on if you want to save time.

or remove the line from the brakes, and twist the piping around and through the brake line holder......you will need to bleed your brakes afterwards...hence y i took the first option.

zip ties can work.

i suspect they will not last as long as the metal brackets.

but as long as you are under your car on a regular basis, no worries.

or you can cut the bracket , that's what i do.

the bracket is square-ish with the line thru the center.

on the side opposite from where it attaches to the strut, cut out a center section wide enough to slide the brake line through.

this turns the square into a "U" shape with the bottom of the U attached to the strut.

slide out the brake line and replace the strut.

the bracket and the retaining clip are such that you can reassemble the brake line and they will hold it in place even with the 'cut out'.

or you can disconnect the brake line from the caliper and feed it through the bracket on the strut.

after the re-assembly you just bleed the brakes.

Archived