LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

Coworker bought a '17 M3. His assigned parking spot is next to mine.

The office horsepower wars have begun. How much power do I need to generate to keep up with him? (e.g., a sub-4 second 0-60 time). Do you think a 18G/TD05 + E85 will get me there? (e.g., did anybody with this setup post their 0-60 times)

Those M3 are pretty fast. A quick google search show low 12 sec quarter mile and traps speed in the high one - teens. I haven't seen any 5th gen come anywhere close to those trap speeds, so I doubt your going to have any luck from a roll on those Mexican road trips.

One thing about 0-60 times is that will good traction and AWD you can have a slower 0-60 time, but be ahead of them when doing reaching 60. You would need to launch your hard to do that and it probably won't be the best for the longevity of the stock 6MT.

I've been an avid awd car guy because 1 car all year round for Quebec's harsh winters.. the excuse of... "but I use it 365days a year" is getting old for me .... drove a 2010 M5 and ooooooo boy she makes me want to own a second car for winter... yah even though its a 2010.

2010 M5 beast! 12LGT daily?... hmmmm

Current-gen M3/M4s - meh. Especially with 'pops n bangs' t00ns and any flat/satin or colored chrome vinyl wraps.

The brand ended with the E36/E46 and E39 M cars.

Interesting thought. After 6+ years owning a 2000 Outback wagon I've just joined this community with a 2012 Legacy 2.5i as my daily.

My toy(s) during that time were first an E36 M3, and for about the last three years a 2003 E39 M5. Love that car, IMO it's one of the greatest all-around cars ever designed.

So anyone got any good carseat suggestions for a permanent resident of my backseat? I've got 6 month's to decide but am excited as can be! It's been 3 years in the making and finally not 3 weeks after moving in to our own house it happens right about the time we discussed not pushing the issue till later this year.

8 weeks

measured 6.5cm

Heart rate was 178bpm

4d724f145dc18d360b1a4d2554929312.jpg

Edited by foxrider28

Planning on doing the Prothane rear diff inserts and the Rallitek 5EAT bushing tonight with a buddy's help. Doused the all the bolts in PB blaster last night, gonna swing by Home Depot on lunch and grab some C-clamps to assist in pushing the trans bushing in, hoping everything goes well. I know it's gonna be a bit tight working on the rearmost diff inserts, but we've got box ends and such. Gonna dig through the vacation pics for torque specs, but I don't think we'll have access to a box end torque wrench.

Anything I should watch out for or be aware of?

Edited by Humble Rumble

Planning on doing the Prothane rear diff inserts and the Rallitek 5EAT bushing tonight with a buddy's help. Doused the all the bolts in PB blaster last night, gonna swing by Home Depot on lunch and grab some C-clamps to assist in pushing the trans bushing in, hoping everything goes well. I know it's gonna be a bit tight working on the rearmost diff inserts, but we've got box ends and such. Gonna dig through the vacation pics for torque specs, but I don't think we'll have access to a box end torque wrench.

Anything I should watch out for or be aware of?

Sounds like you have a good idea of what you're getting into. I had a real hard time with my rear diff inserts, but GTeaser said his went smooth so who knows how you'll find it.

Rear diff inserts will result in a marked improvement because she's ~6 and the OEs have worn. Not as much of an improvement on a 1-2 year old Subaru.

Best bang for the

I hope you went with the 'soft' 5EAT insert. That too will give a big difference and you'll be amazed at how much sag has been introduced to the 5EAT position now vs what it will look like when the insert is in. Only downside, if any, is the 3->2->3 shudders on up/down shifts while coming to a stop or quickly accelerating will be a tad more pronounced. It is what is it.

Rear diff inserts will result in a marked improvement because she's ~6 and the OEs have worn. Not as much of an improvement on a 1-2 year old Subaru.

Best bang for the

I hope you went with the 'soft' 5EAT insert. That too will give a big difference and you'll be amazed at how much sag has been introduced to the 5EAT position now vs what it will look like when the insert is in. Only downside, if any, is the 3->2->3 shudders on up/down shifts while coming to a stop or quickly accelerating will be a tad more pronounced. It is what is it.

Yep, did go with the soft one. Excited for the feeling improvement on both items. The shudders around 2 & 3 aren't that big of an issue on mine, but I'm noticing more lurches coming down to 1st and letting off the accelerator while in 3rd. Figuring these will go a good ways to improving both.

Edited by Humble Rumble

kinda bummed about this, what are you moving on to Perscitus
Ah yes. Nothing for now, car-less for sometime.

In more interesting news, you guys might enjoy this video shot by my brother from my home of the Macy's 4th of July fireworks this year. Last few years' we've been lucky to get almost all the barges lined up directly in front of my windows.

1.thumb.PNG.f099789cffe26c949be4b5cfb9d0610f.PNG

Edited by Perscitus

Congrats foxrider!!! We had a Graco carrier until they grew out of it, then went with Diono as a permanent carseat/booster

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

We also went with Diono a radian rxt and Pacifica models. They are very safe, FAA approved, and ours has a harness rated up to 90 lbs for forward facing. We love both of ours.

On our 2nd we gave up on the carrier type seat he was too heavy to comfortably carry anywhere. So we got a stroller and ergo baby carrier. Highly recommend the ergo carrier they are cheap on Ebay and durable as well as comfortable. Also, we got our BOB revolution used locally for $100. Buy used strollers!

We test drove the Ascent last night, I must say whoever is whining about the 3.6 doesnt' know what they are missing, instant torque and really good pull up the rpm range. And the smoothest Subaru I have been in. My wife wants to do a car seat test fit...I was hoping to prolong any purchase until next year...but idk now.

Edited by FLlegacy

So anyone got any good carseat suggestions for a permanent resident of my backseat? I've got 6 month's to decide but am excited as can be! It's been 3 years in the making and finally not 3 weeks after moving in to our own house it happens right about the time we discussed not pushing the issue till later this year.

8 weeks

measured 6.5cm

Heart rate was 178bpm

4d724f145dc18d360b1a4d2554929312.jpg

Congrat's. We have the 2017 Uppababy Mesa. I heard good things about the Britax. Before you purchase any car seat. You need to do some research to see if there are any recall. You can also purchase another mounting base for the Uppababy and I think there is also a universal base for the Britax if you have another vehicle.

My wife is 34W pregnant as of today. We knew the gender at 12W from NIPT.

Edited by amusa

We test drove the Ascent last night, I must say whoever is whining about the 3.6 doesnt' know what they are missing, instant torque and really good pull up the rpm range. And the smoothest Subaru I have been in. My wife wants to do a car seat test fit...I was hoping to prolong any purchase until next year...but idk now.

Did you drive an Ascent with an engine swap? :)