LegacyGT.com

P0011 Code for a non-turbo2

New member here. I have a 2014 Subaru Legacy without a turbo. My wife was driving home from work yesterday and the CEL, broken and cruise control lights kept blinking. This morning when we started up the car all the lights were off. Drove for 30 minutes without any issue. Came to Pep boys and they pulled a P0011 code.

I sifted through some of the threads and everyone that has the code has had a turbo. I haven't seen any for a non turbo legacy.

We live in western New York where it's been around 1 degree for the last week. The only thing I did was kick the snow out of the wheel wells.

Appreciate any guidance.

P0011 is related to camshaft position/AVCS system performance.

Taken from a post on NASIOC, check these things:

A) Low oil levels

B) Dirty or contaminated oil

C) Low oil pressure

D) Oil blockage

E) Incorrect camshaft timing

Because of temps, I would lean towards it being an oiling problem. Check the level, and if its ok and the car is still running correctly, you can rule out anything major. As long as it hasn't come back since, I would monitor it until it gets a little warmer. If it does come back, I would consider the possibility of a blockage.

This is common on turbo cars because they have more places/filters for blockages to occur.

For the 2014, P0011 is described as "Intake cam position - timing over advanced or system performance, bank 1" - here's info from the service manual on why the code sets and how to diagnose/repair

Capture2.thumb.JPG.ac263566f9dc2cea52d851d5b0e1ebd5.JPG

Capture1.thumb.JPG.ce20605f0329aa141e5db097bc789733.JPG

Also - if your oil level was low, you would have a light on the dash (there is both a level indicator light and a pressure indicator light - when the oil is at the base off the dipstick, you get the yellow level light indicating (so maybe a quart low))

Thanks DrD. I'm a real novice when it comes to technical stuff like this. It does not seem like something I can diagnose or fix without more advanced equipment.

Is this something I should rush to the mechanic to fix or can I drive it the next few days until I get a day off to bring it to a mechanic?

Well, given the low miles, I'd clear the code and drive it a bit and see if it comes back. How fresh is the battery? Low voltage can make modern cars act odd as well. The symptoms they describe don't seem in line with what you were observing (car driving fine, the only "issue" being flashing lights, then throwing a code...) so I wonder if it's not something else like an electrical gremlin... if you drive it a bit and it starts acting up (rough idle, maybe a stall) and throws the code again, then I'd look more closely.

First thing the mechanic will do is run through the diagnostic procedure, so if it's not reproducible/persistent, they aren't going to be able to find it easily (if the car behaves normally for them, then that's what they will report pack) - you should still be under the 5/60 powertrain warranty though, I imagine, so maybe it's not a bad idea to at least give them a call.

• 2 months later...

Archived